old cars

java

This is all in theory....

Would it be safe to transport kids in an old vehicle? Say that old vehicle didn't have seatbelts but you could install approved seatbelts? Say it didn't have the optional backseat from the factory, but you could find one that fit from another vehicle and get it mounted properly? Would it be safe then or no because not everything came from the original manufacture (who isn't around anymore)

So different vehicle seat (mounted correctly), approved locking shoulder belts, and tether points for ffing seats. Would you do it? Or would it not be safe?

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
It would really depend on *how* approved everything was, and how confident I was that things were installed correctly. Not having seatbelts OR a back seat wouldn't sit well with me personally, but others have different comfort levels.

As for whether it's safe, "safe" is a relative term. Having seatbelts is safer than not having them. Being in a new car with modern safety features will generally be safer than an old car without them. So is it safe to be buckled into an old car with retrofitted seatbelts? Well, it's safer than not being in a seatbelt at all, probably.

tiggercat

Depends: was the mounting method crash tested? Same re: seatbelt attachments? If it didn't come with belts originally, it likely wasn't engineered to be load bearing in all of the necessary areas. Same with TA's, a vehicle that old wouldn't have TA points or approved locations so you would be relying on the person putting them in to determine if the area was structurally strong enough to withstand crash forces.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

AK Dad

As for whether it's safe, "safe" is a relative term.

That's the key right there - too many people think of "safe" in black & white terms, and even when talking brand-new vehicles off the lot it's still not black & white.

I'm personally a huge "gearhead" and have a '65 Mustang that I bought when I was 14 that I'm in the process of restoring and modding. Now that I've become such a huge safety advocate I'll say that I do have some second thoughts about using it as a daily driver. I will however be doing as much as I can to make it as safe as possible. So far I've completely hacked out the factory front end and welded in an aftermarket double A-arm coilover with rack & pinion. It's already got a 4-point roll bar (that I installed back in HS so I could put shoulder belts in it, but I think I'm going to finish it off into an 8-point cage before it's done. The other couple of things I'm going to do is put a FuelSafe fuel cell (which has a self-sealing inner membrane and foam in the tank) to minimize fire risk, as well as there's a company that makes an aftermarket collapsable steering column for it.

Now, does any of that make it come close to the safety offered by a new (or even 10-year-old for that matter) car? Probably not, but is it safer than stock? Certainly. Safer than a motorcycle? I'm sure it will be. Any guarantees? Nope! I don't have the budget for that!

What was the original question again? :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC