OK to leave 2nd row seat folded while driving?

Kitkat

I'm trying to install a rear-facing seat in the our third row, but the seat in front of it can't unfold if I do so. It seems like I read something years ago that the seat in front of a passenger should be upright for safety but I can't find anything about that now, maybe it's just for school busses? If it matters, our vehicle is a 2008 Chrysler Aspen, and the car seat is a 2018 Britax Boulevard. I have the car seat at the most upright RF angle allowed per the "bubble".

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Hi! This is an unusual enough question that I'm not 100% sure what to tell you. If the seat does not lock in the folded position, it's a hard no. But other than that, I'm not precisely sure! I would check if your vehicle manual mentions anything about driving with the seats folded. If it cautions against it, then you shouldn't do it. Is the car seat 80% on the vehicle seat it's installed on, just to check? When it's installed, how far out over the seat in front does it hang?

Kitkat

The base of the car seat was completely on the third row vehicle seat with no overhang, but the second row seats do not lock in the folded position, so I guess that's not an option. Back to putting the car seat in the second row and scrunching the front passenger. Thanks for your help!

DogznKatz

Do you have 2 or 3 seating in the 2nd row? If you have 3 seating can you try the center position with a seatbelt? The top of the car seat may fall between the two front seats giving some space. Also, I have found with some clients that the front passenger is too reclined. If that seat is more upright, then the front seat may be able to slide back a bit providing more leg room.

Kitkat

Thanks for the suggestion! I did try the second row center seat, but the belt stalks are short so having the car seat there makes it nearly impossible to buckle/unbuckle the outboard seatbelts.
Front seat forward with a bit of recline or upright and back a tad, either way it's really tight for a grown man. It's become more of an issue lately with our teen learning to drive; dad is in the passenger seat a lot more often. Even for me it's tight, but for him it's really uncomfortable.
Since we don't take my little one out much anyway due to COVID, I decided to just take the seat out, and install it on an as-needed basis. It'll be a bit of a hassle, but seems to be the best option for now.

Kitkat

Second row does not slide back. I feel like the driver shouldn't be squished but it might be worth a try when DH is riding passenger. I might try the center again too, and see if I can off-center it enough to be able to use one outboard seat. We only need 6 out of the 8 seats, so as long as I can fold one for third row access, I can leave the other off limits.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC