Oddessey vs Sienna

smackeen

What van would you go with? We are looking at the 8 seaters (possibly).

We test drove the oddessey today and really liked it. Could not test drive the sienna as they did not have it on the lot.

8 seats are not exactly required, but could be with carpooling if needed.

I have one booster, a forward facer (possibly booster) and youngest will be forward facing at the time of purchase (hopefully + 12 months)

ADS

nannykates

The current odyssey is much much better than the current sienna. However the previous generation of sienna was better than the previous odyssey.

The current odyssey is much much better than the current sienna. However the previous generation of sienna was better than the previous odyssey.

That's my opinion too.

Think the current Odyssey is way better than the Sienna. From base model to the top.

I much prefer the last gen Sienna over the Odyssey. Both 7 seat and 8 seat versions.

smackeen

Thanks.

Looking at a 2014 more than likely. Depends on how long current van decides to last.

12-24 months down the road, barring any major vehicle issues.

Shancouchon

Love the finishing touches on my Oddy! I did not like the rubber tracking for seats in the Sienna, too much potential for crayons and snacks to go missing. Also I just loved the way the Oddy drove and the fact that the middle (8th) seat was comfortable for an adult to use when the time arrived. Just my opinion on why I chose the Oddy over the Sienna.

threeundertwo

We have a 2011 Odyssey and love it! Biggest advantage in my opinion over the current Sienna (and why we went with the Odyssey) is 3 sets of LATCH in the 2nd row. We also have 3 kids and love being able to put all of them in the 2nd row. Couldn't do that in the current generation of the Sienna, although you might since not all your kids are harnessed. There's no LATCH or top-tether in the middle seat in the Sienna and only one top-tether in the back row. For some folks this isn't an issue but it was for us. Good luck! They're both great vans.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
We drove both when van shopping, and went with the Sienna. It fit our needs better, got a better price, and I absolutely love it.

kam1011

I have the opposite opinion of most on here! We ended up going with the new body style Sienna. (2011-right when they both changed, and it totally threw off all my plans!!)

The reason I like it so much is because I have three kids and they can each have a friend if we go somewhere and then they're all safe in the back. However, 99% of the time, I have the little jump seat out and there's an aisle to the third row. Also, when the seat's out, there's a little console with cupholders and stuff on the floor. (for the record, when all 8 seats are in, you can still slide up a captains chair to walk through to the 3rd row)

The Odyssey just didn't thrill me unless it was the Touring model, and I just didn't want to pay a million dollars for a minivan. Honestly, I didn't really WANT to drive a minivan, but I knew it would make life a little more comfortable for the next few years.

The Odyssey has more LATCHes and top tethers, but that's not really an issue for me anymore. By the time we bought I only had two harnessed and now I have one.

The reason I like it so much is because I have three kids and they can each have a friend if we go somewhere and then they're all safe in the back. However, 99% of the time, I have the little jump seat out and there's an aisle to the third row. Also, when the seat's out, there's a little console with cupholders and stuff on the floor. (for the record, when all 8 seats are in, you can still slide up a captains chair to walk through to the 3rd row)

Odyssey has better overall seating for 8 passengers cuz that 8th seat is normal sized (like the previous Sienna was).

I also have the 8th (middle 2nd row) seat out normally so there's an aisle to get to the back easily. Because it's a normal size seat, the aisle is a lot bigger than on the Sienna.

If I wanted a console with cupholders, I could just remove an outboard seat cuz if you flip the 8th seat's back down, that's where the console is IIRC. And it's not on the floor, but at arm's length of a person who's buckled in. I don't remember that console on the floor to be honest on the Sienna. Can you post a pic?

And yes, with all 8 seats up, you can slide the outboard seats up to allow access to the 3rd row. On the Odyssey, you can do that even if there's a car seat installed.

kaleigh71

Can someone tell me which model years of Sienna had the better 8th seating arrangement? We will be looking at used and would love to be able to expand our options. Thanks!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Re: Odyssey vs Sienna

The 2004-2010 model year Siennas (the previous generation Sienna version before the 2011 model year redesign) with the 8-passenger seating option have the roomier second row center vehicle seat and full sets of LATCH in all second and third row seating positions except for the third row driver's side. To help you search for a used one, in those 2004-2010 Sienna model years, the 8-passenger seating was an option available in the CE and LE FWD models, but not available with AWD, not available in the XLE or XLE Limited trim levels, and also unavailable with leather vehicle seats to my knowledge. It's also not possible to convert a 7-passenger 2004-2010 model year Sienna to an 8-passenger model due to differences in the floor pans and second row vehicle seat anchorages between the 7- and 8-passenger versions in case you're also wondering about that possibility.

vratiana

Re: Odyssey vs Sienna

The 2004-2010 model year Siennas (the previous generation Sienna version before the 2011 model year redesign) with the 8-passenger seating option have the roomier second row center vehicle seat and full sets of LATCH in all second and third row seating positions except for the third row driver's side. To help you search for a used one, in those 2004-2010 Sienna model years, the 8-passenger seating was an option available in the CE and LE FWD models, but not available with AWD, not available in the XLE or XLE Limited trim levels, and also unavailable with leather vehicle seats to my knowledge. It's also not possible to convert a 7-passenger 2004-2010 model year Sienna to an 8-passenger model due to differences in the floor pans and second row vehicle seat anchorages between the 7- and 8-passenger versions in case you're also wondering about that possibility.

Thank you so much. We are also looking and this is very helpful!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC