Nursing mamas- brest friend pillow?

LM4M

CPST Instructor
Can anyone tell me what they think of the brest friend pillow? Pros? Cons? What about for a plus sized mama (size 18)?

I have a boppy which really isn't so super for nursing (but makes an awesome pillow for siblings to hold baby without worrying about them supporting him properly). I never really used a pillow before, but my arms are totally tore up from all these blood draws and IVs and they hurt BAD. Dr says I will probably start bruising very easily after being on the lovenox and coumadin for a while, and with getting blood taken twice a week I think the problem is only going to get worse. So it's really important that I can find something that won't require me to have an arm underneath him at every feeding.

Would a brest friend pillow be good for this? Or another similar product (don't know what others are available, but if you used something else, I'm open to suggestions!).

Is it more of a firm pillow than a soft pillow? Anybody with large(r) breasts have success using it? I'm a DD if that matters.

And a long shot, but anyone know of where they may be on sale? :)

TIA!

ADS

krasota

I have very large breasts and a very short torso. I think the short torso made the breastfeeding pillows useless. They put babe nowhere near my nipples--up too high and way too close. My boobs were in the way of the pillow. But I was beyond J when kiddo was new. The pillows might work just fine for a DD.

veggiegirl228

I used one for DD. For nursing it was easier than the boppy. At the time I worn size 14 or 16 and it adjustable. I'm not large breast wise. I don't remember much of the details since I only used it for a short period of time (some reason it's till sitting in the garage, LOL) HTH

steph

I had a boppy (which I ditched after 3 days of nursing and used it only for propping Ryan up) but I do know the breast friend is very firm.

kathysr98

The brest friend is awesome! I'm about the same size as you, 16-20, depending, and a DD. I still use it now that dd is 2 when she is nursing to sleep for her afternoon nap in my office. Absolutely get one!

Mommypooh

do you have any stores like Once Upon a Child near you? I was in one here 2 weeks ago and they had about 6 of them there. I did not look at the price I was just intrigued to see one as I never had. It looked like I might be able to use one if I ever had another but I am not planning on that.

jsta1005

I haven't ever seen one IRL but they pop up all the time on my local CL. And michelle duggar (19 kids and counting) has used one to nurse the second youngest on the show. She puts it on and uses it for support to nurse while she walks around.

ProudMommysince09

I absolutely loved it when my DD was nursing. It is very stable, pretty firm but not uncomfortable and very adjustable. I think I was a 16 then and also have a big breast (bigger then lol). I know BRU sells them for $40 but Im sure you can find them cheaper, used, or maybe a friend has one and would loan it to you? At first we didnt know how to nurse right which turned into me being very sore and had cracked skin. Without the pillow I would not have been able to nurse my daughter, the pain was too excrutiating to hold her, so the pillow did it for me, obviously I kept her from rolling off but thats all I could do, it was horrible.. I think it might be a really good solution for you!!

mum2two

It's pretty firm and I loved using it for nursing both DC's. It hook onto to you so you can walk around if needed with baby on it- I even transferred DD into her crib once with it still attached, looked kinda silly but it worked. I also liked the handy pockets, kept my phone is there.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/My-Brest-Friend-Pillow-Sunburst/dp/B000HZEQSU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1277074121&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: My Brest Friend Pillow: Baby[/ame]

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
Yes it is quite firm, it's like a little shelf to set the baby on! I had one for both of my nurslings, and while I'm not plus-size or large-breasted, I don't think body or breast size would make much of a difference in how it works. It's basically just an adjustable little shelf to bring your baby up to breast height.

I loved it and used it ALL.THE.TIME for DS1, because he just sunk into the Boppy and it shifted out of the way and was terribly frustrating. The Brest Friend solved all of that, despite the stupid name.

But with DS2 I just didn't really need it. It felt too firm/unyielding, and I preferred the same old squishy Boppy I had rejected for DS1. Go figure. So I think how well it works for you might have more to do with your baby's personality and nursing habits than mom's size or shape.

ETA: I agree that if you want one, check your local Once Upon a Child stores, or Craigslist. It's pretty easy to find them barely used for a lot cheaper than the $40 new.

brooklynsmommy

I have a travel one that I never used that I can list in swap if you want it. We bought it to take to disneyland thinking it could be a kind of desk for DD on the train. We ended up driving.

LM4M

CPST Instructor
nak

thanks everyonre, i havent tried it yet but dh picked up one for me when he took dd to gymnastics tonight. the cover is in the wash now. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC