Not sure what to do

Neenham

I have a 3yo son, and 20mo daughter. We are planning to have a third within the next year or so. 3yo is currently rear facing in a Radian and 1 yo is RF in a Nextfit. The 3yo is at the RF height limit in the Radian. Radian was in a minor accident today and is being replaced. We need a new car seat. Should I buy a Clek Foonf to extend the RF as long as possible or just flip him FF and buy a booster? If so, which booster? He is 41in and 39.5lbs. Thanks!

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
For a 40-pound three-year-old, I would buy a combination seat (FF harnessed seat that becomes a booster later). I think it's AWESOME that you RF past age three!

Yes, you will likely need another convertible for the new baby because your daughter won't be finished with her seat yet (or buy a new seat for your daughter; either option would be fine), but you'll need to buy a few seats anyway (either a convertible now for DS, with a combination seat later, and perhaps a booster, or a combination seat for DS, and a new convertible for DD later).

Neenham

Thanks for your input. I worry about FF. I've read all the articles on RF and am totally sold on how much safer it is. Has anyone thought about somehow buying a European car seat with high h/w limits and using it here? He literally just turned 3 this month.

seb3244

Thanks for your input. I worry about FF. I've read all the articles on RF and am totally sold on how much safer it is. Has anyone thought about somehow buying a European car seat with high h/w limits and using it here? He literally just turned 3 this month.

I wonder this too because my friends ds is 22 months and 34lbs & very tall (not exactly sure how many inches) & she wants to rf as close to 4 as possible as well

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador

Several people here do import seats, but we don't really condone in most cases. :eek:

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
Why? Is it illegal?

It is illegal to use a seat that does not meet our US FMVSS standards. Imported seats do not test to that standard.

I think a forward facing combination seat is an excellent choice for your 3 year old. S/he is very save in a properly used and top tethered forward facing car seat. We use the term booster to describe belt positioning boosters for older kids. They do not have a 5 point harness and would not be an appropriate choice at this stage.

Neenham

It is illegal to use a seat that does not meet our US FMVSS standards. Imported seats do not test to that standard.

I think a forward facing combination seat is an excellent choice for your 3 year old. S/he is very save in a properly used and top tethered forward facing car seat. We use the term booster to describe belt positioning boosters for older kids. They do not have a 5 point harness and would not be an appropriate choice at this stage.

Thank you. I think I was misusing the term booster. If I FF him I think I would buy the Britax Frontier 90. Is this the best choice for a very tall 3 year old?

lgenne

Thank you. I think I was misusing the term booster. If I FF him I think I would buy the Britax Frontier 90. Is this the best choice for a very tall 3 year old?

My very tall 4 year old is FF in a Radian, and outgrew it for RF at least 8 months ago (he was already FF, so I don't know exactly when). I'm planning to get him a FR90 pretty soon. It has the tallest harness slots on the market, which means I'll be able to keep him harnessed a lot longer. Sitting still is not his strong suit.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
If you prefer to keep him rear-facing, I would invest in a Foonf over importing.

Importing used to be a lot more common, when our seats went to 35lb. It was never legal, but when it was import or turn your child before age 2, some chose to take that risk. Now, since most seats go to 40lb, and a few to 45 or 50, there is really not a need. Although it would PROBABLY be okay, the benefit is so minor that it is not worth the potential ramifications.

The extra 5lb of the Radian would probably get him past 4. I forget the height issue - going to go look and edit in, hang on.

ETA: Clearly I missed half of your post, I thought he was at the weight limit of something. Sounds like your choices are FF or Foonf.

Wreckgoddess

I vote either a Foonf or a Frontier 90.
But if it were me, I'd do a Foonf to RF longer.. and then get a frontier 90 later when another kid can move into the Foonf.

But thats just me.

thepote

I vote either a Foonf or a Frontier 90. But if it were me, I'd do a Foonf to RF longer.. and then get a frontier 90 later when another kid can move into the Foonf. But thats just me.

This is what I'd do as well. You have a kid to hand it down to and you'll need another convertible anyway. Unless the $$$ is an issue I would RF him longer, no question.

Neenham

I vote either a Foonf or a Frontier 90.
But if it were me, I'd do a Foonf to RF longer.. and then get a frontier 90 later when another kid can move into the Foonf.

But thats just me.

Thanks! Is the Foonf shell height definitely taller than the radian?

thepote

According to the Car seat Data sub forum here the Foonf is an inch higher for internal seating height.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC