Norwegian ~Grand Prix silverline T2????

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Can anyone help with this carseat? My sister has it for her baby and she can't get it to install in her VW Polo. Can anyone help with tips? She also says in the manual that it can not be used RF for infants over 9kg. Is this true?
She also wants to know if it is a good one or if you would recommend another one.

ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
She just sent me this in English:

* Age group: up to 4 years
* Reclining seat to 6 positions to allow the child to sleep during the journey
* Fitted with extra-padded insert seat for babies under 10 kgs, ergonomic head support to protect the baby’s head and neck
* Easy fastening system using the car seat belts
* Stud steel structure, with plastic protection base, which protects the baby from any possible impact
* The base is adjustable in height to guarantee extra safety and stability to the seat when used by babies under 9 kgs
* Harness guide can be adjusted according to the size of the baby with just one hand, and have 5 points with a central closure device
* Ergonomic, roomy and comfortable seating
* Padded shoulder straps and padded fabric buckle cover
* Fully double-padded covering in technical fabric which is removable and washable at 30°C
* Children up to 10 kgs must be placed on the front seat without an airbag, in rear facing position
* Children from 10 to 18 kgs should be placed on the rear seat in front facing position.

Her baby is 4mths (born at 34w 6d) and is 7.5kgs or 16.53lbs. That seems pretty young to HAVE to FF :confused:

LittlePeanut

It does appear to only go to 10 kg/22 lbs RF. Her baby is pretty big but it can take a good lung while to gain those extra pounds. Babies gain rapidly in the first 6 months and then tend to taper off in weight during the remainder of the first year. Have yo tried plotting the baby's weight on a growth chart to estimate when s/he might hit the 10 kg limit.

Adventuredad

Seat is RF to 10 kg which is incredibly low. The seat is Italian, they are not exactly known for excellent car seat safety;-) Her baby could remain rear facing for a while longer but I would strongly suggest start looking for a new seat asap so she can stay rear facing for a few more years.

Keeping a child forward facing is 500% less safe than rear facing so it would ge a good idea to wait as long as possible with turning a child FF.

What kind of issues is she having with installation? Is she located in Norway?

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Seat is RF to 10 kg which is incredibly low. The seat is Italian, they are not exactly known for excellent car seat safety;-) Her baby could remain rear facing for a while longer but I would strongly suggest start looking for a new seat asap so she can stay rear facing for a few more years.

Keeping a child forward facing is 500% less safe than rear facing so it would ge a good idea to wait as long as possible with turning a child FF.

What kind of issues is she having with installation? Is she located in Norway?

Yes, she is in Bergen.
She was worried that it wasn't known for carseat safety. She does want to keep him rf for a long time yet. The baby was born in Canada so I showed the how to use and install the chicco keyfit they had here. They were only here for 2mths and then back to Norway. The seat is from her FIL and it was one he bought for use when he had his grandkids. She would like another seat to RF longer. What would you suggest? They drive a VW Polo. As for installing they couldn't get it in tight and the belt barely reached. Then she sent me a link in English and it said that it should be installed RF in the front pass. seat without airbags. They have airbags so I would imagine that it isn't compatible with her vehicle :confused:

Adventuredad

VW Polo is a small car so Britax Hi-Way or Duologic are her best choices since both seats are compact and last to around 4 years of age and a height of about 110 cm. The seats fit in all positions of the car, Hi-Way is a buit better choice if used in front seat (Practical for space and as safe as the rear as long as airbag is deactivated).

Seat belt length is not an issue with these seats since belt is threaded through front of seat instead of around it.

mommycat

Jewels, ask her if the airbag has a switch. I'm thinking I read they may sometimes have switches in EU, like trucks do here. That would allow her to safely use the seat she has in the correct position while she shops around for her new seat.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Jewels, ask her if the airbag has a switch. I'm thinking I read they may sometimes have switches in EU, like trucks do here. That would allow her to safely use the seat she has in the correct position while she shops around for her new seat.

I will ask but I don't think it does as she said they could take it in to have the airbags turned off but then that would likely cost them what it would to just get a new carseat.

mommycat

Ah, well, it was worth a try.

Hope you get an answer about the BeSafe, I thought I would mention it in case it was missed above...

Adventuredad

Thanks so much, I will let her know.
She has been looking at the BeSafe. How is that seat?

BeSafe is a good and safe seat but not a good fit for VW Polo. The seat needs quite a bit of room. It's usually very upright in standard position so sleep position needs to be used all the time to avoid head slumping. This means very little space in front seat in a Polo. In sleep position it needs 10-15 cm more space than Hi-Way or DuoLogic.

Most, but not all, cars in Europe have switches to turn off airbags.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
BeSafe is a good and safe seat but not a good fit for VW Polo. The seat needs quite a bit of room. It's usually very upright in standard position so sleep position needs to be used all the time to avoid head slumping. This means very little space in front seat in a Polo. In sleep position it needs 10-15 cm more space than Hi-Way or DuoLogic.

Most, but not all, cars in Europe have switches to turn off airbags.

Perfect. Thanks for all the info.
I asked and she said that their car does not have the switch.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
In sleep position it needs 10-15 cm more space than Hi-Way or DuoLogic.

She has found a Graco seat but it isn't the DuoLogic and she can't find the Hi-Way but can find the Two-Way, Mulit-tech (I think she said) and the Evolva 1-2-3. Out of those ones what would you recommend for her vehicle? (If any)

Adventuredad

She has found a Graco seat but it isn't the DuoLogic and she can't find the Hi-Way but can find the Two-Way, Mulit-tech (I think she said) and the Evolva 1-2-3. Out of those ones what would you recommend for her vehicle? (If any)

I would not recommend Evolva since it's forward facing only. It's basically a Multi Tech seat which can only be used forward facing. Both MT and TWE will fit a VW Polo but need 5 cm more space than a Hi-Way or DuoLogic. It will be tight in front seat since Polo is a small car.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I would not recommend Evolva since it's forward facing only. It's basically a Multi Tech seat which can only be used forward facing. Both MT and TWE will fit a VW Polo but need 5 cm more space than a Hi-Way or DuoLogic. It will be tight in front seat since Polo is a small car.

Should she be able to find the Hi-Way or DuoLogic in Norway?

Thanks so much for your help. It is hard trying to help her when I can't read the language and i've never seen the seats or the vehicle that she is using.

Adventuredad

Hi-Way is sold there but not sure about DuoLogic. Norwegians are doing ok with car seat safety for kids but combination seats are unfortunately more common over there so that children can be turned FF earlier.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Hi-Way is sold there but not sure about DuoLogic. Norwegians are doing ok with car seat safety for kids but combination seats are unfortunately more common over there so that children can be turned FF earlier.

So legally can she order one from the link in your signature and use it in Norway? They were looking there and it is cheaper to pay for the shipping and get it from there then to buy it in Norway.

hovik

Late reply, but here goes. The DuoLogic can be a bit tricky to find in Norway, but it's possible to order it from here : http://biteringen.no/produkter2/barn-i-bil/type/nyfodt/akta-graco-duologic-2/

VW Polo is a tiny car, so even the Duologic may be too big for it. There are several RR seats smaller than the DuoLogic, so I recommend the go to the local baby shop, and test what they're able to fit in their car. It's easier to find good RR seats in Norway than the US, so they should have plenty to choose from.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC