Non-five stepping women...

krasota

I'm 5'2", short torsoed, and busty. I do not five step in either of our vehicles. The lap belt rides across my belly, unless I'm very pregnant. My cars both have the adjusters for the shoulder belt (little slide on the door jamb). They don't matter much. If I'm wearing a bra that actually lifts and separates my G+ cups, maybe the seatbelt sits for a bit, but it's generally uncomfortably close to my neck or choking me. 97 Crown Vic, 95 Buick Regal

I have driven cars in which I *do* five step. The Chevy HHR I rented this past winter fit me very well. And I think the Corolla fits me well (hard to remember), though it has some major blind spots for me. (Those I remember as I was driving in Florida. *shudder*)

ADS

bnsnyde

The shoulder belt always fits (5'8'). But the lap belt I'm always pushing down. It's like it wants to ride high. But I don't know why. Seems like 6'4" husband has same problem. I always say low and tight across lap and sound like an airline attendant. :)

Most women, I notice, have the lap belt across their tummy (often large tummy).
So are lap belt portions designed poorly?

Traquy

I have no problem with lap belt I tuck it under my overweight belly, but the stupid shoulder belt just doesn't fit at all.

Yup, this is me. I lost a lot of weight and got down to a size 14 and seat belts fit me great. Smaller lap and separate boobs helped a lot. Now that I've gained back about half of that I'm back to the tuck and shift with the lap and shoulder belt.

emtb79

I know my big van is not the safest vehicle but I get the best fit it. The lap belt is low and the shoulder belt sits where it is supposed to be. The second best is my mom's Honda Civic but when I get into it I nearly take my ears off whacking my head into the door jam.

T4K

I wanted to add to this thread....

I'm 5'6" and about 125. Probably proportionate legs and torso (never have measured). My 2009 Altima has an adjustable shoulderbelt that at it's lowest setting is going across my upper arm. So that may be a good vehicle for shorter people. My 2008 new to me Lincoln Navigator has adjustable belt as well and tons of wheel, pedal, and seat adjustments. At the belt's lowest setting it's almost falling off my shoulders so with the right adjustments, this vehicle may also be able to suit smaller people.

Just wanted to put that out there. :) happy Monday :p

jnamommy

I am 5'7" and most seatbelts fit me, although not all. But I have thought about this quite a bit, and wondered what adults do that do not fit the belts. My dd is looking to be under 5' and I occasioonally wonder what she will do when she is older?

ProudMommysince09

Thanks for this thread! It made me remember that I was so occupied to have DD safe in the car that I never really paid attention to myself. The lapbelt fits me great and it sits okay on the shoulder but one of my boobs is always squished by it and I constantly adjust while driving. What I did notice for the first time is I'm way too close to the airbag, I moved my seat back a good bit and am trying to get used to it :).

kaitlyn

Senior Community Member
I'm barely five feet tall (and yes, large chested) and rarely 5 step in vehicles. I usually have problems with both lap and shoulder belt. The best fit I found so far was in my boyfriend's parent's truck. It's Dodge Ram that's a few years old and it fits beautifully as long as I pull the shoulder belt adjuster down and far as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I never get a good belt fit. When I'm not nursing, I'm a DDD cup, and right now I'm wearing a J/K. There's not enough space between these girls to put a shoulder belt, so it rides up under my arm. The lap belt never fits right, either. It rides up high, even when I'm pregnant, which makes me really nervous. I remember having that issue even when I was young and slender and pregnant.

I'm 5'6" but all leg and no torso.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC