no tether anchor

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Probably an dumb question, but do you know for sure that it doesn't have tether anchors? We have a 1999 Ford Windstar that doesn't have LATCH, but does have tethers. They are super hidden, had to pull out the manual. So just being a 2000 may not mean it doesn't have them.

Windstars were super advanced in the tether department. They had tethers as far back as 1995 or sooner, even before there was the automatic locking seatbelt requirement (which was funny in my tech class! It had a top tether, and needed a locking clip!). I'd assume it was because they were compliant with their twin Canadian models (top tethers since 1989, maybe longer?). US cars didn't need them till 9/1/99 for the Model year 2000, and SUV's had another year or two to get them.

ADS

lpperry

Windstars are freakishly good about tethers and latch. We had one and there were even tethers on the passenger seat and I think maybe drivers seat too! I could easily rf tether my radians.

I am positive there are no tethers. I know what I am looking for and I read the car manual thoroughly. Thanks though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lpperry

I don't know about the heavy duty tether anchor from ex on. I'll check that out.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Windstars are freakishly good about tethers and latch. We had one and there were even tethers on the passenger seat and I think maybe drivers seat too! I could easily rf tether my radians.

I am positive there are no tethers. I know what I am looking for and I read the car manual thoroughly. Thanks though!

Just an aside for anyone reading, those aren't supposed to be used for rear facing tethering.

seb3244

Yes. That makes sense. So why does head excursion not matter with a non-tethered booster or the rstv? Or not that it doesn't matter- but why are we not concerned about tethering a booster or rstv in relation to head excursion? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am wondering his too about the boosters not having to be top tethered.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I am wondering his too about the boosters not having to be top tethered.

KQ made a good response above about this. But also the seatbelt is holding the child in those products, right into the car. In a harnessed seat, the seatbelt is holding the seat (so that can stretch out), and the harness holds the child (so that can stretch out), there's just a lot more stretching and possibility of forward movement, so the top tether is more important.

lpperry

Just an aside for anyone reading, those aren't supposed to be used for rear facing tethering.

What??? I remember posting about this years ago and got the ok. If they are tether anchors why can't you use for tethering a reardacing set? Like if you are reardacing in third row you can use the tethers in front right?

lgenne

What??? I remember posting about this years ago and got the ok. If they are tether anchors why can't you use for tethering a reardacing set? Like if you are reardacing in third row you can use the tethers in front right?

Nope. Combi doesn't allow it (I asked them directly); Diono doesn't allow it. I haven't heard specifically about Britax.

lgenne

Depends on exactly what tether anchor we're talking about. Seats with other seats behind them (front row in general; 2nd row in vehicles that have a 3rd row) tend to move forward and backward. If the tether anchor is on a 2nd row seat and you use it to RF tether something in the 3rd row, then someone slides the 2nd row seat forward or backward, your install has just been altered.

Keeyamah

A tether anchor is a non moving part though. Can you use a d-ring on it (if it's shaped in a way to make that possible)?

Well, the anchors in my mom's van are attached to her seats, so they are both moving and non-moving. But I'm not a tech and what I know is from reading here, but generally it's a seat track or other similar place. Also, there is some controversy about RF tethering from the vehicle manufacturers. The top tethers I'm familiar with, I couldn't get my D-ring strap through.

lpperry

Well. Good thing we never had an accident bc I tethered to the tether spot on the seat in front. I don't really tether now that we have our ody bc I never could find anywhere to tether to without taking parts of the car off

lpperry

I looked up the EZ-On catalogue and now am so confused. Do they make something I can use for a tether anchor?

I have heard of the 86Y harness. We may want to get that to use in the 8th seat of the Landcrusier (just has a lap belt). That seat is unusable for us, unless we put one of the rearfacers there.

What are the vests? For special needs?

Keeanh

Their site is much more confusing now. It looks like they're trying to get away from their anchor being a "universal retrofit". What you want is the floor mount. It's combined with the vest in the family vehicle section. But you don't need the vest. Just the hardware kit with the floor mounts. It's also in the accessory section, which appears to be having technical difficulties right now.

It's a heavy-duty version of this:
140.jpg

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
The Lexus version does have 3 tether point locations. You may be able to use the hardware and instructions for that to install some.

That being said, is he sure he really wants a car with a 13 MPG average as his daily driver?

lpperry

We ended up with a 2002 Land Cruiser, so no problem with tether anchors now! It even has lower anchors in two positions. So glad not to have to deal with retrofitting.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC