Question No 3-across allowed in 2014 Corolla?

ADS

Keeks64

My grandma just bought a 2014 I'm going to go grab her manual

That's, interesting though :/ hope it's not the case since we will need 2 car seats & an adult in the back sometimes

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Dillipop

It's quite possible that you can only use 2 seats. When I rented a 2010, the female stalks in the center and side were crisscrossed. In order to buckle both, the belts crossed each other. I didn't have a manual to refer to, so I just made sure I only had 2 kids with me as I wasn't comfortable with the crossed belts.

thepote

You can see in this pic how far over the center shoulder belt is compared to the female buckle stalk for the passenger side.

Pixels

Well that makes it pretty clear. It's a four passenger vehicle. The vehicle owner's manual is clear that an adult cannot sit in the middle next to a child restraint, and MACPS says you can't put two child restraints next to each other when the belts overlap.

Installing 3 Car Seats Across the Back Seat
The MACPS recommends the following conditions be met when installing 3 car seats across the back seat:
a. A tight installation, as described in the instructions and CPS standardized curriculum, can be achieved.
b. The positions of the CRs on the vehicle seat are not changed by the contact. That is, they still align properly with respect to the seat belt or
LATCH anchors that secure them.
c. There is no contact or force that would bend or deform any of the CRs.
d. The LATCH lower connectors or seat belts do not cross over one another to achieve the installation.
(August 2012)
http://www.saferidenews.com/srndnn/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=zNnkSQCE0ks=&tabid=352

thepote

It's only four passenger when there is a CR in that passenger side seat, though, right? There's nothing about not using the belt with passengers in seatbelt-only, I just checked.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The overlap wasn't as bad as it seems to be now in older models. Makes sense to me they'd add that rule, as they finally did with the RAV.

thepote

Luckily I don't need to do three-across since my older two 5-step, but I'm sitting here like ~face palm~ that I accidentally bought a car that you can't do three-across in. I mean, of all things :rolleyes:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Straying a bit, but who is exactly is MACPS? I know what the acronym stands for, but I mean are they a government organization? Are techs to legally abide by their statements? How do they come up with their statements; is this the manufacturers that are agreeing on the statements? Do we have anything like this in Canada/does it apply to Canada (noting I only see FMVSS in the document linked)?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Manufacturers' Alliance for Child Passenger Safety. It's a coalition of the manufacturers, issuing joint position statements. I guess you could think of it like AAP for car seat manufacturers... As far as I know their statements may or may not apply for Canada depending. Sorry, I know that's unhelpful...

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Manufacturers' Alliance for Child Passenger Safety. It's a coalition of the manufacturers, issuing joint position statements. I guess you could think of it like AAP for car seat manufacturers... As far as I know their statements may or may not apply for Canada depending. Sorry, I know that's unhelpful...

No, it was helpful. Thank you.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Do we have anything like this in Canada/does it apply to Canada (noting I only see FMVSS in the document linked)?

I interpret their statements to apply to Canada, unless otherwise noted. While they don't reference CMVSS, the spirit of the harmonized usage statements doesn't suggest to me otherwise. But that would be a good question to put to them!

thepote

Well, here are the center and driver's side buckles. The driver side one is sort of recessed and doesn't move. The center one crosses over that buckle and is held down by an elastic.

And fwiw, the latch anchors are really deep. I wouldn't want to have to dig out hook style ones. The far right red thing is the release button on the alligator style just barely sticking out.

thepote

I just posted in the successful three across thread, more as a warning. It is possible that the manual is only talking about seat belted passengers in the center, or it could be interpreted as such. Should I add the other info about crossed belt guidelines?

What would techs do here if someone showed up in this car? :p

Pixels

What would techs do here if someone showed up in this car? :p

Show the parents the vehicle manual, the MACPS statement, and let them make their decision. They could put a child in the front and an adult in the back passenger seat, or go against the manual and MACPS.

thepote

Show the parents the vehicle manual, the MACPS statement, and let them make their decision. They could put a child in the front and an adult in the back passenger seat, or go against the manual and MACPS.

Does this happen often? Or did I end up with the white whale? RAV was mentioned.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kellys

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Maxi Cosi is a proud sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2021 Carseat Media LLC