Nissan Pathfinder 1996 Tethers?

• Thread starter godisfrusciante
  • Start date
G

godisfrusciante

I was recently given an Orbit system. I made an attempt to assemble the car seat adapter in my pathfinder today, but there are no place to strap in for the latch system. I called my local Nissan dealership and the man had me come over. He instructed me that they couldn't put anchors (is that the right word, or tethers?) in the car. He said to just use the seat belt and tighten it like he did for his kids 15 years ago. But then I was searching and on a forum on this website i found that someone posted that a 1995 Nissan pathfinder could get the part for about $15 each, part number 88894-89900. Unfortunately the dealership is closed for the evening, but my mind is still spinning worrying about this. Ive googled , but maybe I'm just tired and missing something. Is it possible to latch my new car seat into my pathfinder? Or can I get the system instillation done? I don't feel safe not following Orbits guidelines. Should I email Orbit? Im just a worrier, Im not due til late November.
Thank you anyone who wants to help me out

Lisa

oh PS: the father of the baby has a 1997 GMC Jimmy, when I called him panicked today, he checked and said he didn't have anything that would connect to the latch either. So I'm hoping any replies might help out his car too.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi. Welcome and congrats.

You don't need lower anchors to install the Orbit system. You can use the seatbelt, just like the guy did 15 years ago. As he says.

The part number you found is for the forward facing tether anchor. That'll be good to have in 3-4 years when your child is forward facing.

Same thing for the GMC Jimmy. Contact a GM dealership and have them reference bulletin 99-09-40-004a. That'll get him a tether anchor free of charge. However, they're not needed until your child is forward facing in three to four years.

Wendy

G

godisfrusciante

Omg Thank you. I felt like such a bad future parent walking away from the dealership today without making those latches work and not having a lower anchor. I wrote to Orbit as well. I just want to see what they say so Ive sought all avenues for this. Thank you again. Ill probably sleep better tonight now.

Lisa

monstah

Hi. Welcome and congrats.

You don't need lower anchors to install the Orbit system. You can use the seatbelt, just like the guy did 15 years ago. As he says.

The part number you found is for the forward facing tether anchor. That'll be good to have in 3-4 years when your child is forward facing.

Same thing for the GMC Jimmy. Contact a GM dealership and have them reference bulletin 99-09-40-004a. That'll get him a tether anchor free of charge. However, they're not needed until your child is forward facing in three to four years.

Wendy

:yeahthat:

Seat belt or LATCH, they are equally safe. You will install the car seat with the seatbelt. It would be a good idea to search NHTSA.gov to find a technician to help you out. :thumbsup:
The baby should stay rear facing until at least 2 years old, hopefully longer, and then a top tether anchor will help you when you turn the car seat forward facing.

And congrats! :love:

G

godisfrusciante

Orbit wrote me back (their facebook page is great for instant replies, just as this page is here):

Orbit Baby
Hi Lisa, Wendy is indeed correct (Thanks Wendy!). Orbit Baby Car Seats and Car Seat Bases can be installed just as securely with a LATCH belt and LATCH anchors as with your vehicle’s seatbelts and buckles.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC