Newer model Explorer three across :)

monica-m

CPST Instructor
More pictures:
Center seating position:
20130216_142220.jpg

Since I don't have inflatable seat belts, the driver side buckle has webbing:
20130216_142239.jpg

I went ahead and tried a CCO in that center seat and it fits well. It can't be shoved in to the seat bight as much as I would normally push it so it slides a bit on the leather but it still moves less than an inch at the belt path.
20130216_142858.jpg

There is even enough seat belt to use the Euro routing.
20130216_142648.jpg

20130216_142640.jpg

Sorry for completely hijacking your post, macmomma :eek:

Last edited:
ADS

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Yes, more apologies to macmomma for hijacking her thread!

Thanks for the pics - your seating position is definitely different. Now that I see the Coccoro installed, I think that seat might actually fit in the center of the vehicle I had but I don't own a coccoro (or a chaperone, for that matter) so those seats weren't an option to try at the time.

Thanks for helping me through my confusion!

monica-m

CPST Instructor
No problem! If you would like to use any of my pictures for your review, you have my permission to do so.

cso1997

I am honestly shocked to hear that anything fits in the center. I have to retract my prior statements. We have a 2011 Limited. I haven't tried everything but I haven't found a thing that fits in our center. Very odd!

annieoc

Thanks for the post i was worried i did something wrong in my new XLT. I just installed a Radian 80 FF and am looking for two boosters narrow enough to put on either side (for friends/nephews occassional use). What do you think would fit?

Ewing1

The Bubble Bum booster is only 13" wide.
Harmony Folding Travel booster is only 14" wide but I haven't heard much about it to know if it fits kids well.

macmomma

You all hijack away:D I am very interested in finding out which seats can fit in this vehicle ! Has anyone successfully installed a RFing seat in the third row??? There is just not much leg room back there:(

Dorothy

I had a RA55 rfing in the third row of a friend's new Explorer. Don't know what model, but I'm pretty sure its an '12. I don't have any pics and cannot get any as the RA55 no longer lives here. IIRC, there wasn't any room to spare, but it was a straightforward Britax install. I know it was a seat belt install as DD was ffing in the LATCH position in her Maestro.

cso1997

You all hijack away:D I am very interested in finding out which seats can fit in this vehicle ! Has anyone successfully installed a RFing seat in the third row??? There is just not much leg room back there:(

I had a Keyfit back there. The second row seat just barely clicked in to driving position. I have also had a Marathon back there. I hated it because it had to be so upright and there was barely any legroom.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
I have a Prezi, Coccoro, Radian, and a Recaro Como I can try in the third row for pics. I bought a Safety 1st Go that installs beautifully in all the seating positions that have lower anchors. I'll get my little monster down for a nap and see what I can come up with.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
Okay, that was quite the adventure. In the third row, the Prezi was a no go, it's simply too long.

The Como worked great! We might end up using it in this seating position at some point. Please excuse the Como's nakedness, it was puked in last week and it needs to be redressed.
Driver Side w/seat belt
20130228_142341.jpg

20130228_142347.jpg

Passenger Side w/LATCH
20130228_142028.jpg

The Coccoro worked well too.
Driver Side w/seat belt
20130228_141659.jpg

20130228_141310.jpg

Passenger Side w/ LATCH
20130228_141256.jpg

The Radian fit but I didn't love the way it was touching the head rest in front of it but the headrests are removable and it wasn't forcibly braced. As far as I can tell, this is an okay install and I would probably be okay with it if there was another rear facing seat in the seat in front of it and not a person's head.

Driver Side w/seat belt
20130228_142844.jpg

20130228_142902.jpg

Now I'm off to get some rest because we have inspection station tonight and we are fully booked.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC