Newer chevy aveo vs. older honda civic: driver safety?

jessi f

Spin off of my commuter car thread :) I'm using these 2 models bc they are whats coming up most often in my search.

In my price range (under $6000) I'm running into the issue of the cars with the better reputation like the civic are going to be older models with optional side airbags that didnt seem to be installed very often. Literally none that Ive checked out have them. In 2006 side airbags were made standard on the Aveo. But they dont seem to be a very popular choice.

So which is better for just a driver? I'm pretty much going to be driving the car by myself back and forth to school. I would probably never drive both kids in it. As far as carseats go I'll likely keep my CA65 installed center since it's easy to reinstall/adjust for RF or FF depending on which kid I have.

ADS

Brianna

My friend had nothing but problems with her 07 Aveo, none of the stuff that went wrong was covered under warranty. I know safety is important, but if repairs will be too expensive that's a factor too. Have you looked at the reliability ratings on Edmunds.com?

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

jessi f

My friend had nothing but problems with her 07 Aveo, none of the stuff that went wrong was covered under warranty. I know safety is important, but if repairs will be too expensive that's a factor too. Have you looked at the reliability ratings on Edmunds.com?

Those seem like theyre always horrible for any car I've looked at, lol.

What about a 98 accord, there is one that doesnt have horribly high miles I could go look at. Would it being a bit larger give it a safety advantage or not make much of a difference? I found an 02 civic we may check out too.

alake

The only problem my friend had with her aveo, which she had for two years was two things. Hers didn't have ABS, and on the first day of snow the first year, she slid into the curb, and needed to have a wheel alignment. She hit a moose, doing 120 KM's per hour, and it saved her life. Much like when she hit a moose in her 4 years earlier, exact same thing. No injuries, and she didn't even need to be taken to the hospital. First moose accident I was in the car, and the three of us were transported by ambulance back to Lloyd, with the lights and sirens going.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC