New seat for a 4yo

jennzee

It's been a while since I've had to research and buy a new seat, so I'm a little out of the loop. My 2yo is nearing the limit on the top of the shell in the CCO and since I'd like to keep her RF'ing for at least another year, it's time to say farewell to that seat. I'm planning to move her into the Marathon my 4yo is currently using and get something new for the 4yo. I anticipate she'll be harnessed until she's around 6, so two more years. I'd love suggestions on seats to consider. Here are our stats:

2011 Honda Odyssey (will most likely be installed in the 2nd row, with the Marathon next to it)
She's 40" tall and weighs 36.5 lbs.
Hope to spend not more than $250...I like some bells and whistles, but the sky's not the limit.

Double bonus points if a green cover is available on whatever seats are suggested :D

ADS

lgenne

Are you planning to put the FF seat in the +1? If so, that limits some of the options, because certain seats don't play nice with that position. Or do you mean they'll both be in captain's chairs?

jennzee

That's something I hadn't thought about. Currently, I have the CCO in the +1 and figured I'd move the Marathon there, but I've not tried that seat in that position before...is it compatible? If so, then it would be Marathon in the +1 and new seat in a captain's chair. If the Marathon doesn't fit there, then it will be in a captain and the new seat would be in an outboard 3rd row seat. I have to have one captain free in the second row, so I can't put both car seats in those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jennzee

Ideally, I'd be able to utilize both the +1 and one captain's chair in the second row, but I'm flexible :)

lgenne

The Marathon is incompatible there. It ends up with a bit of side overhang (assuming at least one captain's chair is in wide mode or removed) which Britax doesn't allow. If you're ok with not being able to tumble a captain's chair, the Marathon can be in the +1, I believe. Rear facing, anyway.

Would you rather have them in the current seating positions? We could recommend a convertible that works both forward facing and rear facing in the +1, and then you can choose who goes in the +1 in the new seat and who goes outboard in the Marathon.

jennzee

I have to have a captain's chair tumble, so it sounds like the Marathon is out for the +1. I'd prefer to have them in the current seating positions...it's nice to be able to reach both kids if needed. But I don't mind trying the 4yo in the 3rd row if need be.

Let's start with something that would work either direction in the +1...that will give me the most flexibility. If that doesn't pan out, then we can move on to other solutions.

Can I add a question about the Marathon? At what point is it outgrown FF? Can my daughter's head be above the shell as long as her shoulders are below the top slot?

lgenne

The Graco Milestone and Graco Extend2Fit both work great in the +1.

It's fine for her head to be above the top of Marathon when forward facing, as long as the top of the shell is even with the tops of her ears or higher.

jennzee

OK, I haven't been to the store yet to check out either of these seats, but as dh and I have talked about different configurations for where we could put kids (i.e. who will sit nicest next to each other;)), it's brought up additional questions for me. I'm reading in the +1 successful install thread for the Ody that the new gen Britax convertibles do work in the +1 seat...our Marathon is a G4, so should it work RF'ing there?

Consolidating the list of RF convertibles that work/don't work:

Successful:

"New generation" Britax convertibles (as of May 2013--is this G4?)
Clek Foonf (raised headrest can interfere with video screen)
Clek Fllo
Peg convertible*
Boulevard 70 G3
Classic Marathon (install was barely acceptable)

lgenne

OK, I haven't been to the store yet to check out either of these seats, but as dh and I have talked about different configurations for where we could put kids (i.e. who will sit nicest next to each other;)), it's brought up additional questions for me. I'm reading in the +1 successful install thread for the Ody that the new gen Britax convertibles do work in the +1 seat...our Marathon is a G4, so should it work RF'ing there?

[emoji4] I was pretty proud of that post.

[emoji53] I can't go back and edit it. Later in that same thread, someone else posted that Britax doesn't approve any of their seats there, due to the fact that they end up with side overhang. Unless you put both captain's chairs in narrow mode, in which case you end up with no access to the 3rd row.

jennzee

Yes, but there seems to be some confusion (in other threads as well) whether that means no to that seating position altogether, or no to that seating position in wide mode. If the overhang is reduced by a captain's chair not in wide mode, is that acceptable? I've also read about tethering issues in that center seat for FF, so it may not be an option regardless, just wanting to know if I have to completely rule that marathon in the +1 out or if it's a possibility in the right circumstances.

jennzee

Ok...at BBB right now. They only have the extend2fit, and there's some overhang near the back of the seat (does Graco allow that?), but I'm not even close to being able to tumble the captains chair. Thoughts?

lgenne

Oh yes, the Versatether is a problem for forward facing.

With both captain's chairs in narrow mode, it's fine for rear facing. But again, no tumbling.

I'm pretty sure you can tumble a wide mode captain's chair next to a Milestone.

Seats that definitely work there and let you tumble a wide mode captain's chair: Cosco Scenera NEXT, Harmony Defender (FF only), FF Radian. I suspect a Graco Tranzitions/Wayz would, too.

jennzee

I have not yet been able to try a Milestone...Target was the only place I could find one, but they wouldn't let me take it out to try it. Just by visual assessment, it looked like it might be narrower at the sides than the Extend2Fit, but hard to tell.

BRU didn't have anything but the Tranzitions, and it was too wide to tumble the captain's chair.

We tried an RXT and it is so far the only real possibility. I would like the flexibility of putting it in the center of the third row as well if needed, but we didn't get a great install there. However, I had forgotten that you can twist the buckle stalk, so that might help. I also read a few threads with suggestions for that seating position that I can try when I go back to look at it again.

The +1 successful install thread mentioned the Foonf a lot...do you know how the Fllo works there? It's more than I planned to spend, but dh gave the go-ahead to check it out if it's a possibility.

I'll add the NEXT to my list. The Defender I've tried before for a tight three-across and didn't love the seat in general, so I'm more hesitant on that one.

Thanks for all of your feedback...you've been super helpful!

Dillipop

Ok...at BBB right now. They only have the extend2fit, and there's some overhang near the back of the seat (does Graco allow that?), but I'm not even close to being able to tumble the captains chair. Thoughts?

The e2f requires 80 % of the seat be on the vehicle seat. On mine, there is a sticker with a line showing where that is.

lgenne

Oh, the Graco SlimFit is probably worth checking out. It should install like a Milestone, but it's narrower overall.

Totally forgot about Cleks. The Fllo is supposed to work great there.

Was the captain's chair in wide mode when it couldn't tumble next to the Tranzitions?

jennzee

I noticed the line on the E2F, but thought it was meant to indicate overhang from the front or back of the seat, not the sides.

I think BBB did have the SlimFit...I wasn't aware it was almost just like a Milestone. I'll go back and see.

The seats have been in wide mode for everything we've tried. I did get a {poor} picture of the Tranzitions...you can see where the captain's chair starts to get hung up right as it begins to fold over. We did manage to pull it all the way forward, but it wasn't easy and wouldn't be something you'd want to do regularly.

4b350a5d0ebbdf1d9d673764fd024e27.jpg

Dillipop

I noticed the line on the E2F, but thought it was meant to indicate overhang from the front or back of the seat, not the sides.

Sorry, I thought you meant front or back overhang. I have no idea if Graco allows a little side overhang or not. You might need to call on that if you come across a Graco seat that allows the outboard seat to tumble and there's overhang.

jennzee

What about an IMMI Go? I have a 13 Ody and a Go... I can check for you if you want.

Holly said that requires latch? I'd like the flexibility of being able to use the middle seat in the 3rd row with boosters on each side. The RXT fit back there without hampering the kids' ability to get buckled in their boosters, if we could just get a better install on it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC