New latch manual, new limits. Ask about your car here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Anne, Are you aware of any specific and official directive to Canadians to ignore stated vehicle weight limits? Top tethers are required to be used on all forward facing child restraints, but we have been asking for clarification as to what to do for kids over stated vehicle limits for ages and received nothing. CPSAC's recent correspondence with TC (posted on their site) does not really clarify, and actually waffles around the issue saying to read and follow manufacturer's directions.

Reminds me I'm curious to double check what my manuals say. I just ready the True Fit manual last night and it does say that legally in Canada, the top tether must be used at all times when FF.

ADS

tiggercat

Reminds me I'm curious to double check what my manuals say. I just ready the True Fit manual last night and it does say that legally in Canada, the top tether must be used at all times when FF.

Right. I am not questioning that part :) All Canadian seats require a top tether for FF use, as required in the standards. I would never suggest a parent not use the tether FF.

However, if a vehicle manufacturer states a limit on the top tether that ends up being less than 40lb (say 65lb combined on a 30lb seat), that is a problem. And I don't feel that we have specific directive about how to handle it.

TC, CPSAC, no one has come out and said "ignore vehicle limits and tether the seat". Technically, it appears to be an incompatibility. Everything I have read says to read the manuals. Well that doesn't really help me in this situation! I know what the manuals say. You must tether all FF seats, but you cannot tether above vehicle manufacturer's limits and still be correctly using the restraint. It is an impasse.

The point of that vent is, if Anne has seen such a specific directive, I want to read it :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I think it was in the LATCH Manual but I'd have to double-check.

Of note, most vehicle manuals don't list these limits.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Right. I am not questioning that part :) All Canadian seats require a top tether for FF use, as required in the standards. I would never suggest a parent not use the tether FF. However, if a vehicle manufacturer states a limit on the top tether that ends up being less than 40lb (say 65lb combined on a 30lb seat), that is a problem. And I don't feel that we have specific directive about how to handle it. TC, CPSAC, no one has come out and said "ignore vehicle limits and tether the seat". Technically, it appears to be an incompatibility. Everything I have read says to read the manuals. Well that doesn't really help me in this situation! The point of that vent is, if Anne has seen such a specific directive, I want to read it :)

I didn't say you were questioning that? I was merely point out I was curious what manuals currently said. I don't recall others mentioning it was a legal issue like the True Fit. And if TC is going to default to "read your manual", it will be important for the manufacturers to know what's going on. Which they don't. LOL

tiggercat

I didn't say you were questioning that? I was merely point out I was curious what manuals currently said. I don't recall others mentioning it was a legal issue like the True Fit. And if TC is going to default to "read your manual", it will be important for the manufacturers to know what's going on. Which they don't. LOL

Sorry I was editing as you quoted. I wanted to make sure no one thought I was saying not to tether in canada :)

TC's response can be read here
http://www.cpsac.ca/resources.html

Edited: I think those documents have changed since I last read them. Huh. Very interesting.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Sorry I was editing as you quoted. I wanted to make sure no one thought I was saying not to tether in canada :) TC's response can be read here http://www.cpsac.ca/resources.html Edited: Those documents have changed since I last read them. Huh. Very interesting.

Those documents are clear as mud. The TC response says that TC "recommends" always using the top tether. When did it move from law to a recommendation? (Not expecting you to know the answer. ;))

tiggercat

Those documents are clear as mud. The TC response says that TC "recommends" always using the top tether. When did it move from law to a recommendation? (Not expecting you to know the answer. ;))

Yep. And it still doesn't say how to handle a low top tether limit.

tiggercat

Whoa, you just caused a vortex to form in my brain. I think *I* would pick and choose whichever rules I wanted to :whistle:

Well I would do the same thing: tether regardless. It appears the manufacturers intend their limits to apply to all N.A. vehicles, so the only difference in tether required vs tether recommended.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Spin off question here...What if you're an American with a Canadian car like me?

Or a Canadian with an American car like me?

My understanding, from the very little I have been able to eke out from vehicle manufacturers is that any new weight limit probably does apply in Canada but to LOWER anchors only. As we always must top tether...well, I just disregard that part. For now at least, lacking other clear info.

Wy`sMom

My brain hurts and I feel so I'll equipped to deal with all these changes. I'm going to have to take the course all over again once this is all straightened out!

wavegal

2011 Chevy equinox and 2003 Chrysler Town & country. RF Headwise 70 and Britax Parkway Sgl 2013 edition.

Chevy and Chrysler have a combined weight limit of 65lbs. So with the headwise you can latch to 47 lbs since the seat is 18lbs. The Parkway the latch weight doesn't really matter since latch isn't holding the child into the car, its more of a place holder for the seat.

tmahanes

Was trying to find my manual to look up the LATCH limit for my complete air 65 but my ILs have lost it so I need to get on my computer and download it from the dorel website.

In the meantime.... FF can you use the LATCH up to 49 lbs in a 2013 GMC Terrain?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Car-Seat.Org

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Was trying to find my manual to look up the LATCH limit for my complete air 65 but my ILs have lost it so I need to get on my computer and download it from the dorel website.

In the meantime.... FF can you use the LATCH up to 49 lbs in a 2013 GMC Terrain?

Dorel allows use to the full weight limit. GMC is 65 combined. The CA65 weighs 15. Therefore, 50 lbs. is your limit.

tmahanes

Dorel allows use to the full weight limit. GMC is 65 combined. The CA65 weighs 15. Therefore, 50 lbs. is your limit.

Thanks! I was thinking I read it was 16lbs... Just so you don't think I am that horrible at math ;-) I must have looked at another compete air model.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Thanks! I was thinking I read it was 16lbs... Just so you don't think I am that horrible at math ;-) I must have looked at another compete air model.

the CA (50 lb. version) is 16. The CA65 is 15. The CALX/65LX is 17. HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC