New FOONF info!

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Bummer. Do they leave packages at your door if you are gone so they don't have to re-deliver?

If so, what was that address again?

They do. I have had them hang them from trees. Funny stuff. You should have my address. Don't you keep a master list, like I do? ;)

ADS

frugalmom

My understanding is that in both countries, the child must be less than 43in AND have 1in of shell above the head. In the US they must be under 50lbs, in Canada less than 40lb.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Is everyone else sure on this?

I just measured my 4 year old who I was hoping to get this seat for. 43inches :(

only 42 lbs so I was hoping to get another year or so rf. bummer.

orwell1984

Would someone please remind me of what is known about the future plans for cover-swapping? I am new here and have read so many threads on the Foonf that I can't remember the last word (or which thread it was on) and my search skills are woefully lacking today.

Specific questions: 1) would I be able to later replace the Drift Fabric in the seat with another Crypton fabric and 2) would I also be able to replace the headrest with the new pattern? 3) Has tentative pricing been released on replacement covers and headrests?

S

SoCalCarSeatMama

I just measured my 4 year old who I was hoping to get this seat for. 43inches :(

Yes. 43" or 1" of shell rear facing, and 49" forward facing.

Syllieann

I had been hoping I could get one for another yr or so rf but it looks like it won't offer a real height advantage over the radian unless kiddo is super long torsod :(. Sigh, probably better for my pocketbook anyway.

lil.miss32

What is the techie opinion on the height limit? Are y'all *personally* going to stick with the 1" rule? (I know, the "as a tech, I must say...")

tiggercat

What is the techie opinion on the height limit? Are y'all *personally* going to stick with the 1" rule? (I know, the "as a tech, I must say...")

Given the reasons for the height limit (doesn't pass the antirebound portion of CDN standards with the bigger dummy), I will absolutely follow their height limit. Not that I am planning to Foonf it up :p

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

lil.miss32

I figured it was like any other seat with a height limit on it. Short kids with long torsos are different than short torsoed kids with long legs.

tam_shops

With a 43" RF height limit, that keeps the RN as the tallest RF height limit w/ their 44", right?

The Swedish seats do not have RF height limits the way ours do, do they? Perhaps b/c of the foot props?

tam

E

ellejaydub

I don't know whether this is the right place, but I've been looking all over the site and can't figure out whether to start a thread in the Cars section or not, so I'm just adding it here! Mods, feel free to delete!

For those of you that have/are getting the Foonf, what vehicle are you installing in? My DH crashed my beloved Saab wagon yesterday so I'm in the market, and it sounds kind of backwards, but I am kind of shopping for a car that will be compatible with the Foonf!

I'm short so I'm kind of concerned about visibility with her installed RF in the center, maybe not so much now, since she's only 7mo/27.25", but with the headrest fully extended I can see how it might be an issue in some vehicles.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
With a 43" RF height limit, that keeps the RN as the tallest RF height limit w/ their 44", right?

The Peg's RF height limit is 47". At least in Canada. Although, I'm not sure a 47" child would fit RF with the headrest at the 7th slot (but might at 10th slot which unfortunately isn't allowed). My 6 year old is 24.5" seated height, overall height is 46". She has outgrown it RF with the headrest in the 7th slot. I believe she's outgrown it at 8th slot as well (if it was allowed), I didn't check 9th, but 10th she fits. For reference, the 6 year dummy is 25" seated height and 45" overall I believe.

The Swedish seats do not have RF height limits the way ours do, do they? Perhaps b/c of the foot props?

tam

Also due to being installed at less of an angle. Seats are up to 10 degrees IIRC.

tam_shops

The Peg's RF height limit is 47". At least in Canada. Although, I'm not sure a 47" child would fit RF with the headrest at the 7th slot (but might at 10th slot which unfortunately isn't allowed)..

Oh, I didn't realize this about the new Peg seat. Hadn't even really looked at it. Heard way back that it's shell was about the same as the Britax one, which my youngest was too tall for RF when it got here last year...

And, I *hate* it when companies have 47" height allowance, when no 47" child would fit! I mean, take the shortest torso kid going and measure him and he still doesn't fit, what's the point!?

Sad about the Foonf's restrictions, they were making such a big deal about the 50#, but what's the point if a 50# average kid won't fit?

tam

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Oh, I didn't realize this about the new Peg seat. Hadn't even really looked at it. Heard way back that it's shell was about the same as the Britax one, which my youngest was too tall for RF when it got here last year...

I don't have my G2 MA here to compare, but from memory, the seats appear to be similar size/height, but the Peg headrest can be used above the height of the shell. So the child's head can be within an inch of the headrest, not just the shell. So that's taller than the MA I think because according to my manual, I need to be within an inch of the shell for RF on it. I'd measure the 2 heights to be certain, but my MA is gone now.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Peg is only, by my measurements, about a half inch less useable space than the Radian (because at the 7th setting it is about 1 inch shorter than the Radian, but the Radians go by the 1.5 inch measurement, not 1.) 1 inch from top of the headrest when the headrest is in position 7 (which would have the ears of the child still supported by the shell of the seat and the head still contained by the headrest- I'm guessing the ears thing means that's why they decided position 7 is the max allowable rear-facing one because that means that's the limit of it's adequate head support...) Now, kids do tend to gain some height in the Radian, because it's so flat, so that may not play out with a real child, but by the numbers it's quite a tall seat.

Last edited:

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Sad about the Foonf's restrictions, they were making such a big deal about the 50#, but what's the point if a 50# average kid won't fit?

tam

The 50# is to allow for the younger/heavier kids. Essentially they want to be able to get most kids to age 4 rf'ing. The 50lbs isn't for people with 45lb 6 or 7 yr olds to be able to put their kids in rf'ing - it's intended to give enough of a weight limit to allow a child to reach 4 yrs old before moving ff'ing. (I believe they said that 43" is 97%ile for 4yrs old if I remember right - so most kids won't hit 43" before 4yrs old.)

eta: Their seat performs almost identically for injury measures between rf'ing and ff'ing with the 3yr old dummy. With the 6yr old dummy the ff'ing numbers are actually better than rf'ing numbers. (This is most likely because of the REACT technology in the seat.) So if I was to guess, I'd guess that it is probably why they are quite ok with a 4yr old going ff'ing... Along with the fact that 4yrs of age is the goal to rf to in Sweden.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I don't know whether this is the right place, but I've been looking all over the site and can't figure out whether to start a thread in the Cars section or not, so I'm just adding it here! Mods, feel free to delete!

For those of you that have/are getting the Foonf, what vehicle are you installing in? My DH crashed my beloved Saab wagon yesterday so I'm in the market, and it sounds kind of backwards, but I am kind of shopping for a car that will be compatible with the Foonf!

I'm short so I'm kind of concerned about visibility with her installed RF in the center, maybe not so much now, since she's only 7mo/27.25", but with the headrest fully extended I can see how it might be an issue in some vehicles.

When mine gets here, I will be trying it in all different cars, and posting a thread for each.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
With the 6yr old dummy the ff'ing numbers are actually better than rf'ing numbers. (This is most likely because of the REACT technology in the seat.)

I've heard this said a lot by Clek on this board and in person. Although I never heard the better numbers were only with the 6 year dummy...Clek made it sound like it has better FF "numbers" in general. And I quote numbers because WHICH numbers are they referring to? I thought they said they were going to publish their crash test data? Have they yet? And I thought that all "numbers" couldn't be directly compared RF and FF because the body could take much higher forces when RF in certain areas, chest Gs I think may be one?

Pixels

The 50# is to allow for the younger/heavier kids. Essentially they want to be able to get most kids to age 4 rf'ing. The 50lbs isn't for people with 45lb 6 or 7 yr olds to be able to put their kids in rf'ing - it's intended to give enough of a weight limit to allow a child to reach 4 yrs old before moving ff'ing. (I believe they said that 43" is 97%ile for 4yrs old if I remember right - so most kids won't hit 43" before 4yrs old.)

eta: Their seat performs almost identically for injury measures between rf'ing and ff'ing with the 3yr old dummy. With the 6yr old dummy the ff'ing numbers are actually better than rf'ing numbers. (This is most likely because of the REACT technology in the seat.) So if I was to guess, I'd guess that it is probably why they are quite ok with a 4yr old going ff'ing... Along with the fact that 4yrs of age is the goal to rf to in Sweden.

43 inches is 95th percentile for a four year old boy.

The seat performs better FF than RF with the six year old for chest Gs but not for all injury measures. And the most important one of all, neck strain, isn't even measured. All FF seats perform better than their RF counterparts in chest Gs. Chest Gs essentially measure how tightly the movement of the dummy is coupled to the vehicle. The movement of a rear facing seat isn't coupled that closely to that of the vehicle. Just the nature of the beast, not necessarily a good thing nor a bad one.

SwissMomma

I talked to Clek a couple days ago and heard that the 3 year old dummy tested safer forward facing than rear facing. She also said they were releasing their results in 2-3wks.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC