New evenflo seat available sept 2008

ADS

Kat_Momof3

I missed the demo... thanks for pointing it out... I was looking on evenflo.com and couldn't find the seat and figured they didn't have one yet.

edit to add - omg, just watched the install rf with the new latch... and that seat was wiggling more than one inch for sure... and then it moved when he was tightening the straps... not sure about this seat.

barnmama25

Yeah, the First Choice is just like an institutional version of the 3pt Discovery w/o the base (like the Discovery isn't bare bones already). It's in the car seat pictorial if you want to see it.

Only the versions of the Embrace w/ the new seat belt guides can be used w/o the base; it's not retroactive. I personally haven't seen any of these new Embraces that can be installed baseless, even though they claimed to have made the change Spring of 08.

Ahh yes thats what I thought it was, the bare bones Discovery- I guess I was hoping they had a new infant seat or something. And I have not noticed an Embrace that can be used without the base either, and I was just at BRU a few weeks ago checking out every seat, nor have I seen one online.

I luv the girly cover!! Black and Pink or Black and Purple are two of my favorite girl combo colors. Still very upset it only harnesses to 40lbs!

a_js

I think they missed the mark on that one. So many people want a HWH seat that converts to a booster and 40 lbs does not qualify as HWH in my book.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
oh, and here is their girly pattern...http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3012745

anyone wanna guess how young that forward facing baby is?

Honestly? Probably between 18mos and 2 yrs (closer to 2 if I was going to be specific,) and between 27 and 30lbs.

Not really horrible in the grand scheme of things when you consider the smaller children some manufacturers use - at least this child is close to 30lbs if not slightly over, and well over a year old. Absolute best practice would be to see a bigger kid in the seat, but this kid isn't a "barely meets the minimums" kid. :twocents:

And in the gray pattern, the toddler rf'ing might even be over 1yr and 20lbs just judging from the head to body proportions.

I agree the booster mode doesn't look great, but it may be the way the child is sitting. She looks kind of slouched to me. The belt is at least low against her body - the 3in1 seats from dorel tend to have a physical gap between the body and the seatbelt. So perhaps it's not as bad as it looks since the belt as at least against her. I'll reserve judgement until we see some pic's of kids in the seat. :thumbsup:

As for the demos, the type of movement we're seeing in the rf'ing video isn't physical side to side movement like you would see with a loose installation. I wish they had shown how to better check for movement, as that guy is tugging much harder than what we teach parents and he's twisting as opposed to pushing/pulling. My bet would be if he checked for side to side movement, he'd be under 1/2". Britax seats with the dual latch straps are much different in the seat not being able to rotate under a tight belt. If you pushed down on the side of a tight snugride or any other seat, you would be able to create the identical movement... I can push and shift my EFTA slightly once it's installed with zero movement at the belt path. I'll often do that if it's slightly crooked after I'm done tightening the belt. My snugride was the same way.

The ff'ing kid in the demo, while he is not at the rf'ing weight limit, is probably over 2yrs old. Sometimes it helps to remember that we look at our kids who we keep rf'ing to the limits of the seat, and compare all kids to that. In real world experience and helping parents at seat checks, I'm happy to get kids to 2yrs rf'ing. It would be great to see parents exceed that by going to the limits, but just getting to age 2 is already so much better than so many people do and provides an extra year of protection. Ideal sometimes needs to be tempered with real life, and I can't fault Evenflo for using kids in the 2yr age bracket for the ff'ing demo/pictures. They really don't look *that* small to me. It's so much better than what they could've done.

Honestly, aside from the younger girl in the booster, the demos really aren't bad IMO - I'm impressed with the emphasis to read both manuals, and the general explanation of LATCH - it might be common sense for a lot of us who have been exposed to it, but a lot of people don't have that knowledge base.

And hey, they've put an age minimum on booster use that is above what many manufacturers state. They deserve some credit for that although it's unfortunate they didn't go with a 40lb booster minimum since the harness height should fit most kids to 40lbs...

Overall I'm actually impressed with the seat and the demos. Of course I'm going to have to wait to get my hands on one for probably another year to 18months, and by then I'll have no need for another convertible seat. :rolleyes:

crunchierthanthou

I was referring to the ff kid in the still photo on TRU's website... not in the demo.
http://trus.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pTRU1-4472531_alternate1_reg.jpg

the kid in the demo is easily 2-4yrs old, I am sure.

:confused: isn't it the same kid? even looks like the same photo...

evenflodemo.jpg

TerisBoys

The more I look at it, the more I like it. Just wish they'd tested/certified it to 50# like the other Evenflos.

After watching the demos - I'm liking that SureLATCH. And the infinite slide harness SHOULD help alleviate the problems the Nauti has with it's headrest being too high for some kids.

Definately something to find and play with!

arly1983

I love the way it looks, the sure latch looks great in theory, and I like that base is removable.

BUT with a 40 lb weight limit (my kids are 42 and 36 lbs) I have no need for it.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
you know...considering they have tested/marketed their other seats to 50 lbs, it makes me want to say that they *DID* test it..and it just didn't pass. I mean...brainless as some of these car seat companies seem to be sometimes......i'm sure it occurred to someone there to test it to 50.......which honestly, scares me a LOT, since you know there are going to be parents out there who don't understand the harness only goes to 40, and *if* the seat fails at some point between 40 and 50 pounds.....well....bleh.

TeresaJG

I thought the weight limit was 100lbs. Up to 65lbs with 5 point harness and up to 100lbs with the regular seat belt? Am I wrong? I can't decide between this one and the True Fit.

MomToEliEm

I thought the weight limit was 100lbs. Up to 65lbs with 5 point harness and up to 100lbs with the regular seat belt? Am I wrong? I can't decide between this one and the True Fit.

It is a 5 point harness up to 40 pounds. Can be a belt positioning booster from 30-100 pounds.

The evenflo seat has a top harness position of 16" whereas the True Fit has 17.5". The true fit also harnesses above 40 pounds.

If I were looking for a seat that would last for a long time, I would choose the true fit over the evenflo seat since it will last longer harnessed.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
it's up to 40 in the harness, then it converts to a booster to be used w/ a lap/shoulder belt to 100 lbs.

TeresaJG

It's too bad it doesn't harness until 65lbs and then has the option for the use of seat belt after that. It would be the only car seat I would need to buy. I guess the true fit it is. Thanks. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC