Need your help. . .

ohiomommy08

Well, I was able to purchase the SureRide from Target for the family that my church is helping out. I'm hoping that I can meet with them directly and show them how to use the seat, but it might be more of a situation where I drop it off with the lady who is in charge of the housing unit.

I'm wondering if anyone has a basic brochure/list etc. of key points that I could leave with them or else give me ideas of what to include if I make my own. I'm not sure if they are English speaking, so I want to keep it simple, but I want to touch on the main points. My understanding is that the child is 18 months old and is 22 lbs.

Please share your ideas! I need to get this done soon! Thank you!

Laurie

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Here's what I hand out to parents.

General carseat reminders:
Rear facing a seat is outgrown
At the weight limit
When there is less than 1” of shell above the head
Forward facing a seat is outgrown
At the weight limit
When the top of the ear goes over the top of the shell
When the shoulders go over the top slots
Keep the harness snug, so that you cannot pinch anything horizontally at the shoulder.

Installation reminders:
Always check for movement at the belt path only (where the seatbelt or LATCH strap goes through).
Check with a firm handshake from the non dominant hand.
Look for less than 1” of movement
Forward facing make sure the seat is tethered.
Rear facing there may be movement at the head of the seat. That is fine.
Rear facing, make sure the angle is acceptable. 45o for a newborn, as upright as 30o for an older child
Lock the seatbelt (pull the seatbelt out slowly at the shoulder, or there is a lock at the buckle, it varies by
vehicle), or use a locking clip or built in lockoff.

Using the seat:
Rear facing have the straps at or below the shoulders.
Forward facing the straps should be at or above the shoulders.
The chest clip goes at nipple/armpit level.
Make sure the harness is tight, nothing can be pinched at the shoulders (yes, important enough to
mention twice).
Never put an infant seat in the seating area of a shopping cart.

When it's time to change seats:
Since 2002 the AAP has recommended to face the rear to the maximum limits of the convertible seat.
Nowadays that's 35-45 pounds, and ideally 3-4 years old.
Harness forward facing until at least 5-6 years old, when kids have the size and maturity to sit properly
in a high back booster.
Use a high back booster until it's outgrown, usually 8-10 years old.
Use a backless booster until the seatbelt properly fits, usually 10-12 years old
Seatbelt is low on the hips/high on the thighs
Shoulder belt crosses the collarbone
Bum is all the way back
Knees bend at the edge of the seat
Feet reach the floor
Child can sit properly for the entire ride

Washington State Law:
The restraint law states a child must use an appropriate restraint until 8 years old or 4'9”.
The seatbelt law states that a child must use an appropriately fitting seatbelt until age 16 (when the adult
seatbelt law takes over), or use a proper restraint.
Children must sit in the backseat, when practical to do so, until their 13th birthday.

Four Ps:
Planes: Always buy a ticket for your child, and use a carseat until 40 pounds, as per the FAA recommendations
Pets: Secure any pets. Dogs and cats can use a hardware mounted gate, or use a crate, dog harness, or soft crate in the footwell.
Projectiles: Anything not buckled down will become a projectile in a crash. Use compartmentalization or tying down to prevent objects from flying. If you would throw it at your baby's head, it's safe to have loose.
Puffy coats: Do not put anything thick between baby and the harness and the seat. Nothing more than a fleece or sweater (the same goes for adults). A puffy coat, blanket, or added snuzzle can move the harness out of proper position, and add space that will compress in a crash, leading to increased chance of ejection and injury.

For you I'd remove the WA state law. And I'd mark for the SureRide that it's 40" or 1" of shell.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC