Question Need help for 4yr old

Motherof3kids

have a DS who turns 4 May 24th. We drive a '06 Toyota Sienna Van. My son has a Evenflo Symphony 65. We tried using it as a booster with a seat belt. For the most part he does okay, but some times I feel like he isn't sitting correctly or the seat belt doesn't lock allowing for extra movement. He is 36lbs. We converted him to the seat belt because the crotch strap was bothering him and the straps were rubbing his neck. Are there any other options?? TIA:)

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Most of us would say that a booster is not really an option for a child who is not yet four (or very newly four) and under 40 pounds. What is your budget for exploring other options?

gsdguenter

Hi, and Welcome! :D

Really we like to see kids at least 4 AND 40 lbs. before boostering. So, since you're looking for different options, I'd suggest getting a combination seat and harnessing him until he gets to that 40 lb. mark (there are of course exceptions) and he is mature enough to sit in position for the duration of the ride. For some kids (very few) this happens at age 4, but for most its between 5-7 yrs. old.

So, we'll need some more info to really suggest things more specifically.

1. What is his torso height? (seated against a wall measuring from butt to shoulder)
2. How much are you wanting/willing to spend?
3. Do you have any younger kids to pass his seat down to when he outgrows it?

Some good combination seats out there are: Britax Frontier (expensive, but lasts a long time), Recaro ProSport, Graco Nautilus/Argos, SecureKid 300/400, and Evenflo Maestro. I'm sure others will be able to recommend more, but these are a great start and are known to be good for many people.

I really think this will be your best bet instead of boostering now.

Motherof3kids

He does have a little sister that is 2yr old that is currently in the Graco MyRide. He is 39in tall and I 'think' 11in from butt to shoulder. We would like a very SAFE seat that has a pretty easy install. We LOVE the sympony due to the latch system, but find the Graco MyRide to be an easy intall in our van as well. We would like suggestions at different price ranges, but would like to stay under $250. He is a pretty picky little man and we live in the AZ heat.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
You might take a look at the Evenflo Secure Kid 400. It has the SureLatch system similar to the Symphony. If he doesn't have the same crotch strap problem that he has in the Symphony maybe that would be a great choice since you like Evenflo's LATCH system.

Most kids find the Frontier 85 to be really comfortable. So if he's super picky about the harness and crotch buckle that would be a good option. You can usually find it for around $215 on sale, so it's not cheap but it's within your price range.

Since you're not sure, double-check his torso height because that sounds really short to me for a nearly 4 year old. An accurate measurement of his torso would influence our recommendations.

Motherof3kids

So looking at all the options listed, what would you consider the most appropiate choice? I am eager to get him back into a harness so I am willing to pay for comfort. I want him to like his seat:)

wnkw

If you can spend the money, id go with frontier 85. My daughter loves it. We bought a booster to try and ended up returning it to get another frontier 85. She is 43" and 49 lbs with plenty of room to grow. Oh and the crotch buckle/strap is the reason we moved her from her previous convertible :)

emandbri

My daughter will be 6 in July and right now I have the radian and nautilus in the van and she keeps picking the nautilus. She is 53 lbs and I think 49 inches.

Good Luck!

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Okay I think it is 14in. Does that sound about right??

Yes, that's much more typical. :)

He should fit in almost any car seat on the market right now. The ones that will offer the most growing room would be:
Evenflo - Maestro or Secure Kid (SK comes in a 300 or 400 model; 400 has SureLatch)
Graco - Nautilus or Argos
Britax - Frontier 85, or Frontier 85 SICT

The Evenflo and Graco seats will accomodate him in booster mode until his shoulder hits around 17.5 or 18 inches. The Britax ones will work until 19.5 or 20 inches. The Evenflo and Graco seats should be plenty to get him to a good age and size for a booster.

There are lots of other choices, too, since he's not crazy tall. The Recaro Pro Sport is a pretty popular high-end seat. You also might give the Diono Radian some consideration - it doesn't convert to a very usable booster but if you like its other features you can always get a dedicated booster in about 2-3 years anyway.

The Britax Frontier 85 is probably the most comfortable for the most kids, however it's not always the easiest to install (it really depends on your vehicle). I still think I'd suggest looking at the Secure Kid 400 and seeing if your son is comfortable and if the straps seem to offer enough growing room to last him for a few years. I probably would stay away from the Graco seats; if he's uncomfortable with the Symphony crotch strap he'll probably be uncomfortable in the Nautilus and Argos also. The Secure Kid probably has the same crotch strap as the Symphony (I don't know for sure, but it's likely) but it may be placed in a different location and not cause him any trouble. If you (or your son) don't like the Secure Kid then I'd probably get the Frontier.

tam_shops

I've heard and read boys complaining about the Graco Nautilus crotch strap not giving them enough room. So, I'd try before I buy...

My guy has been in one for a few months, never had a problem, but he's a skinny small guy so...And, then there is the kid factor, as my YDS has complained about it in the Radian and my older guy did not AND it's on the outer most spot and does not even touch him...

tam

Little Ps Mama

Brigala said:
The Britax Frontier 85 is probably the most comfortable for the most kids, however it's not always the easiest to install (it really depends on your vehicle). I still think I'd suggest looking at the Secure Kid 400 and seeing if your son is comfortable and if the straps seem to offer enough growing room to last him for a few years. I probably would stay away from the Graco seats; if he's uncomfortable with the Symphony crotch strap he'll probably be uncomfortable in the Nautilus and Argos also. The Secure Kid probably has the same crotch strap as the Symphony (I don't know for sure, but it's likely) but it may be placed in a different location and not cause him any trouble. If you (or your son) don't like the Secure Kid then I'd probably get the Frontier.

Ditto all of this. Proper install is so important and I personal feel the FR85 has a learning curve which I'm not a fan of. I have to do long belt path install of our FR85 in my 09 Sienna to get a proper install and quite frankly its a bit of a pain and takes practice to do. If you feel confident in your symphony install I'd try the SK400 with SureLatch first. The Graco Nautilus and Argos are easy to install but some kids find the crotch strap position uncomfortable (my almost four year old boy does not).

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

hedgefun

tam_shops said:
I've heard and read boys complaining about the Graco Nautilus crotch strap not giving them enough room. So, I'd try before I buy...

We have a Nautilus and I agree with this. The positioning of the crotch strap is on the short side (depth-wise).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC