Need ERF links

biskisgirl

Im very big on ERF, I know all the benefits and RFd DD1 until she was 3 and maxed out her Marathon...I cried the day I turned her. Now DD2 is 25 months and is maxing out her Scenera and Tribute so I picked out the MyRide for her to keep her RFd as long as possible. I told Grandma why we needed new seats and all about why the MyRide was perfect for her and how she'd be RF'd so much longer. Grandma seemed to be on board and just fine with it until last night when she brought her home and I noticed her seat was FF. Grandma/Grandpa keep her during the day while I work and daddy lives with them so she kinda lives in both houses. Anyway, I told grandma she needed to turn her back RF and she told me she went online and looked at the state guidelines and says that because it says till 2 that she thinks she's fine FF. Ummm no, not cool with me. So, I told her I wanted her flipped again and because I was very important to me and she's so much safer and grandma is all about her safety (just this week she started refusing to feed her anything with nitrates because of the cancer risk) so she's asking me to give her links to the info so she can look at it and do what's best for her. Now...I don't have any of the links and everything Im finding online says till 2 minimum and when they max out their seat height/weight and some even say till 30-35lbs. She's 40" and 31lbs so Im worried she'll say "well she's maxed out this seat so we can flip her now" and Im not ok with that. Help me, I need links showing why it's so important to keep her RF as long as possible, specifically after they are 2...up to 3 and possibly 4. Grandpa is also not on board, because he has a bad back and it's easier for him to get her into a FF seat, and told me today that he thinks she should be flipped because "she's happier that way"...Im more concerned with her safety...

ADS

Brianna

Welcome to car-seat.org! Can I just say how awesome it is that your DD made it to 3 RF? That's great :D

This page has an amazing amount of info on ERF http://carseatblog.com/5168/why-rear-facing-is-better-your-rf-link-guide/ and carseat.se has a page on RF until 4- it's a Swedish site with Swedish info.

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

*edit- for grandpa, can you see if you can teach DD2 to crawl into her seat? Around that age some children can start doing it, but others at that age just hate being restrained so YMMV.

biskisgirl

Welcome to car-seat.org! Can I just say how awesome it is that your DD made it to 3 RF? That's great :D

This page has an amazing amount of info on ERF http://carseatblog.com/5168/why-rear-facing-is-better-your-rf-link-guide/ and carseat.se has a page on RF until 4- it's a Swedish site with Swedish info.

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

*edit- for grandpa, can you see if you can teach DD2 to crawl into her seat? Around that age some children can start doing it, but others at that age just hate being restrained so YMMV.

Thanks for the reply, Ive been compiling links as I go along but still looking for specifics on past 2 years. I looked at your link and you can't see the 4 year page, it's subscription based. I should have explained, when they bring her home she is asleep as it's late at night, so she can't just crawl in...and he drives a large truck so it's high up off the ground so I doubt she could even if she was awake. Yesterday he tried to tell me that the adjuster strap gets in the way, well duh, just move it out of the way. They haven't bought her MyRide yet and now Im worried they'll see the stuff on flipping her when she maxes out the seat and say that because she has maxed them out they can flip her. I would normally just say they should listen because she's my daughter but her father lives with them and he has just as much say and he will agree with them and it will be one big mess if I don't tread lightly. I want to educate them first. It's really just the 5 minute ride home grandma is asking me to allow her to FF, she says the rest of the time if they go anywhere she will RF her but I don't think she's going to want to keep turning her carseat back and forth because it's a pain in the butt.

S

SoCalCarSeatMama

S

SoCalCarSeatMama

I really like this video too. I usually like to give the reading material first and then follow up with the video to give them a visual to all the information they read....usually helps it click. Good luck!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sssIsceKd6U&list=UUJVS8j7PauELRbhJbR1KtFQ&index=29&feature=plcp"]Rear facing vs forward facing position in the car - YouTube[/ame]

Brianna

Is it possible that her father could put DD2 in the car seat so grandpa doesn't have to strain his back?

The second link mamajuls posted should be quite helpful. My favorite part of that page (there are more if you click the RF 0-4 tab at the top) is the diagram showing head size relative to body size. You can see even at 2 the head is quite large compared to the body. The biggest thing that hit home for me was this quote from the link I gave you
Approximately 75% of kids in Sweden rear-face until at least age 4. From 1999-2006, only 4 rear-facing children under age 4 were killed in crashes and their deaths were due to circumstances unrelated to the direction the carseat was facing (fire, drowning, excessive intrusion). During that same timeframe, 6 kids under age 4 facing forward in booster seats were killed; 3 of these crashes were potentially survivable crashes had the children been in rear-facing carseats.

Yes they do have a smaller population, but that is a much lower percentage of children's deaths here in motor vehicles.

biskisgirl

If you send her this, highlight the "child should remain rear facing until they've reached the limit of the seat" part.

http://www.safercar.gov/parents/RightSeat.htm

For info/videos
http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/children.html

She has already hit max on her seats, so that would only tell her to flip her forward. That is why I picked out new MyRides to move her into (which haven't been purchased yet, grandma was working on that) so she could RF longer.

Her dad can't put her into the car, he is not home when she is brought home to me, it's just grandma and grandpa. I know they both struggle, grandma has a hard time carrying her back into the house when they get here (Ive been going out and getting her myself) because they've just been run and run by her (she's very energetic and busy so you want to collapse at the end of the night LOL!). I sent her a ton of stuff and have been talking to a CPST, hoping I can get her to email with her to show her how dangerous it really is and she'll decide to RF.

Owlish

This is really helpful. I'm trying to compile links about booster and carseat use to send to my brother. I want to at least be able to say I tried to educate him. I hope the email doesn't get too long though :eek: I'll have to edit as I go, then re-edit before I click send.

Brianna

Would you consider a seat other than the MyRide with a lower profile that might be easier for grandparents to use RF? If you would, what's your budget?

Or, maybe you could rearrange the seats you already have. Do you have a lower profile seat already, other than the Scenera/Tribute?

alex9179

She has already hit max on her seats, so that would only tell her to flip her forward. That is why I picked out new MyRides to move her into (which haven't been purchased yet, grandma was working on that) so she could RF longer.

Ah ha, if Grandma is buying the seats that could be part of the reason. Maxing out the seat was stated in conjunction with rear facing to 4 yrs old so I would concentrate on that. Also, look for physiological articles stating the injuries that could occur in one so young, if in a crash. Usually, I don't like emotionally manipulative videos/articles but if that's what it takes for Grandma to rear face I'd send them to her.

Show her the vertebrae fusing section- I like this one because it's factual
http://www.carseatsite.com/RF_Handout2.pdf

This article actually mentions rear facing to age 4
http://www.squintmom.com/evidence-b...rom-rear-facing-to-forward-facing-in-the-car/

Unfortunately, if you want them in those seats it may be necessary for you to purchase and install them.

biskisgirl

Would you consider a seat other than the MyRide with a lower profile that might be easier for grandparents to use RF? If you would, what's your budget?

Or, maybe you could rearrange the seats you already have. Do you have a lower profile seat already, other than the Scenera/Tribute?

Right now I have a Marathon (that expires in December) and the Scenera, Grandma has the Tribute. Grandma has already agreed to buy the MyRide for my van and then also one for her car for later on (height wise she's not to the 1" line just yet on either), and even the $150 budget is a bit much for both of us. I posted on another board Im on and that's the carseat they all recommended and upon looking at it, that's the one I liked the best based on the fact that I dont want to have to buy another seat for her, she will move into DD1s booster when it's time (Im getting DD1 a Nautilus). The profile of the seat isn't the issue, it's the fact that they can just set her in there right off their shoulder when it's forward...when it's backward they have to cradle her and lean into the car more and the bending is what's hard for them. Did you have another seat in mind that would accomodate her until she's much older (the MyRide will last her another 4 years at least), for no more than $150 and can be bought at a store?

Unfortunately, if you want them in those seats it may be necessary for you to purchase and install them.

I have no problem purchasing the seat for my van, and even if I bought one for grandma's car, that doesn't mean she won't turn it forward again anyway and I can't exactly tell her she can't put her in the car because she has to bring her home...I don't have another option, I can't go get her because I have kids sleeping that I can't leave. Ive made it quite clear to her that I want her rear facing and I sent her all the links. Now I just have to wait for her to go through them all, I will give her a couple days to get online to read them but that's it and tomorrow when she comes to get her Im flipping the carseat rear facing again.

biskisgirl

A small update of sorts I suppose. So Ive been checking the car every night and so far it's rear facing still. I turned it back around on Saturday when she came to pick her up, she didn't seem too happy about it but didn't say anything, and I told her I'd sent her the links to look at. She hasn't said anything about it and hasn't turned the seat so I guess we will see what happens. Maybe she realizes Im right and just doesn't want to hash it out.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC