need car seat help for school bus

vangelder03

ds2 will be going to special needs preschool 2 days a week.
called the bus company and they said it was ok to rf him on the bus.
but they won't provide the seat bus has lap belts only.
any help would be great
ds2 stats
torso 14 3/4 inches
between 23 to 26 lbs his weight changes
and 35 1/2 inches tall
will be turning 3 on 8/4/11
seat would need to last til next august
trip is a short one less than ten minutes
which seat would you suggest?

ADS

jnamommy

Will it be an actual school bus with lapbelts, or a big van?
And will you be able to install it once and let it there, or will the teacher/bus driver have to uninstall it when he gets to school, reinstall it when preschool is over, then you uninstall it when he gets home,.........?

vangelder03

Will it be an actual school bus with lapbelts, or a big van?
And will you be able to install it once and let it there, or will the teacher/bus driver have to uninstall it when he gets to school, reinstall it when preschool is over, then you uninstall it when he gets home,.........?

it will be a 20 or 30 ft bus with lap belts some kids will be in ff car seats or in a harness system attached to the seat.
i will have their safety tech install it and it will remain in the bus.

vangelder03

bump my appointment is at 8:30 am really need to get a seat tonight
has anybody ever installed a rf car seat on a school bus
i wish i could just drive him but my kindergartner and first grader go to a different school and they would be late if i drove him to school

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Whatever fits him should be fine- lap belts are pretty easy installs. I'd probably go with something like the Graco MyRide that is going to last him the time you need, easy to install, but is on the cheap end. :) I'm pretty sure a MyRide would fit rear-facing on a bus, I've only seen Sceneras RF on buses but I think you'd have a bit of room.

I'll PM Judi to come look, she's taken the school bus class and might know. :)

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
The problem is front to back space. The evenflo tribute fits perfect, to give you an idea. On the road right now. Will think about this more and post back.

vangelder03

Honestly, at 3 I'd just let him ff in the harnesses they provide.

if my kid weighed 30 lbs he would be able to use the harness they provide.
High Back Booster Car Seat from cosco is the ff car seat they would provide.
base on review of this seat the harness height is either 14.5 inches or 15 inches.

ahgirls

vangelder03 said:
in a harness system attached to the seat.
i will have their safety tech install it and it will remain in the bus.

Is their harness system a star something? I know some dd2 classmates don't weigh 30 lbs. What does the star harness system start at for weight?

On our bus its the aid that buckles & unbuckled the kid. Last yr I had to teach him how to tighten the hip part. Rolling eyes. Can't wait to train this yrs aid.

vangelder03

Is their harness system a star something? I know some dd2 classmates don't weigh 30 lbs. What does the star harness system start at for weight?

On our bus its the aid that buckles & unbuckled the kid. Last yr I had to teach him how to tighten the hip part. Rolling eyes. Can't wait to train this yrs aid.

one company makes one that starts at 20 lbs (BESI OVER-THE-SHOULDER HARNESS FOR CHILDREN)and another starts at 25lbs to 65 lbs (STANDARDStar)
the school district we are in has the the harness that starts at 30 lbs

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Ok, finally home looking for pics. One other thing is the belts are not regulated. So you can have one with a 3" stock and another bus with a 6" stock. Oh, the fun.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I only have a couple pics. Here is the radian. You see, it is not perfect, but as good as it would go. I was just playing.

Radian2.jpg

FFing.

Radian.jpg

Snugride with base barely fit.

IMG_9847.jpg

vangelder03

can i request that a cpst be the one to install my car seat and to be notified
if the car seat is moved ?
what rights do i really have in regards to the bus and my childs safety?

vangelder03

Have fun dealing with bus drivers, really.

what i am really wondering is how long it will take my 3 yr old before he is kicked off the school bus. i am so scared he will try and bite the aide who tries to put him in his car seat.
i can't sleep i am so stressed out.

bethng

has anybody ever installed a rf car seat on a school bus

I have a student who is RFing in a scenera. There is not a lot of room (its pretty upright but he is over 3 now). The problem is the bus drivers have NO CLUE how to install the seat. I have had to fix it so many times. Wrong belt path, way loose, towels where they should not be, two seat belts used, staps way too high...and the best one...a driver tried to install it ON the STARS seat. He thought he had to use the STARS seat to secure the car seat. :doh: I know that the transportation department thinks I am a PITA because I put in his IEP that he must ride rear facing until he outgrows the rear facing limits of the seat. Tehehe.....but this is a tiny 3 year old. He is maybe 20 lbs and about as tall as a typical 1 year old.....very "floppy" too.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Yeah, what Beth said. I have dealt with a lot of bus drivers. Most really do not get it. I hope they do after all the training we give them.

ahgirls

Do like Beth said get it in his IEP.

I wished I did that for R. Personally I think she would be better to compartmentalization then with their half ass buckle jobs. My favorite is when they (bus driver/aid) let the kids buckle themselves up. I really hope we get a new aid this fall.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC