Need Booster Advice for my 7yo

lanwenyi

My 7yo DD needs a new everyday booster. Recs please. Thx!

She turned 7yo in Sept. She rides perfectly in a hbb, but is not ready for a nbb. (We use one on vacation, but she needs constant reminders to follow booster rules when in one and she still falls asleep in the car at home).

Current stats: 45.5", 47lbs. Longer torso, shorter legs.

Her shoulders were even with the top slots of the Radian XTSL a few months ago (the last time she rode in it, June/July-ish, I believe, but could have been earlier), but she's had several growth spurts since then.

Price is a non-issue. Long-lasting and comfortable are important. I know I'll have to try them to see about fit in our cars. We have a BRU local, but won't have a BBB until next summer (currently building it) and the seat is needed now. Her current Turbo (which expires next Dec) has a headrest that keeps falling down, so it has to be replaced now.

DD is skinny, narrow shouldered, and long-torsoed for her height (I have to buy all her clothing in slim, and her shirts a size bigger than her pants otherwise her belly shows, the shirts are all too big around even when they are supposed to be "fitted", and I still have to tighten the waists on the "slim" pants).

ADS

lanwenyi

I'd look into the Cybex booster, the Recaro Performance Booster, and/or the Britax Parkway.

What is the Cybex booster? What are its advantages?

I know the Recaro Booster. I'd heard it has a longer seat depth. Is that true?

The BEST fitting booster she has is the Vivo. If they were still making it (or if they were making a clone of it with LATCH), I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

DD's fit in the old Parkway was bad. We ended up giving it away (got it for $35 on clearance, so I couldn't bear just returning it!) to my niece who was in need of a booster. Has the Parkway been updated in the last 2 years? If so, what changes did they make?

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
What is the Cybex booster? What are its advantages?

I know the Recaro Booster. I'd heard it has a longer seat depth. Is that true?

The BEST fitting booster she has is the Vivo. If they were still making it (or if they were making a clone of it with LATCH), I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

DD's fit in the old Parkway was bad. We ended up giving it away (got it for $35 on clearance, so I couldn't bear just returning it!) to my niece who was in need of a booster. Has the Parkway been updated in the last 2 years? If so, what changes did they make?

Here is some info about each: http://carseatblog.com/carseatblogcoms-recommended-car-seats/

I would type it all out, but my typing ability is reduced right now due to an arm injury.

aept

Lol I was thinking if only they still made the vivo that would be perfect!
Although it might be nice to have something that can convert into a backless booster anyways since she's already 7.
I am fond of the parkway and if you think she will be a car sleeper for a while, yet, it does go nice and tall.

lanwenyi

Ok, I read the link and detailed reviews on the new Parkway (I def had the 2012 version), the Performance Booster, and the Q-fix.

Couple questions:
The Performance booster is named as being deep. DD is comfy in the turbo and Vivo. Her knees bed comfortably in them. Will the Performance booster be too deep for her?

The new Parkway is listed as wider in the shoulders than the 2012 Parkway. She had 2 problems with the 2012 Parkway: lapbelt too high (fixed with SG) and the shoulderbelt was always falling of her shoulder if she moved even a miniscule amount, even turning her head. Will the shoulder fit be better or will the extra width make the problem worse?

The Q-fix seems the hardest to find (amazon was a miss). Anyone have one for personal feedback?

aept

Supposedly the shoulder belt fit is better on children with narrow shoulders in a "new" parkway than an older one. It was recently discussed in another thread. I have a parkway SGL from 2010 and I agree it would be very close to falling off at the shoulder when my booster riders were smaller.
I think the "wider" shoulder measurement on the new parkway might be an external measurement? It is shaped differently at the top.

lanwenyi

Supposedly the shoulder belt fit is better on children with narrow shoulders in a "new" parkway than an older one. It was recently discussed in another thread. I have a parkway SGL from 2010 and I agree it would be very close to falling off at the shoulder when my booster riders were smaller.
I think the "wider" shoulder measurement on the new parkway might be an external measurement? It is shaped differently at the top.

That's reassuring. I'll try and track one down to try. My BRU used to carry them, but didn't have ANY (SG or SGL) when my DH took DD on Saturday. The next closest baby store, USA Baby, is 40 minutes away. I'll call to see what they carry.

Anyone have input on the Performance Booster or the Q-Fix?

BookMama

Senior Community Member
My DD1 loves her Performance Booster - after a year of use it's still her favorite booster ever (and she's tried quite a few others). She's the kid featured in the CarSeatBlog review. :) http://carseatblog.com/23882/recaro-performance-booster-review-feeling-the-love/

You said that your DD has a long torso and short legs - I wouldn't necessarily get something with short seat depth, because she might outgrow it quickly leg-wise. The Performance Booster offers lots of support. I think my DD was just a little bigger than yours is now when she first started using it, and it has always fit her well.

In my opinion, the only real (potential) drawbacks of it are that it's wide (so, not great for potential side-by-side installations) and it doesn't become a backless booster. But I've got a couple of dedicated backless boosters that we use as spares anyway, so we'll just switch to one when DD outgrows the Performance Booster in high back mode.

Let us know if you have any other specific questions. :)

lanwenyi

Thanks for your input!

My only concern with the depth is that the Vivo is not short on her (her legs don't fall asleep) and the Turbo is perfect (her knees bend almost perfectly at the end with very little to no overhang). If the Performance booster is significantly longer, won't it encourage her to slump down so her knees bend at the edge? That's what I'm trying to figure out. I'm not sure what the comparative depth measurement is between the Turbo and the Performance booster.

I'm not concerned with it turning into a backless. We've always ended up buying the right seat for fit anyway when moving up steps, so not becoming a nbb is not a dealbreaker to us. We have both a bubblebum and a literider on hand and will purchase others if needed when she's ready to go backless.

3 across isn't super important either, I can substitute with an RSTV, Vivo, or bubblebum when I NEED 3-across. Most of the time, it's just the 2 kids outboard in the back.

Anyone have input on the Q-fix? How does it fit? Any known issues? Likelihood of it fitting my kid well?

I can't find any of these seats locally, so I will have to buy blind and hope they work. I really wish that Recaro was still making the Vivo, it would make my life SO much easier!

ohiomommy08

I have two performance boosters that I LOVE! They are a bit deeper than the turbo. When we first started booster training when petite DD was 5, she fit better in the turbo, and we held off a few months before using the performance booster. Now she uses every day and fits great!! The turbo is in G&G's car so I couldn't measure it, but the bottom of the PB (measuring in the dark) was right about 13 inches. I love that this seat will last her for YEARS!

lanwenyi

I measured my daughter at approx 13.5" from wall to where her knees bend, so it looks like the Performance booster could work. The Vivo is her fave booster, so if the performance booster has a good shot at working, then I think I'll start there.

Looking at Amazon, there are multiple colors that look very similar. Are some colors older than others? Should I start with particular ones?

We'd be looking at a red color, ruby or redd are the two we are deciding between.

bubbaray

My 10yo is around 50lbs and very skinny. She has used a PW for years. Since 2010? Not sure the exact year. I have never had a problem with belt fit with her in the PW. She still used it in HBB mode.

lanwenyi

What about getting a new Turbo booster?

The fact that the headrest is falling down while still over year away from the old 6yr expiration doesn't endear the Turbo to me (newer Turbos have 10yr expirations). Plus, it's not super comfy for long road trips and we take several of those every year. It's DD's least favorite of all the boosters she's ridden in.

We have another Turbo (that one with Safety Surround) and we like it a little better than the regular Turbo, but not enough to get a second one. It's a fine booster, just not our favorite. That's why we are looking at other boosters.

lanwenyi

Anyone know the answer to my question?

Looking at Amazon, there are multiple colors that look very similar. Are some colors older than others?

We'd be looking at a red color; ruby or redd are the two we are deciding between.

They look identical over my computer screen, but if one will have an older date of manufacture than the other, I want to be sure to order the newer one!

Anyone know?

lanwenyi

Just an update:

We ended up getting the Performance Booster. She fits it, but JUST barely, by seat depth. Her legs barely make it to the edge. I measured 14" from the wall to where her knee would bend (I rounded down to 13.5" to account for error and the fact that her legs weren't bent) and she barely fits the seat depth.
For reference: DD is 45.5" tall and weighs approx 47lbs. She wears size 7 shirts and size 5-6 slim pants.

She finds the seat very comfy. It fits her well in the lapbelt and shoulderbelt areas.

The Ruby color came from Amazon with a 10/23/2014 manufacture date. I was happy with that. My last Recaro from them (K's Bella Vivo) was 13 mths old when I got it and they had not yet discontinued the Vivo at that time.

Thanks everyone for their help!
If anyone has questions for me, I'm happy to answer.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC