Need advice for almost 5 y/o, Harnessed seat or Booster??

barnmama25

Hi everybody! I haven't been around much and am completely lost with all the new seats that have come out. My daughter will be turning 5 in July and she is getting too big for her Britax Decathlon. Right now she is around 45ish pounds and has about 1/2 to 3/4 inch before she reaches the limits of the top harness position. I have been drooling over the ProSport since it came out, but at almost $300 I just don't know how well of an investment it would be if she wont have very long in the harness. Again I have never seen it in person so I am not sure what the harness measurements are on her body. She is measuring around 15 1/2 inches for her torso (give or take, I only had a horrible tape measure to work with! Gah!). I would like to keep her harnessed as long as possible in my car but I am not sure which harnessed seat is the best for her height and weight. Or if I should just go with something like the Britax ParkwaySG?
So it brings me here to ask for recommendations. I drive a 2005 Grand Prix GT, and the only thing I have ever had problems installing was the Regent (which I no longer have). Also I do not like the Nautilus, so that is a no go.
If anybody reading this has the Recaro ProSport, please let me know any info you have on it. Although it is expensive, I could possibly work something out with my parents for financial help, but only if it would be a good investment.
I am so out of the loop, help!!
Open to any and all suggestions besides the Nautilus! Thanks in advance everybody!

ADS

jess71903

Ambassador
I have the ProSport and did a little review of it. I love it!! The top slots are 18.5". The other option besides the Nautilus would be the Britax Frontier 85. It has 19.5" top slots, so would last longer than the ProSport both harnessed and as a booster.

barnmama25

I tried the Frontier about a year or so ago. I thought the crotch strap was very close to her body, but I was being rushed by the kids so I didn't check to see if it could be adjusted. Do others find this to be a problem with the Frontier?

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
I haven't heard complaints about the crotch strap on the frontier85. The nautilus has that issue. I would look at the Recaro prosport or frontier85.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It could take her another six months to get that half inch, at which case I'd be fine with her in a booster if she can sit properly in one. No sense going into so much financial issues for a child who is of an age an size when there are no known benefits to a harness, kwim? Unless she doesn't sit properly, in which case you do what you need to.

The Frontier doesn't have a crotch depth issue. And if your DD does, then she'll be uncomfortable in everything else (I think I could sit in the Frontier and have the crotch strap not be uncomfortable.

Wendy

barnmama25

Well she does have issues with the crotch strap on her DC, it works but it's getting to be a tight fit, and we're almost at the end of the strap length. I didn't really look into the Frontier that day, so idk what the issue was. I have the Como for Evie as well and the strap length and crotch strap are much more roomy than the DC, also the side's of the Recaro's are awesome. I know that she would be able to go a few more months (or more) in both of these seats, but graduation to the next seat is unavoidable and I don't want to get something that will be outgrown within a year. She uses a booster seat in my parents vehicles, but there have been many times I have caught her without the shoulder belt on, also her brother and her constantly pick on each other so I would rather have her tightly confined to her seat. :) I just want to make sure I'm not missing something I hadn't heard of, and get advice since I live in BFE and nice seats aren't readily available. I think I'll just have to plan a trip to the Cities and try them out before I decide. I just <3 the new Envy color on the Recaro's though. Ugggghhh I wish I could just buy them all!

barnmama25

I have the ProSport and did a little review of it. I love it!! The top slots are 18.5". The other option besides the Nautilus would be the Britax Frontier 85. It has 19.5" top slots, so would last longer than the ProSport both harnessed and as a booster.

Thank you so very much for posting this! The fit of the belts and seat are very much like her Como, but the seat is definitely bigger for older children! And I love how it sits on the seat instead of a base. I think Evelynn would have many years of use on the ProSport. I'll have to call around and see if I can find one and try her out in it just to be sure, but I think I will be finding a way to fund one. Oh Mother............... ;) jjk I will be selling my Bubblegum Pink Valco Runabout and hopefully my Inglesina Espresso.

mlohry

I have a friend who LOVES her Prosports, she has 2. She is trying to find a booster she loves as much, but is having a hard time. The Probooster is nothing like the Prosport.

barnmama25

I have a friend who LOVES her Prosports, she has 2. She is trying to find a booster she loves as much, but is having a hard time. The Probooster is nothing like the Prosport.

I have the Vivo and LOVE it! They are still available online and not bad on price either. They're probably not new DOM's like the ProSports, but you could still get a decent amount of time in the ones available. My son is a bulky 6 y/o and he never complains about his seat, actually most of the time he ends up falling asleep and because of the wonderful side supports his head never slumps. I wish Recaro kept it in the line up. It's such a high quality booster!

Rebelnicky04

We had a parkway and I loved it. It didn't take up a lot of room and seemed to work very well. I used it with an 8 year old on the smaller side foster daughter that I had.

jjordan

You should be able to find the ProSport at 20% off with a little looking around... check out the ads at the top of the forum (they might rotate through so it may take some "hunting"...).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC