Need 3 across install help

Jumanji

I need some help with my car seats. I'm just trying to configure my van for my daycare. I have a 3 seater bench in my middle row and I want to be able to fit a them rf | ff | rf. Right now I'm working with two Eddie Bauer 3-in-1's and a Scenera.

Here's a picture of what it looks like installed:

My question is are the seats ok sitting at the edge like they are?

Drivers side seat:

Passenger side seat:

Last edited by a moderator:
ADS

Jumanji

Thanks for the quick reply Jenny. I'm glad they will work. I was dreading having to buy more seats. The back row is going to be Parkway | Radian | Parkway. Those darn EB's are so wide. I will eventually upgrade them to Radian's but there's no way I can buy that many all at once. Just not in the budget. The EB's will expire in the next few years anyway.

scatterbunny

Yes, the 3-in-1s are some wide seats. So are the Britax seats (about the same width as the 3-in-1s) but because the Britax sit up on a narrow base they tend to puzzle better with other seats than the 3-in-1s do. And since the Britax harness longer the width can be forgiven. :p

What van do you have?

I SO want a Radian just so I can fit three across my third row. And I'm not even a daycare provider, and I only have one child. I'm just a crazy carseat nut. :ROTFLMAO:

Jumanji

I'm so obsessed with car seats right now. I have a 2004 Grand Caravan. I have two 3-seater benchs in it making it a 8 seater. I was very sad to have to take out my captains chairs but a Sienna just isn't possible...one day.

I'm hoping the Radian will work well beside the Parkways. I've tried the Scenera beside and it is doable but I need something that harnesses higher which is why I'm going to go with the Radian. I'm just waiting to make sure I get one with the new stickers.

scatterbunny

Wow, I wasn't aware you could put two three-seater benches in a Caravan! Cool. :cool: How do you access the third row with a bench in the middle?

Jumanji

When I was originally shopping for my van I had come across one at the dealership that was an 8 seater. They had used a 50/50 split seat in the middle row which allowed better access. I was originally going to go that route but I figured since there would be car seats on it anyway I wouldn't be able to fold the seats anyways. There is enough room on either side of the bench for the kids to get through and I can lean over the seat to buckle them in. I was originally going to put the rearfacing kids in the back row but I find they like the middle much better because they can see the kids in the back row. Plus it's easier to get them in and out.

shirada

CozyCorner, your post has given me hope about my latest new idea for our GrandCaravan. :D

I have been lamenting the fact that I cannot fit three across in my van at the back, nor use the middle seat in the 2nd row, (the safest because it is a center seat), due to poor access to the 3rd row when a carseat is positioned there. Then, Eureka............the other day , I remembered that it is possible to move our third row bench to the 2nd row, thereby making it three across in the 2nd row which means more room either side. If you can fit 2 Eddie Bauers and a Scenera, then there is a small chance that I would be able to fit a Regent and 2 RA, (RF and FF) three across.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I'm so obsessed with car seats right now. I have a 2004 Grand Caravan.

I thought all 2004 and newer Grand Caravan's came with stow and go seating? :confused: Your seats look like they are on a track similar to my 2003 and older models?

We have the captains chairs in the back with the 50/50 split bench. I have to say that the 50/50 split bench makes it difficult to install some seats on because it has plastic bumps at the edge of the center of the seat. I can not get a good install with the Radian in the center position of my 50/50 split bench, so it's probably a good thing that you went without the 50/50 split. :)

Starlight

Senior Community Member
I don't know if it's just the angle, but it seems like the Scenera is really reclined.

Is it installed right?

Jumanji

It might be a little more reclined then normal because of the seats beside it and puzzling them together. Here is another angle. Does it look any different?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jumanji

I thought all 2004 and newer Grand Caravan's came with stow and go seating? :confused: Your seats look like they are on a track similar to my 2003 and older models?

We have the captains chairs in the back with the 50/50 split bench. I have to say that the 50/50 split bench makes it difficult to install some seats on because it has plastic bumps at the edge of the center of the seat. I can not get a good install with the Radian in the center position of my 50/50 split bench, so it's probably a good thing that you went without the 50/50 split. :)

That's very good to know. Now I'm kind of glad I didn't go the 50/50 route. I can get a very solid install with the Radian center on the bench.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Is the front facing 'foot' rotated out/down on the Scenera? I can't really tell if it looks too reclined, but that would be the way to make it more upright (the AO's have the same foot, but it's up/in for the RF installs of those).

Jumanji

Yes, the foot is out/down. I'll see if I can get a better picture of it when we go out later. I'll probably go pick up the Radian soon. I think I'm going to move the Scenera to the back and put the Radian between the EB's.

scatterbunny

Very cool that you can do a three-seater bench in the middle of a Caravan instead of the two-seater option.

I wonder if that's possible with my Windstar? Probably not. :(

Jumanji

In my van manual it talked about different seating configurations. You should have a look at your manual. I don't know if it works on vans that have fold-flat third row like MPV, Sienna, etc. No idea if you van has that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC