Nautilus on a plane -- with pics!

labdogs42

OK, we took the GN to Disney World last week. All in all, I'd say it was a good seat to travel with. It wasn't the easiest thing to carry, but I just let the straps out all the way and threw one over my shoulder and carried it like that. DH also found a way to hold on under the headrest and carry it that way, but I'm not sure I would have been tall enough to carry it that way comfortably. The seat installed easily on JetBlue's seats. It didn't leave enough room to put the armrest all the way down between his seat and mine, but that was OK, as we could share the GN's armrest! It also didn't allow for use of the seatback tray, but that wasn't a big deal either because of the convenient cupholder. The only problem with my GN is that DS doesn't really like the fabric. He keeps complaining about it being scratchy. I hope they come out with something softer soon! The seat also installed easily in our rental car (Dodge Caliber, used LATCH). Like I said, the seat performed well for a travel seat. It was really no more of a hassle than the Evenflo Triumph 5 that we used to travel with. Oh yeah, he seemed to have more leg room with this seat, too, but maybe that was just because we were on Jet Blue this time!

Here are the pictures:
250061771-M.jpg

250061778-M.jpg

all pugged in and ready to go!
250061789-M.jpg

and one before I fastened the straps just because it is cute! (of DS, maybe not so much of me!)
250061752-M.jpg

ETA, DS is 39" tall, 36 lbs. and almost 3yo. The straps are in the third slot from the bottom on the seat and the crotch strap is in the further out spot. I debated having the straps in the second slot, but I thought they were too low (just at his shoulders)

ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Glad it worked for you on the plane :thumbsup:

I wouldn't recommend carrying your seats by the harness and over your shoulder for future carrying times as you don't want to put added stress on your seat and harness.

crunchierthanthou

Looks great! thanks for sharing the pictures.

ps. I :love: jetblue. I recognized the seats before I even read what you wrote. :eek:

edit: I wouldn't worry too much about carrying it through the airport by the harness. I've done that myself a few times- usually be putting my arm through both of the harness straps. If I'm carrying it over my shoulder, I usually loop the tether and sling it like a duffle bag. Some seats have warnings about not carrying by the adjuster strap (which can cause fraying), but I think the occasional carrying by the harness isn't going to do too much damage. In fact, the Radian manual even lists it as an appropriate way to carry the seat.

Last edited:

labdogs42

I didn't actually carry it by the straps for very long. Glad to know it is OK to do that when necessary. We ended up toting it on the stroller for a while when DS wanted to walk and we also threw it on a luggage cart for much of the time, too. It really wasn't bad to travel with.

Kat_Momof3

it looks great!

It does seem that the headrest needs to be moved down, though... so the red guides are closer to the shoulders.

TerisBoys

it looks great!

It does seem that the headrest needs to be moved down, though... so the red guides are closer to the shoulders.

But it you look - the headrest is right even with the next harness slots - if she moves it down, won't it put slack in the harness?

labdogs42

it looks great!

I thought that, too, but I think it has to be in that position because of where I have the harness. If I move the harness down and the headrest down, the harness seems just even with his shoulders. Maybe I have to try that position again. The headrest does kind of seem to high to me. I'm not used to a seat with so many adjustments!

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I didn't actually carry it by the straps for very long. Glad to know it is OK to do that when necessary. We ended up toting it on the stroller for a while when DS wanted to walk and we also threw it on a luggage cart for much of the time, too. It really wasn't bad to travel with.

Check your manual. The majority that I've seen do *not* allow you to carry by the straps. The Radian is one exception that I know about, but they also have better alternatives than carrying by the harness.

I personally would *not* carry by the harness, but I also don't think it's going to cause immense stress just walking through the airport... unless you travel weekly. ;)

Either way, check your manual to be sure this is allowed for *your* seat. :)

Thanks for the pictures. They're great. :)

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Labdog42,

Do you mind me asking how heavy you think it is. It's good to know that the Nautilus can be used for air travel, as some seats like Radian and SafeGuard are okay for air travelling, but the sheer weight of them deter many of us from taking them for travelling.

crunchierthanthou

Check your manual. The majority that I've seen do *not* allow you to carry by the straps. The Radian is one exception that I know about, but they also have better alternatives than carrying by the harness.

Either way, check your manual to be sure this is allowed for *your* seat. :)

Not the OP, but I read the manual yesterday with this in mind. It doesn't address carrying it at all (whether to prohibit or allow any method). Like I mentioned above, most seats that I'm familiar with only prohibit carrying by the adjuster.

Kat_Momof3

I was also concerned about the harness thing... but I would play with the headrest and then try loosening and tightening the straps to see what comes about.

If you need to move them down until his shoulders are truly above the other slots, then that's what I'd do.

It just looks like his temples (the part of the side of the head one worries about with these things) are right at the red guides.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I'll just clarify myself a bit. I wouldn't recommend carrying seats like this, I wouldn't really worry about carrying the seat like this for this trip but I also wouldn't make it a habit of doing so whether or not the manual said something about it or not.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Labdog42,

Do you mind me asking how heavy you think it is. It's good to know that the Nautilus can be used for air travel, as some seats like Radian and SafeGuard are okay for air travelling, but the sheer weight of them deter many of us from taking them for travelling.

You can look on line.

My experience is limited - I've used MA's and have a Nautilus in my living room that I've installed a couple of times and tried different kids. I'd say the Nautilus is similar to an MA in both weight and bulk. Neither is a lightweight, low profile/compact seat.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
My dd's seat fits exactly like that too..there truly is nio better option. Her shoulder are like 1/8 inch abiove the next lowest slots, so she can't use them, she HAS to use the second from top slots....which are like 2 inches (minus 1/8 inch) above her shoulders. Which means the headrest HAS to be set above the second from top slots..and yes, it DOEs place the red belt guides right at temple-cracking level.
but there is no other option. you can't put the headrest down, covering the harness.
And she can't use the next set of slots down, because her shoulders are *just* over them.
this is actually a topic that was addressed/discussed a lto when the seat came out...I'm sure you could search for the threads.
Unfiortunately, that sort of disparity happens to some kids when they are just barely above a set of slots and so the harness has to be moved upo..it places the headrest REALLY high on their head, unless they have like a longer neck and bigger head, lol.

I wish it was something graco would addres..re-shaping the headrest so the soft part comes down further would solve the problem.

Andie

It just looks like his temples (the part of the side of the head one worries about with these things) are right at the red guides.

My dd's seat fits exactly like that too..there truly is nio better option. Her shoulder are like 1/8 inch abiove the next lowest slots, so she can't use them, she HAS to use the second from top slots....which are like 2 inches (minus 1/8 inch) above her shoulders. Which means the headrest HAS to be set above the second from top slots..and yes, it DOEs place the red belt guides right at temple-cracking level.
but there is no other option. you can't put the headrest down, covering the harness.
And she can't use the next set of slots down, because her shoulders are *just* over them.

:yeahthat:
If you look at the seat from the top you can't see the red guides. They are set back enough that they are not a safety concern, IMO. The seat fits my son like that too, I'm not worried about him hitting the guides. I'd be more worried about the way the harness works being hindered by it being covered. :twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC