My extra buckle

marjen

Does each side of the back seat fold down independently? I tried to look online...not much info, but if you fold down the right side (the left if you're looking at the picture) could that longer buckle stick out for use with the center seat belt? Since the other shorter buckles would be covered up.

ADS

Lenae

So I hopped on a Jeep forum, and one person answered with basically the same stuff in the thread posted by thepote. I'm going to call the Jeep dealership again tomorrow and just ask if they know anything about it, but at this point it seems legit. I don't want to make an unneccesary trip two towns over if I don't have to.

Lenae

Does each side of the back seat fold down independently? I tried to look online...not much info, but if you fold down the right side (the left if you're looking at the picture) could that longer buckle stick out for use with the center seat belt? Since the other shorter buckles would be covered up.

The passenger side seat flips down independently, the middle seat and drivers side seat flip together because it's all one seat. I don't exactly know what you mean.

crunchierthanthou

The passenger side seat flips down independently, the middle seat and drivers side seat flip together because it's all one seat. I don't exactly know what you mean.

I think she's saying the female end for the center seat that's on the rigid stalk would be buried if you have the passenger side portion folded.

marjen

I think she's saying the female end for the center seat that's on the rigid stalk would be buried if you have the passenger side portion folded.

Yes, that's what I'm saying (sorry if that was confusing :) ). If you fold down the passenger side of the back seat, but someone wants to ride in the center, their female end of their buckle would be covered up by the folded seat. So the longer buckle could extend past the folded seat to use with the center lap belt.

Lenae

Yes, that's what I'm saying (sorry if that was confusing :) ). If you fold down the passenger side of the back seat, but someone wants to ride in the center, their female end of their buckle would be covered up by the folded seat. So the longer buckle could extend past the folded seat to use with the center lap belt.

If you only flipped forward the seat bottom part, you could still access the female buckle for the center seat. If you fold down the backrest portion, all three buckles would be covered, even the 'extra' female end wouldn't reach out far enough from under the seat to be used.

marjen

If you only flipped forward the seat bottom part, you could still access the female buckle for the center seat. If you fold down the backrest portion, all three buckles would be covered, even the 'extra' female end wouldn't reach out far enough from under the seat to be used.

Ah, ok. Well, then I'm stumped too :)

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
but... but.... but.... Nnnoooo!!!!! alex and colton are birthday buddies. They are BABIES. no boosters. :eek:

Stop ruining my delusions!!!! ;):) they are babies. BAAAABIES.

brooklynsmommy

Could it be to top tether a car seat in the front seat using one of those buckle tether things listed in out top tether guide?

thepote

I saw the post about the Technical Service bulletin in the Jeep forum question. Looks like it was added so the passenger side seat could be folded and the center belt could still be buckled:

TSB number 669R DEC 96 Campaign - Rear Seat Belt Buckle Assembly

1993: Safety improvement campaign advises that center rear seat belt buckle may not be accessible for cargo stowage when right side of seatback is folded down.

I love a good mystery :cool:

thepote

From NHTSA:

Make: JEEP Model: GRAND CHEROKEE
Model Year: 1993
Manufacturer: CHRYSLER CORPORATION Mfr's Report Date:
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 96I004000 N/A
NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: SEAT BELTS:REAR

Summary:
THIS IS NOT A SAFETY RECALL IN ACCORDANCE WITH FEDERAL REGULATION 573. HOWEVER, IT IS DEEMED A SAFETY IMPROVEMENT CAMPAIGN BY THE AGENCY. THE CENTER REAR SEAT BELT BUCKLE MAY NOT BE ACCESSIBLE WHEN THE RIGHT (PASSENGER) SIDE OF THE REAR SEAT BACK IS FOLDED DOWN IN THE CARGO STOWAGE POSITION.
Consequence:
IN THE EVENT OF A COLLISION, THE OCCUPANT OF THE CENTER REAR SEAT MAY NOT BE PROPERLY RESTRAINED AND PERSONAL INJURY COULD OCCUR.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE SEAT BELT BUCKLE ASSEMBLY.
Notes:
NOTE: CHRYSLER HAS DECIDED TO CONDUCT A SAFETY IMPROVEMENT SERVICE CAMPAIGN TO REPLACE THE SEAT BELT BUCKLE ASSEMBLY WITHOUT CHARGE. OWNERS CAN CONTACT CHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403

Lenae

I saw the post about the Technical Service bulletin in the Jeep forum question. Looks like it was added so the passenger side seat could be folded and the center belt could still be buckled:

I love a good mystery :cool:

You are a super slueth! I don't think the fix was that good though, because I still couldn't pull the buckle from under the folded belt. Someone else up thread suggested that, so I gave it a try. Maybe I did it wrong, but I'm not usually and idiot, lol.

Lenae

but... but.... but.... Nnnoooo!!!!! alex and colton are birthday buddies. They are BABIES. no boosters. :eek:

Stop ruining my delusions!!!! ;):) they are babies. BAAAABIES.

Definitely still babies!! He's just a baby who can ride with my family in emergencies. :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC