Moving up harness

MamaErin

I was just curious how you know when it is time to move the harness height up? My LO is going to be 14 months this week and is almost 31 inches, I haven't measured his torso in a few weeks but it was close to 12 inches at that point. He is sort of in this awkward stage between harness heights in his MyRide 65. He is currently RF on the 2nd slot from the bottom but it is becoming difficult to buckle him, I have a hard time pulling the straps up on his shoulders and they seem like they push down into his shoulders, he often slouches in the seat because it looks like he is trying to keep them from pushing down on him and they seem to slip a lot but the next slot up is still above his shoulders by maybe 1/2 inch?

Last edited:
ADS

Jessica61624

Ate you still using the infant insert? If so try taking that out. Also some times the slot above looks like its too high but when you test it you find its actually perefct. I'd try it and post pictures!

MamaErin

No we aren't using the insert. We just got this seat for him when he turned 1 so we never had it in at all. My husband has the car today so the seat is actually sitting in my house, I think I might move them up while it's uninstalled anyway and see how they look when we go out tomorrow! I'll try to get some pictures then to make sure they don't look too high.

Stelvis

I'm not a tech, but I've made the parental decision in the past to move straps to the next slot if the lower slot was so low that it was causing straps to slide off shoulders, and if the higher slot was just a hair above, and if the kid still had a lot of shell above their head.

MamaErin

Thanks for the input Stelvis, that is what I was thinking. I know it's supposed to be "at or below" for RF but I figured there has to be some type of criteria that warrants moving up a slot even if it's a little above. With the straps slipping and pushing down on his shoulders it just doesn't seem safe or comfortable the way it is either but I wanted to make sure there wasn't any HUGE safety disadvantage if I move them up and they are a tiny bit above his shoulders.

Last edited:

MamaErin

Another quick question going with that....the loops in the back that go on the splitter plate...which slots do those go with? I can't find my manual right now, it is somewhere stored in my filing cabinet but right now he is on the 2nd from bottom slot and on the middle loop in the back....if I do move him to the 3rd slot, does he move up a loop in the back too?

Baylor

It really is best to keep manuals with seat. I keep mine in glove compartment or under seat.

The rule is at or below shoulders for rear facing.

You can look up your manual online usually at the manufacturers site.

MamaErin

Yea I know it would be best to have the manual with the seat at all times but we only have 1 seat that moves between 3 cars quite frequently so keeping the manual in a glove box doesn't help and I was scared it would get ruined attached to the seat. I have it stored somewhere safe I just can't dig through the file cabinet with my LO running around! When he goes down for a nap I will try to get to it!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC