Moving Truck Seating Question

U

Unregistered

Hubby and I will be moving from Michigan to Arizona next month along with our 5 children. Hubby will be driving the Uhaul and towing my minivan and my mother and I will be taking turns driving hubby's Chevy Blazer. With available seatbelts, I will need to put 3 of the children in the blazer with mother and I and two in the Uhaul with Hubby.

I was hoping for some guidance on who I should sit where for the trip. We have a 16 year old daughter, 14 year old son, 13 year old daughter, 8 year old son, and 3 year old daughter. Our 8 year old in in a blackless booster and our 3 year old is in a high back with a harness.

Which two should ride in the truck with hubby and which 3 should ride in hubby's car with mom and I.

cupcakepirate11

So why are you not towing the blazer and using the minivan everyone fits in? It seems like it would be the easiest and safest solution so the kids are not put in the truck in case the airbags go off.

Best of luck!

Brigala

I would send the 16 year old with the hubby to keep him company.

Which other child I would send depends on what type of seat belt it has in the center and whether the truck is equipped with airbags. Or, as Cupcake suggested, if it's at all possible to drive the mini van and tow the blazer, that would seem like a better solution. I assume you'd already thought of that, though, and there's some compelling reason why that isn't an option.

U

Unregistered

Hubby has requested a truck with 3 shoulder belts, but has been told it will be first come first serve. If one is available we can have it, if not we will have to take one with a lap belt in the center. We are renting the largest truck available. I believe it is 26 feet??? Not sure about airbags, but I would assume that the truck would have them. I would appreciate seating advice for all possibilities. I can have hubby find out about airbags if need be.

Our preference is to not move car seats from vehicle to vehicle during the trip.

Good question on driving the blazer. My minivan is starting to show it's age and hubby thinks the blazer is more dependable for the long drive. We are also hoping to be able to hang onto the minivan a little longer if we don't put theses miles on it. Hubby is afraid we could be asking for car trouble if we try to drive the minivan.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If there's a lap belt only in the center the only one who can safely sit there is the harnessed three year old. No boosters, no adults, no teens. Or no one sits there.

Wendy

Brigala

^ What Wendy said.

If there's a 3-point lap/shoulder belt, then I would send the oldest two with Dad. Put the 14 y.o. in the middle where he's less likely to be directly impacted in the event of an airbag deployment. A 14 year old should be able to handle an airbag, but it's less protective than it would be for an adult.

Nobody is very well protected by a lap belt only, so the harnessed child should go there if that's all you've got.

U

Unregistered

The blazer has shoulder belts by the windows in the back seat and a lap belt in the center position. If I can put both of the little ones in hubby's car, I will put the 3 year old in the center seat and the 8 year old behind the passenger seat so the passenger will be able to attend to them easier.

Does anyone have any tips for getting a Uhaul that has shoulder belts at all 3 positions? It sounds like that is going to be important since there is a lap belt in the back center of hubby's blazer.

I also noticed a poster mentioned that we should put my 14 year old in the middle seat of the Uhaul. Should we put the younger child or the smaller child in the middle? Our 14 year old son - hubbys son through a prior marriage - is taller and heavier than our 16 year old daughter - mine through a prior marriage. Just wondering if it makes any differance which child sits where in the truck.

Brigala

It probably doesn't make a huge difference, but unless they're uncomfortable sitting that way I would put the younger child in the center. Skeletal maturity / puberty is more important than actual passenger size when it comes to air bags, and I'd rather not see the 14 year old take a direct hit from the air bags if possible.

But, really, they're both over 13 so if he's just too tall to fit comfortably in the center, that's an important consideration, too. I wouldn't worry too much about the 14 year old in any position. Except driving. ;)

Honestly, if you can't get a Uhaul with 3 lap/shoulder belts in it, I would suggest you seriously consider having a nice fresh tune-up on that mini van and driving it. If it's so "on its last legs" that it can't make one road trip, it probably isn't going to last that long at your destination either. If you're all traveling together and it breaks down on the way, then in a pinch you can trade cars and tow the mini van the rest of the way - and you won't be any worse off than you would have been if you'd driven the Blazer in the first place.

U

Unregistered

I was wondering if there would be any inexpensive harness options for our 8 year old if it comes to that. He is around 47-48 inches tall and weighs around 60.5 pounds. I don't think he would be verry happy riding in one but trying to look at all options. I wouldn't want to spend a lot of money on one since he would probably never use it again after the move. If he were in a harness, I would want to use it in the middle of the truck and keep the 3 year old in the blazer with me and mom. Would he even be safe in the middle of the truck in a harness seat with dual airbags?

I was also wondering if it might be alright to have our 13 year old ride in the truck some as well. She is also hubby's from a prior mariage and is heavier than my 16 year old and only about an inch shorter. Based on the earlier post it sounds like she would need to ride in the middle if she rides in the truck. If she could ride in the truck, then we could put our 14 year old by the window with extra leg room and our 16 and 13 year olds could alternate between the middle seat in the truck and the blazer. I am just trying to find an arrangement that will be as comfortable as possible for the 3 teens.

If it is the 16 and 14 year olds in truck the entire trip, we will probably have them alternate who sits by the window and who sits in the middle each stop. I know our 14 year old will not be very comfortable riding in the middle and I hate to make our 16 year old sit there the entire trip.

Brigala

Would he even be safe in the middle of the truck in a harness seat with dual airbags?
Well, he'd be safer than anybody sitting there in just a lap belt. You might try sitting him in an Evenflo Secure Kid 300 to see if he fits with his shoulders below the top harness position. It would set you back a little over $100, though. But then again maybe it would make a good spare seat for your 3 year old?

Honestly, I think I'd feel OK with anybody over the age of 13 riding in any front seat position in the truck as long as they have a 3-point belt. I'd try to have the oldest kids in there most of the time, but I don't see any problem with rotating teenagers.

U

Unregistered

Our 8 year old's torso is just under 18 inches. Would the harness mentioned below work well for him? He weighs around 60.5 pounds.

After reading back through the posts below, I am thinking the best seating arrangements would be as follows:

If the truck has 3 shoulder belts:

In the Blazer - Put our 3 year old in the middle of the back seat in her harness; put our 8 year old behind the passenger seat in his backless booster; put our 13 year old behind the drivers seat.
In the truck - put our 14 year old in the passenger seat since he is tallest/heaviest and will need the extra legroom; put our 16 year old in the middle since she is shorter/smaller and can be get by with less space.
At lease one segment each day have our 16 and 13 year olds switch places so our 16 year old doesn't have to spend the whole time in the middle.

If the truck has a lap belt in the middle:

In the Blazer - Keep our 3 year in the middle of the back seat in her harness; put our 13 year old and either 14 or 16 year old on either side in the back seat.
In the Truck - Put our 8 year old in a harness seat in the middle; put either our 14 year old or 16 year old in the passenger seat.

Let me know if anyone feels like there would be a better/safer arrangement.

Brianna

That sounds like a good plan to me. It's possible that the 8 year old would fit in the SecureKid, the top harness slot is approx 18" tall. Car seats can gain or lose harness height when installed though, or even when installed in different positions in the same vehicle. The Evenflo Sureride has approx 19" tall top harness slots- it's more likely that he would fit in that in any vehicle. It's cheaper than the SecureKid but it doesn't convert to a booster later. It would make a great spare for the year old afterwards though. Both seats have a 65 pound weight limit for the harness.

Mommy!

It would make a great spare for the year old afterwards though. Both seats have a 65 pound weight limit for the harness.
Especially if your 3 yr old's current seat will expire soon; most children aren't ready for a booster until 5 or 6. So if her seat is due to expire before then, she could then move into the seat you buy for your 8 yr old for the trip.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the information. Looks like the SecureKid would be the way to go since it can accomidate a longer torso and since we already have a backless booster for my 8 year old. No sense in paying extra for one that can covert to something we don't need right now. All we would need is a harness solution and that is all our 3 year old would need for the near future as well.

I was also wondering, would it be ok to put of 8 year old in the middle seat of the truck if it has a shoulder belt in the middle position and airbags? Would it be better to keep him in the backseat of the blazer and just have the teens in the truck? My 16 year old acted like our 3 year old when I told her she will probably need to ride in the middle of the truck. Just wondering if putting our 8 year old there is a safe alternative or if that should be a last resort only if the truck has a lap belt in the middle and can't accomidate two of our teens. If the safest arrangement is the 8 year old in the backseat of the blazer and two teens in the truck, I have no problem telling my 16 year old to suck it up and deal with it. But if our 8 year old is just as safe in the middle of the truck as the back seat of the blazer, it might be the way to go.

Mommy!

If the truck has three full lap/shoulder belts I wouldn't put the 8 year old there. The oldest two teens IMO would be safe, but there's no reason to put a young child in front of an air bag if you can avoid it. Most vehicles have specific warning labels advising against having children under 13 up front for a reason. Now if the centre has a lap belt only then you have no other choice but to harness your 8 year old there, that's different.

U

Unregistered

Mommy!;2495581The oldest two teens IMO would be safe said:
Is it ok to have our 13 year old ride in the truck some? She turned 13 in January and is well above average height and weight for her age. She is almost as tall as my 16 year old and weighs more. Should we only put the two oldest in the truck and keep the 13 year old in the blazer?

cupcakepirate11

Again,

I still think using the minivan after a tune up will be your easiest option for you and the kids. If it breaks down you can switch it with the blazer and make it work. I think this is way more complicated than it needs to be

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ang.Rchrdsn

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Maxi Cosi is a proud sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2020 Carseat Media LLC