More trunk space in 03 expedition than 98?

sunnymommy

We have a 98 Expedition that I can not fit my stroller into behind the 3rd row. I have been reading that the 03-06 are an improved model with more room in the 3rd row amongst many other update. But, I can't find the info about whether the trunk also has more room or not. Anyone know?

We are needing to buy another vehicle, and I am so excited to see that the Expedition has all 8 shoulder belts back to 03. I didn't think I was gonna find that in something older we can afford. But, if I can't take my stroller than it's not gonna work! Any other 8 shoulder belt suvs under $10k?

ADS

ILoveMy3Boys

I have an 04. It is pretty small back there. What kind of stroller do you have? It's also kind of a weird angle back there. I was able to fit my Bob single back there but I had to remove one wheel.

sunnymommy

I have a Graco Ready to Grow Duo Stand and Ride Stroller which I LOVE. In our 98 Exp it fits lengthwise, and it fits on the floor widthwise. But, because the angle narrows as you go up it doesn't fit at the top. (Laying upride on it's side if that makes sense.)

I had to lay it across 2 seats in the second row bench and then having 8 seats was pointless because the stroller too up two of them!

ILoveMy3Boys

Yeah I'm not sure. It's worth playing around with though! I have a friend with one close to your year. I'll see if I can sneak a peak today our tomorrow.

jgomez411

I have an 04 as well and it's pretty tight. I can fit a Joovy Kooper behind the third row with no issues, but my Jeep Urban Terrain is a different story! I have to put the smaller side of the third row down and wedge it in there. I still had a Graco Stylus stroller when I bought the car and couldn't fit it behind but my Chicco Cortina would probably have fit as it was flatter folded up. HTH!

jess71903

Ambassador
I have an '05. We went with another family to Universal in Feb and got my City Elite with wheels removed, Ignite, and a slew of backbacks back there. It took some creative packing and someone in the 3rd row holding the stoller upright while someone else closed the hatch, but it worked. I can measure actual floor space for you and/or space between the top of the back seat and the door if you like.

Also, even though we have all shoulder belts, the center of the 3rd row does not have a headrest, and the center of the 2nd row just has a bump that really isn't tall enough for an adult (although my short mom rides there occasionally.)

sunnymommy

I have an '05. We went with another family to Universal in Feb and got my City Elite with wheels removed, Ignite, and a slew of backbacks back there. It took some creative packing and someone in the 3rd row holding the stoller upright while someone else closed the hatch, but it worked. I can measure actual floor space for you and/or space between the top of the back seat and the door if you like.

Also, even though we have all shoulder belts, the center of the 3rd row does not have a headrest, and the center of the 2nd row just has a bump that really isn't tall enough for an adult (although my short mom rides there occasionally.)

If you would measure
-from the trunk floor to the top of the back seat and
-from the top of the back seat to the window and
-from the bottom of the back seat to the edge
that would be so awesome!

jess71903

Ambassador
If you would measure
-from the trunk floor to the top of the back seat 23"
-from the top of the back seat to the window 12"
-from the bottom of the back seat to the edge 20"

All of those are to the best of my measuring ability, with the door closed. The floor to top of the back seat is measured perpendicular to the floor (not with the angle of the seat) and to the top of the seat back, not the headrest (which pushes all the way down into the seat, but raises above it).

sunnymommy

Thank you! That is 4 inches longer than mine! I've got 8" behind the top of the back seat and 16" behind the bottom of it... so there is hope my stroller might fit in those Expeditions :jive: Now I will have to find one around here.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC