Monterey needs vehicle support behind the headrest

bubbaray

I'm just *done* with SK/Diono now and this issue is the final straw for me. It really is. I am beyond frustrated.

I had a thread in the Canadian forum on this issue. There was a separate thread from this about frustration with Diono on the FB issue (ie., they shouldn't be posting stuff like this on FB), but I don't even know what happened to it.

I really do not think that *anything* anyone from Diono says on FB should be given any weight whatsoever. I really don't. And I absolutely do NOT agree that if an engineer or a zebra with purple stripes says a gap is now OK, that we should go with that. My Monterey manual is crystal clear that there must be NO gap and that is listed as "important". IMO, that trumps the whole headrestraint issue. ETA: and if they want to amend the manual, that is a recall issue IMO.

To say that the Monterey is "flimsy" is really a joke IMO. The Parkway is FAR flimsier -- it is lighter, flexes more, just not nearly as substantial a seat -- and it specifically says if the headrest causes a gap, remove the headrest.

I also find it amusing, particularly in the Canadian context, to be told that the sticker trumps the manual or is really important. There was discussion for years that height limits were really not important, even tho they were on the sticker -- that was discussed in the Canadian forum on many occasions. With respect to SK/Diono products, it is hilarious to talk about the stickers anyways, because they either fall off or fade long before the seat is expired. I actually can't even read the DOM sticker on my Monterey anymore, it is completely faded, so I have no clue when it expires.

In any event, I'm sick and tired of dealing with SK/Diono stuff. I'm tired of spending mental energy to "figure out" what should be spelled out for me in the manual.

I've removed the back from my Monterey and DD#1 is currently using it as a LBB in my vehicle. She is still in a HB PW in DH's truck. As soon as my crazy life calms down and I can find a pink LBB for my vehicle, that POC Monterey is coming out of my vehicle. I'm just done with them and their seats.

ADS

thepote

I just want to put my MBA hat on for a sec.

For those who are scratching their heads wondering what the heck is going on with this company, this is a taste of what is what is happening:

3-year growth:108%
2010 Revenue: $19.3 million
2007 Revenue:$9.3 million
Employees: 21
Employee growth: 4

They are growing like crazy. It's really hard for a company to keep their stuff together when that is happening. From what I can tell from what info is public (they are a private company) they have been focusing on hiring sales people at this point and not public relations people. You end up with customer service and marketing doing off-the-cuff public relations without any specific supervision of their activities.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
This issue doesn't make me lose faith in the company's products. I may take what they say with a grain of salt, and I may make some personal parental choices that may be more liberal or more conservative than what the company says is OK or Not OK because I know they're not quite sure what they're doing, but I'll still use their seats if their seats are what work best for me (and with the belt guide issue, the Monterey isn't one of them).

All this crap is no worse than stuff Dorel does all the time. I'm a lot more nervous about buying Dorel products than Diono products, but in some cases I'll still use and recommend Dorel products anyway. If it's the best tool for the job I'm not going to boycott it because of a grudge against the way a company employee handled something. Or even because of a mistake in the manual which has now been clarified (although I still think they should issue new manuals under a recall notice).

Just my 2¢. Obviously we each make these decisions for ourselves, and this is my position.

gigi

I don't think the problem is quality of product. The problem is you never know if you are using it properly, because every other week they are changing rules and not telling the public or just outright lying to people (we've never heard of that before...) or giving unsafe solutions off the cuff (duct tape) or blaming parents for not understanding.

MorgieBear'sMama

gigi said:
I don't think the problem is quality of product. The problem is you never know if you are using it properly, because every other week they are changing rules and not telling the public or just outright lying to people (we've never heard of that before...) or giving unsafe solutions off the cuff (duct tape) or blaming parents for not understanding.

This, and even though I love my so/diono seats I'm questioning HOW to use them correctly.

Ashley- Mom to Morgan 2/25/04 riding in SK Monterey and Clek Olli, Jackson and Colton 11/1/10 riding in Diono R120's and Recaro ProRIDE's

creideamh

Absolutely this. I, too, like my Radian in general, but the company throws me for a loop way too often.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC