Misuse pics (specifically DIY)

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm looking for some misuse pics, specifically in the DIY category - and I'm also looking for permission to use them in an article. Things like random places to attach a tether or latch hooks to, ratchet straps, blocks of wood instead of noodles, stuff like that.

The pic of the seat attached to the open flatbed of a truck comes to mind, or the gas can in the seat...but original pictures that you have permission to share or you took yourself.

If you have any, please share - I will blur out kids' faces if they aren't already. By posting pics in this thread you are giving permission for me to use them. I'm happy to credit you with the pics if you'd like. Thank you!

ADS

hedgefun

I could have some fun with this, but I'm in the middle of moving. When do you need them by? And do you want kids in the pics? Or can it just be a seat by itself with a "creative" installation?

ETA: I also have some really good ideas that I won't be able to execute due to lack of a sufficient # of children and types of vehicles... so others let me know if you want to "play" but need ideas.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
5126131189_a805e562dc_z.jpg

And not really a DIY misuse, I don't think, but this popped out of someone's car.

6078122999_0c1062ef20_z.jpg

Wendy

Pixelated

I could have some fun with this, but I'm in the middle of moving. When do you need them by? And do you want kids in the pics? Or can it just be a seat by itself with a "creative" installation?

ETA: I also have some really good ideas that I won't be able to execute due to lack of a sufficient # of children and types of vehicles... so others let me know if you want to "play" but need ideas.

In the next few days would be great! I suppose I could stage some myself, not sure why I didn't think of that! I'm not sure I could get as creative as some do though :eek: I would love to hear some creatively bad ideas.

Doesn't matter if kids are in the pics or not - preferably not, or I will just blur their faces I think.

birdflippin'

when do you need them by? Talking to my neigbour, she said her DH made a TT point with a tie down strap:eek: I've asked what year her vehicle is to get the part number (it's a late 90s chevy blazer)

hedgefun

I can probably stage some on Sunday since no kids are needed.

I'll post a list of my ridiculous ideas when I get off mobile and onto the computer.

tiggercat

There are some on the SEATS page, I am sure D would give permission to use the ones without kids.
I'll see if I can get creative later on.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

christineka

I have an aoe in my garage that's missing the bar in the back. I also can take the ancient, expired seat and recreate how it was used before it became mine. I also have a couple screwless turbos and could do three across with a couple armless turbos. Is this the kind of stuff you'd like?

Pixelated

I have an aoe in my garage that's missing the bar in the back. I also can take the ancient, expired seat and recreate how it was used before it became mine. I also have a couple screwless turbos and could do three across with a couple armless turbos. Is this the kind of stuff you'd like?

Yes please! See, I can't come up with this all on my own. I need real 'in the wild' misuse to really make it work!

canadiangie

A simple one to create is to take the harness straps off the splitter plate and then just tie the straps in a knot behind the seat. I've seen this more than once. The splitter plate is usually pulled right up to the cam lock, leaving a big long adjuster tail up front.

Another doozy is to take a locking clip, thread both harness straps onto it, and then pop the LC back into its storage spot. This was a Dorel 2/1 if it matters. Again just let the splitter plate lay on the seat, or pull the adjuster strap all the way so that the splitter plate is butted up to the cam.

C'est une awesome. ;)

Ellie173

I don't have a kid to do it with, but a common one I see with college aged sitters is clipping the latch straps in front of the child (tether goes over one shoulder and clips in with the 2 lower latch straps in front of the kid's belly) then putting the seatbelt over it. It sounds ridiculous but has happened. Just thought I would throw that out in case someone needs any ideas since I have seen it happen twice now with friends.

careynj

I didn't think to take a picture but the other day I saw my friend had the locking clip up at the top to stop the belt from retracting unstead of at the buckle. We switched to latch.

mommycat

My few:
1. a seat installed with a seatbelt and latch/tt straps in use, latch straps and tt all attached to the 3 TAs on the rear window shelf.
2. Place a foam kiddie armchair (Dora if you want to be exact) in the back seat and buckle it in. I hope to God that this seat was used to boost a small dog and not a child...
3. Scenera installed RF with the FF foot extended and IIRC it may have also been RF tethered to the front seat.
4. FF infant bucket.
5. Scenera that appeared to be being used as a booster.

jacqui276

Do you want misuse for how the kid is in the seat as well? such as chest cip too low, loose straps, etc. Or just install pics? I can throw my seats in my car and take a couple of pictures tonight or tomorrow that are done all wrong.

careynj

I can get a picture of my nephew in a backless booster in our pick up with short head rests if you'd like. ( he uses a PWSG)

longstocking

of course I've deleted the pictures off my computer. But I recently posted asking for advice on my install in a Suburban.
In this thread:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=223599&highlight=Suburban
A few pictures down is one from the back with the Maestro tethered to the wrong anchor (yes, those are cargo anchors but they are approved since you can't get tether anchors in a 1998) That's one that I did. Later learned I needed to buy a tether extension.
Man oh man I wish I still had the picture I took on my phone and sent to KQ - I was babysitting my sisters three kids and her seats were horrible. She had a seat that didn't have the seatbelt locked and the seatbelt was wrapped around the minivan armrest (idea for misuse!)

jacqui276

I took 2 but it is getting dark out so I may play around with my via tomorrow to do some bad installs if I have time.

Here is my Scenera RFing at the incorrect angle, latched from the FFing belt path, with the tether dangling behind instead of being secured to the back of the seat.

badseat1.jpg

This is my Scenera FFing with a loose seatbelt install with the foot tucked up so that it is reclined and not tethered (legally needs to be here)

badseat2.jpg

hedgefun

If Sunday isn't too late, I'll get you a GN somehow "secured" in the cargo area of my Forester, maybe with a combination of LATCH straps and bungees. I'll also try to rig something up using books, maybe to make the GN rear-face at an angle. Last one I'll try if it will work is GN installed outboard with seatbelt stretched over it, across the center, and into the buckle for the other outboard seat.

Other ideas that I can't execute:
1. A bunch of seats "installed" sideways, so that maybe 4 or 5 of them fit across one back seat (all seats facing same direction)
2. Kid sitting on a phone book with a seatbelt, car seat is securing a puppy or kitten carrier (my spin-off on the gas can incident)
3. Seriously reclined FF install with plywood underneath the seat (basically so the bottom of the seat has somewhere to sit. I'm envisioning a huge space between the seat bite and the edge of the seat. If anyone needs more of a visual, I can draw something up in paint and post it)
4. Seat installed in a back seat area with no seats (as in, the rear bench has been removed). Seat would somehow be "secured" to something random.
5. FF infant bucket with seatbelt strapped over it
6. HBB RF
7. Two seats in the back seat, next to each other, with 1 seatbelt bucked over both
8. Bouncey seat used as a car seat
9. Baby Bjorn used as a car seat... maybe by looping the seat belt through the inside (again, if anyone needs a visual, I'll draw something quickly and post)
10. Infant seat sideways with the seatbelt buckled over it

ETA: One more...
11. Seats installed on the floor boards in the back seat

ETA: And one more...
12. Seat wedged between two captains chairs in a van, secured to LATCH in the captains chairs on either side. I know nothing about mini vans, so this is assuming LATCH exists in those positions. If not, maybe tie it to the arm rests or something.

Last edited:

VoodooChile

Do you want misuse for how the kid is in the seat as well? such as chest cip too low, loose straps, etc. Or just install pics? I can throw my seats in my car and take a couple of pictures tonight or tomorrow that are done all wrong.

Oh yeah, I can get some pics of my kids in typical "Facebook carseat/booster" pictures. Super-loose harness with belly clip, dd "asleep" and leaning out of her booster, ds in dd's booster doing the same thing...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC