Minnesota mamas - donate expired seats!

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
oh wow! I thionk it's great they are including car seat safety in the parenting class!!!! What a great way to get it out there and introduce it to the kids, so it isn't new, and they have a more realistic idea of what it takes to have a kid.

Murphy's Law

I wonder what happens to the seats when they are done with them though. I would hope someone takes care to make sure they don't end up back in circulation.

flutie128

We had a class like that in mu high school. I think it was offered every year. My guess would be that they would continue to use the seats year after year but it is only a guess.

MaggieQ

Senior Community Member
I live in MN AND have 2 expired infant seats!! Yay for no landfills. I am also concerned as tho what they will do with them once they are done....

flutie128

I wonder if you could send the seat without the harness and write expired in sharpie on seat. I mean it is only for a doll and not a real infant. That way at least no one could use it again.

mominabigtruck

oh wow! I thionk it's great they are including car seat safety in the parenting class!!!! What a great way to get it out there and introduce it to the kids, so it isn't new, and they have a more realistic idea of what it takes to have a kid.

I don't think they include carseat safety in the class. We had the same thing at my school and I personally never took the class but they always used old carseats to carry their fake babies around. And really I fail to see how giving kids expired carseats, which I'm sure the majority of them will be pos 3pt evenflo ones, will help teach them about carseat safety.

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
I don't think they include carseat safety in the class. We had the same thing at my school and I personally never took the class but they always used old carseats to carry their fake babies around. And really I fail to see how giving kids expired carseats, which I'm sure the majority of them will be pos 3pt evenflo ones, will help teach them about carseat safety.

The class isn't to teach them about car seat safety. It's to show them what a PITA it is to have children! LOL

Having to buckle their baby doll into the car seat and lug that thing along with the diaper bag EVERYWHERE they go really can teach a lesson about the loss of freedom and spur-of-the-moment fun they are used to.

My understanding is that this program will continue to use these seats year after year. I wish I had a seat to donate, but I think I would choose to write with a sharpie directly on the harness and shell of the seat EXPIRED DO NOT USE so it didn't end up in unsuspecting hands.

And FWIW, a similar program at our local high school was actually planning on having me come in to teach the kids a little about strapping their dolls in correctly (simple things like harness tightness, chest clip, and rear-facing for infants), but the class was discontinued due to budget cuts before we had a chance to follow through.

I think it's good that these kids are at least getting a chance to get their hands on a car seat and see a little bit about how they work before they are faced with caring for a real child. My first interaction with a car seat was at 24 years old, babysitting for my nephew. I shudder to think of the mistakes I made with him, out of sheer ignorance!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC