Mild Cerebral Palsy - Car Seat Advice Needed

Ontario.CRT.Jennifer

CPST Instructor
Hi all,

I'm looking for ideas, advice, suggestions!

The child in question is in foster care and her foster mom is likely to be along here shortly - I've suggested she come here for advice - so please be sensitive in your remarks!

Here's the background:
-CANADA
-28 months old
-19 pounds 2 ounces
(Ontario's MINIMUM for ff'ing is 20 - but increasingly rare to find a seat that allows this - most are 22).
-child is not likely to reach 20 or even 22 ANY time soon. She has other complicating medical factors that restrict her nutrient absorption and therefore also her weight gain.
-mild CP, walks on knees, wears braces, and pulls self to stand, and can climb onto/off couch.
-child has EXCELLENT neck and head control (remember, she is over age 2).

I am a big proponent of ERF'ing (extended rear facing) and congratulate the foster mom for getting her to 28 months rear facing! HOWEVER, in this situation I don't think ERF'ing is gonna happen any longer. If it were me transporting the child, I'd be willing to ERF the child knowing that it is so much safer than FF'ing.

The child's medical professionals - Peds / OT / PT / Etc. (none are CRT/CPST's) desire and want her legs straight most/all of the time, including in the car. Foster mom knows that ERF'ing is best, but really wants to move child ff'ing, likely feeling pressure from the medical side to FF.

FWIW foster mom is a mature grandparent who finds it easier to put children in the car FF'ing - as it's not as awkward a lift into her van!

Child's height is ALL in the legs.

I've tried her ERF'ing in my complement of seats (Scenera, MyRide, and EFTA) and cannot achieve an install that allows child's legs to rest comfortably in a straight position. I've contemplated SN seats - like the Britax Hippo and could try her in this before purchasing if you think it is an option.

QUESTION:

The child does not meet the minimum criteria to ride FF'ing (weight). The medical professionals want her ff'ing for leg support (as silly as that sounds!).

IF, and only IF, the medical professional wrote a letter exempting the child from the legal requirements (or the child miraculously gains 3 pounds), would you, in this situation be comfortable having this child FF'ing?

Do you have other ideas to achieve a RF'ing install that is also supportive of her legs? (she's not "allowed" to bend them, cross them, or have them resting up the vehicle seat back.).

Thoughts on the Britax Hippo?

ADS

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Yes, RFing is safer.

However, this child is near the minimum 20 lbs and is over two. (If you weighed her with AFOs and shoes, she would most likely weigh over 20 lbs.). Personally, I'm a whole lot more comfortable having a long and lanky 20 lbs 2 year old ff than I am a chunky 18 month old.

In addition, the medical professionals want her legs straight + it will be physically difficult for foster parent to get child in/out of a RFing seat + none of the seats you have tried allow her long legs/braces to fit comfortably (AFO's are like ski boots - no flexibility and adding bulk to feet and ankles). I think FFing will be the solution.

While the Hippo has low sides to hip spica accommodate casts, it doesn't have a large seat pan to accommodate straight legs when in the rearfacing position. Also, according to Adaptive Mall, http://www.adaptivemall.com/hippocarseat.html, it is NOT approved for use outside the US.

It will also be challenging to find a way to support her straight legs in a vehicle.

henrietta

My oldest child has hypotonia. He found the Evenflo Triumph line to be the most comfortable. The EFTA has a lot of leg room, plus it can be in two different positions forward facing (fully upright and slightly reclined). It's fairly easy to adjust, due to the no rethread harness and the adjuster knobs. It's also an easy install. I don't know if it's available in Canada though. The Evenflo Symphony has similar features, and may provide more side support and head protection, esp forward facing.

The Britax line does NOT provide much leg support, so I don't think that would be ideal at all. The Learning Curve True Fit is similarly shaped to the Evenflos. The Radian may be a good fit, if it fits her car. There are Radian models w/headwings, and they are low profile seats, so easy for parents to load and unload. It also makes it easier to provide something for her legs to rest on, since the seat is lower. My son has a special "roll" that we use to support his legs. And I've noticed the Graco My Ride is super easy to open the crotch buckle, easy to install, and nicely reclined forward facing. Leg room looks good.

If I were looking again now, those are what I'd be looking at.

hths

henrietta

northernmommy

The EFTA is available here. I have never used one, so can't speak to it's appropriateness for this situation.

My concern would be that this child is all the more "fragile" due to her muscle issues. If at all possible, I'd find any way possible to continue to RF her. Are her legs being held straight by braces, or is she supposed to keep them straight herself? If they're in braces, a RF RN might be a good choice. It's a really low profile seat, which often makes it an ideal seat for kids in casts/braces.

If she absolutely MUST be FF, I'd go with a RN for the SafeStop feature. It would have the added benefit of being lower profile, making it easier for the foster mom to get her into the seat.

Ontario.CRT.Jennifer

CPST Instructor
A few answers to your questions .....

-tried out the EFTA already, RF leg room was an issue.

-lots of leg room FF'ing, it's a brand new mini-van; model/make escapes me at the moment.

-child wears braces which keeps her legs straight; which the medical community want supported.

-sorry for the VERY lengthy original post! Your help and suggestions have been appreciated. Keep them coming.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC