Middle row of Mazda 5- is there a clip system?

mum2two

On another board someone asked a parent how they fit 3 car seats in the 2nd row of a Mazda 5, the dad explained that there is a clip system and he used the latch connectors for the infant seat in the middle. The outboard positions used the seatbelt.

Is this possible? Or is he borrowing latch connectors and just calling it a "clip system?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
There is no middle seat in a Mazda5 in the US. It's three rows of two.

Are they in Europe? That version does have a seven seater option.

Wendy

mum2two

Nope here in the US.

The mom noticed the 3 kids in the 2nd row leaving preschool and knew that there were only two seats back there. She mentioned it to the preschool and then the dad/owner of the car explained it to the mom. He seemed fine/wasn't mad explaining it and told her it was the clip system.

Other posters on the board have asked if it's an imported car too.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It simply must be as there's no option to do a third seat in that row in the US (I asked if I could buy the seat from Europe and simply install it here and they said that the rows were fundamentally different). Not sure if Canada has the seven seater option. But it's not a US vehicle.

The "clip system" would be LATCH, I would imagine. It's labeled ISOFIX in the Mazda5.

Wendy

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
so they are putting the infant seat on the floor of the vehicle then using the latch connectins from the outboard seats?

I can't see that fitting. Either with a LATCH strap long enough, or the width of an infant seat going between them. It's not that wide.

Wendy

vangelder03

I can't see that fitting. Either with a LATCH strap long enough, or the width of an infant seat going between them. It's not that wide.

Wendy
then the only thing i can think of is that it's the third row bench and they are putting baby seat in the middle and using a latch connecter from each side
and i would think since back row is a 2 seater that would not be safe

amyd

My 5 has a center console between the captain's chairs. Maybe he's got a seat on there, hooked into the inside LATCH anchors. The Canadian version is the same as the US...6 seater.

amyd

vangelder03 said:
then the only thing i can think of is that it's the third row bench and they are putting baby seat in the middle and using a latch connecter from each side
and i would think since back row is a 2 seater that would not be safe

There's no third row LATCH.

amyd

Just for kicks, I ran out to the garage and attempted to shove a Snugride 22 between the 2 Radians I have in my second row. It didn't fit, but I bet with a narrower seat and sliding the Radians closer to the doors (they're in with UAS/LATCH), it could be done. I don't think this is exactly what Mazda was envisioning when they said you could borrow the inner anchors for a center install (just to clarify, that wasn't said about this vehicle of course, but some Mazdas allow borrowing).

MorgieBear'sMama

Can you push the two seats together to make a bench the way I do in my MPV? Maybe dad is doing that and using LATCH from the two to make his own make shift center seat :confused:

amyd

MorgieBear'sMama said:
Can you push the two seats together to make a bench the way I do in my MPV? Maybe dad is doing that and using LATCH from the two to make his own make shift center seat :confused:

No, you can't.

tiggercat

Can you ask them to ask the parent for a picture? I can't see this working unless the middle child restraint is just floating.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

mum2two

The OP on the other board is reluctant to ask again, she feels at this point that the parent explained it to her and that further questioning would not be appropriate.

I suggested she stalk the CAR- not the person- just to get a look at the setup as she has peaked a lot of people's curiosity.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shushua

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC