Merritt Roosevelt

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Anyone have any more info on this company and the development of the seat?

I finally took the time to review the online instructions and was pretty impressed that

http://www.eztether.com/PDFs/Instructions_for_The_Roosevelt.pdf

1) They state they worked with Riley Children's Hospital to develop the seat
2) Have pretty good pictures of installation
3) Have good pictures of 3 types of seat belt
4) Encourage users to contact a tech - and cites a couple websites to do so.

I can't say I've seen features 2-4 in other manals I've read. . .Makes me wonder if they'd be willing to share their writing staff.

ADS

Leila

I own this seat and love it...ok, my son loves it, lol!! Your best source for information is definitely the company. I bought Debug's seat in October, but had been in contact with Shayne Merritt for several months prior. Any question I asked, no matter how important, he responded to quickly and thoroughly. He's very passionate about what he does!

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Tyler (LCMOM's son) is 9 yrs, 54" tall, 18.75" torso height. Here are pics of him in the seat. His is coming nect week!
MerrittRoosevelt9.jpg

MerrittRoosevelt2.jpg

perltea

To those of you who have the Roosevelt, are your kids special-needs? Or did you want to harness to the max possible?

Leila

In our case, it's a bit of both. D has Asperger's Syndrome, and while he's legally at an appropriate height/weight/age for a booster seat, he's simply not ready for one based on maturity/ability to sit still/properly for even a short car ride. With a torso height of 18" and weighing 70lbs, he's too big for most other HWH seats. We ruled out the Regent because of the changes in installation and the lower harness slots...D's all torso, so we really needed that extra 2¼" in height that the Roosevelt gives us. Since one of his meds causes some weight gain too, the higher weight limit really appealed to us too. In the long run, he needed the seat AND I wanted him harnessed longer even if he could use a booster.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I am sure LCMOM will come on and post? She got one to keep Tyler harnesses as long as possible. When he is in a booster, he is freaked out. She can go into the rest.

LCMOM

Senior Community Member
Here I am ;-) We get ours tomorrow, I hope... it is in transit. Shayne is AWESOME; he has been an engineer (?) for Britax, and is a tech and I think an instructor himself. He is very responsive and good to work with, as well as being passionate about this work... Tyler has High Functioning Autism, as well as other issues (quit counting at diagnosis 26 or so) and his sensory issues really make him scared in a booster; he likes the pressure of a 5 point harness. He also has a history of some seizures, so I want him harnessed just in case.... so I am in the same boat with Leila; it is a bit of both. Can't WAIT to get my hands on his seat; it really impressed me at Lifesavers!

TerisBoys

Here I am ;-) We get ours tomorrow, I hope... it is in transit. Shayne is AWESOME; he has been an engineer (?) for Britax, and is a tech and I think an instructor himself. He is very responsive and good to work with, as well as being passionate about this work... Tyler has High Functioning Autism, as well as other issues (quit counting at diagnosis 26 or so) and his sensory issues really make him scared in a booster; he likes the pressure of a 5 point harness. He also has a history of some seizures, so I want him harnessed just in case.... so I am in the same boat with Leila; it is a bit of both. Can't WAIT to get my hands on his seat; it really impressed me at Lifesavers!

De-railling a bit, but... I love the Harry Potter look with the glasses down the nose! My oldest wears his the same way - says they bug him up high where they're supposed to be (Josh has Asperger's).

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I will be starting a new thread tonight about the Roosevelt install. I am on my lunch right now, and spent it with Esther and the Roosevelt!

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
My friend that runs our local coalition works at Children's here and didn't have enough nice things to say about this seat and Shayne himself. She said the seat is great and Shayne really listens to what the techs and therapists say about it and he works on fixing the things that are mentioned. I think she said there is a hat that the child can wear that velcros their head back in case head control is an issue, but child is too big to rf. I thought that was neat. This seems like a GREAT seat, but definitely not something I'd look into w/ need b/c of the price. The hospital here tries to keep kids in 'normal' seats for as long as possible since $ is a HUGE factor in most cases and seats can only be used for so long.

cadensmommy

Senior Community Member
I went to a in service with Shane and learned about this seat. he is a wonderful guy and very passionate about this seat and his work! its a great seat too!

Clarissa

Leila

Judi posted in another thread that the seat sells for $550. The price listed on the site includes the markup for retail.

The base of the Roosevelt is quite a bit wider than the Radian, I can't give you an exact number though as I've loaned my Radian to a friend. According to the Britax site, the Roosevelt is ¾" wider at the base than the Regent.

LCMOM

Senior Community Member
Yes and no; we got ours yesterday (YIPPEEEEEE!!!!!) and it seems (no measurements, so I may be wrong) slimmer than the Regent; it is CERTAINLY a MUCH easier install!!!! I had it in SOLID in only about 3-4 minutes w/ long belt path; DS says he LOVES riding in it and that it is much more comfortable than the regent, even though it LOOKS like less shoulder room.... LOVING the seat; my only critique is the tether is a bit shorter than the Regent one. It is TALLER, and DS who is at the end in the Regent has about 4" to go in the Roosevelt.

MsFacetious

I may end up looking into this once my girls outgrow their Regents, depending on their situation at the time. Right now I think they would be alright to go to boosters at that point, but I have kept this in mind just in case.

It definitely looks like a fabulous seat and I LOVE how tall the harness slots are. That's my biggest complaint about all of the "regular" seats. They just aren't tall enough harness slots to last as long as I'd like.

Congratulations LCMOM on the new seat. Looking forward to some pictures!

LCMOM

Senior Community Member
The seat DOES have the velcro hat, though we did not need it for Tyler. There is also a positioning pommel available for kids who need it, and there are seat extenders available for kids who need a deeper seat; I am hoping Tyler lasts long enough in the seat to need one!! The seat is based on a 50th %ile 14 year old for maximum size...I am thrilled with it, and so is Tyler; he wrote his school journal about it today :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC