Low profile or high profile?

jennzee

We're still a few months away from needing to purchase a new seat for DD2, but I want to start mulling it over in my mind. It will need to fit RF'ing in the +1 seat of the Odyssey. Next to it will be a backless booster and a KeyFit (and then eventually a CCO). Considering that I'll be reaching over either the KeyFit base or the CCO to load the middle seat child in, am I going to want to look for something with a lower profile, or something that sits up a bit higher? I'm guessing that higher will be easier to reach, but is there anything else I should consider?

I've read through the thread of seats that are compatible with that +1 seat, but it's been a long enough time since I've really researched seats to have a very good idea of what the profiles of those seats are, or how they'll puzzle with the seats next to them (which I'm not terribly concerned about, given the ability to use the Odyssey's wide mode).

ADS

sunnymw

I... oy. Keyfit in the middle.

In general, after owning Radians, Britax, EFTA, and a Foonf.... low profile. Lord have mercy, low profile. Korah still fits rear-facing in the foonf, but I am so over making her a pretzel to cram her in there.... when my 8yo still was easy to load into a RF Radian at age 5.

jennzee

For purely lazy reasons, I don't want the keyfit in the center. The booster seat has to be on the passenger side for school drop-off/pick-up, and I can't fit the keyfit over the CCO (or, likely, any other convertible) to get it to the center....which means I'd have to walk around to the passenger side to load every time we go somewhere. Inconvenient in the best of times, but while trying to load a toddler on the driver's side too...just don't want to go there.

We had initially thought we'd go with another Radian, but it sounds like they simply don't install well in that +1 seat. Plus, I worried about being able to easily tighten that ratcheting strap (do they still tighten that way?). But, like you said, I also hear plenty of complaints about getting kids in and out of some of those higher profile seats...I definitely don't want it to be a battle just getting her in, let alone reaching over high sides to tighten.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC