Lots of Questions...

EzzieMom

Okay. My Dh HARDLEY EVER has the kids with him in his car but one those very few occasions I would like for my kids to be safe.
My DD#1 is in a Radian65 and my DD#2 is ERFing in a Cosco Scenera (sp?) while in MY car (which is where they are mostly)

I had this booster as a back up for in my Dh's car and realize it's WAY out of date (I'm pretty sure it was those kind that use to have a shield of some sort on it) and only used maybe 3 times (before I became educated on carseats). Our neighbor gave it to us and said he was "saving it for his g-daughter" I'm actually happy we took it bc then we were able to save his g-daughter from ever having to ride in this! LOL!
Here it is:
http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa46/EzzieMom/?action=view&current=carseat2018.jpg
I want to destroy it but I'm not sure how. How do y'all destroy carseats??

Here is her new booster to ride in while in Dh's car. I just bought it last night. I registered it and everything:D It's a Cosco TurboBooster:
http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa46/EzzieMom/?action=view&current=carseat2013.jpg

Now for my DD#2 I have this. It was my DD#1's carseat (it has a 2/29/2004 manufacture date) before and I passed it down to DD#2since it's not exp. and she seems to fit in it fine. It's made by Dorel. It's a 5 point harness that can also be used as a HB booster:
http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa46/EzzieMom/?action=view&current=carseat2010.jpg
don't let the picture fool you, the straps aren't twisted;) I also checked with Dorel's website and it seems this carseat isn't affected by the recall.

I've never used it as a booster bc I've never been able to figure out the seatbelt guides on the side...this is how I have them. Is this right? I know she's nowhere near being ready to use it as a booster and probably by time she is I'll have a newer booster (and this one will probably be exp. anyway) but I'm just curious.
http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa46/EzzieMom/?action=view&current=carseat2012.jpg
http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa46/EzzieMom/?action=view&current=carseat2011.jpg

I lost the instruction manual somewhere in our move (last year) and don't have the tether for it either. I'm calling Dorel tomorrow and asking for a replacemnt instruction manual and a new tether.
Until then I will not be letting my Dh drive my kids around, at least not DD#2.
ETA: Both will be in a Isuzu Rodeo 1998. No LATCH, just seatbelts (the seatbelts have adjusters on the side...you can push a button and bring the seatbelt down so it's not hitting you or whoever on the neck or face. I like it a lot, my DD#1 seems more comfortable) . Not sure what kind of seatbelts. Dh is gone, when he gets back I'll check the car manual.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts/advice:)

ADS

crunchierthanthou

To destroy seats I remove the cover, write "do not use" all over the base in permanent marker and throw the cover and base away in separate trash bags.

Does your dh's vehicle have headrests in the back seat? You'll need them with that Graco backless booster that you got.

I don't know about the seat belt guides for booster mode, but that seat is ff only. Are you ready to turn dd#2 around? I know it's just a sometimes thing, but crashes still happen in back-up situations. :twocents:

EzzieMom

To destroy seats I remove the cover, write "do not use" all over the base in permanent marker and throw the cover and base away in separate trash bags.

Does your dh's vehicle have headrests in the back seat? You'll need them with that Graco backless booster that you got.

I don't know about the seat belt guides for booster mode, but that seat is ff only. Are you ready to turn dd#2 around? I know it's just a sometimes thing, but crashes still happen in back-up situations. :twocents:

Well, she was FFing for a little while:whistle: until I found out about ERFing:D. Altho it was convient to get her in and out, I never felt that safe with her FFing. She's very small framed. I could buy another Cosco Scenera for Dh's car. They're cheap enough:thumbsup:
Ya know...you've got me thinking... I think that's a good idea anyway. Bc my MIL takes the kids sometimes and she has a OHS 3point harness for my DD#2. The manufacture date is still good on it but I just don't feel safe with my DD#2 in it. My DD#1 is in a backless booster when she's with her but I have no idea if she has headrest. I REALLY need to find this stuff out! (I just called my MIL....she DOES NOT have headrest in the backseats of her car! This means my DD#1 has to be in a HB booster when she's with her, right??)

Thanks for idea about destroying the car seat. I will do that.

Yeah, my Dh's car has headrests in the back. I was thinking about that too and got worried for a minute...but then I remembered he did have them! Phew!

So I need to get a HBB for in my MIL's car and a scenera to use in my Dh's and MIL's car? Is that right?

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Well, she was FFing for a little while:whistle: until I found out about ERFing:D. Altho it was convient to get her in and out, I never felt that safe with her FFing. She's very small framed. I could buy another Cosco Scenera for Dh's car. They're cheap enough:thumbsup:
Ya know...you've got me thinking... I think that's a good idea anyway. Bc my MIL takes the kids sometimes and she has a OHS 3point harness for my DD#2. The manufacture date is still good on it but I just don't feel safe with my DD#2 in it. My DD#1 is in a backless booster when she's with her but I have no idea if she has headrest. I REALLY need to find this stuff out! (I just called my MIL....she DOES NOT have headrest in the backseats of her car! This means my DD#1 has to be in a HB booster when she's with her, right??)

Thanks for idea about destroying the car seat. I will do that.

Yeah, my Dh's car has headrests in the back. I was thinking about that too and got worried for a minute...but then I remembered he did have them! Phew!

So I need to get a HBB for in my MIL's car and a scenera to use in my Dh's and MIL's car? Is that right?

YEs I would get a HBB for DD1 and any harnessed seat that works for you for DD2 in MIL's car.

crunchierthanthou

Even with headrests, I'd use a HBB in both. They offer some degree of SIP and will give dd#1 something to lean against. She's probably used to that since she still harnessed in your car.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Hold everything! I just had an idea!!! Duh!!! :doh:
Couldn't I just get a Cosco Scenera for my DD#2 to use in my Dh's and MIL's car and then use this:
http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa46/EzzieMom/?action=view&current=carseat2010.jpg in the booster setting for DD#1 for while she rides with my MIL??

I personally feel extremely uncomfortable using that seat as a booster...it causes the lapbelt to ride too high on the belly, and fits virtually no kid properly on the shoulder :( Check it out here where it's cousin is used as the 'poor fit' model... http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/child_restraints/default.html
Either find a cheap highback Turbo (don't forget to screw the armrests on ;), or if you can splurge, get a Britax Parkway, which even booster novices find easy to use properly (no armrests to wonder where the seatbelt goes) and it offers great side impact protection. The Compass B510 (premiere, not the B505 or 500 or 507, which offer very little side impact protection) is also a great choice, and $79 at a few stores lately (and folds when not in use!)

:)

EzzieMom

Even with headrests, I'd use a HBB in both. They offer some degree of SIP and will give dd#1 something to lean against. She's probably used to that since she still harnessed in your car.

That's true! It would give her something to lean against.
So, tell me if I got this right....it's okay to use a HBB in a car that has headrest? But it's NOT okay to use a Backless booster in a car that doesn't have headrest? Right? I'm so happy to be figuring this all out!
Thanks guys!

crunchierthanthou

That's true! It would give her something to lean against.
So, tell me if I got this right....it's okay to use a HBB in a car that has headrest? But it's NOT okay to use a Backless booster in a car that doesn't have headrest? Right? I'm so happy to be figuring this all out!
Thanks guys!

:thumbsup: you can remove the headrest if it interferes with the HBB. Just make sure you remember where you store it because really, adults shouldn't be riding in seats without headrests either. (speaking from experience as someone whose rear headrests have disappeared :eek:)

EzzieMom

I personally feel extremely uncomfortable using that seat as a booster...it causes the lapbelt to ride too high on the belly, and fits virtually no kid properly on the shoulder :( Check it out here where it's cousin is used as the 'poor fit' model... http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/child_restraints/default.html
Either find a cheap highback Turbo (don't forget to screw the armrests on ;), or if you can splurge, get a Britax Parkway, which even booster novices find easy to use properly (no armrests to wonder where the seatbelt goes) and it offers great side impact protection. The Compass B510 (premiere, not the B505 or 500 or 507, which offer very little side impact protection) is also a great choice, and $79 at a few stores lately (and folds when not in use!)

:)

ITA! It looks hard to get the right belt path. Thanks for the link.
I went out to Target looking for the TurboHBB but they were sold out:( So I got the Evenflo Big Kid Booster seat. It's pretty cool. It's a HBB and you can adjust the height and even make it a backless booster when your kid gets older.
She likes it and it makes me feel better that she's going to be in a HBB while in my MIL's car.
Now I've got to get a 5 point that RF's (like a Scenera) for Dh's and Mil's car...or I may use the FFing 5 point just for those few occasions. It depends. It looks like this whole carseat obsession of mine can get expensive! LOL!
Here she is in it. Does it look okay? I can adjust the head part, does it need to be lower? It says the bottom of the belt guides need to be even with the tops of her shoulders. Maybe I need to bring it down some? She's just so wiggly! Hard to see.
carseat3008.jpg

Here's closer up:
carseat3006.jpg

What do y'all think??

EzzieMom

:thumbsup: you can remove the headrest if it interferes with the HBB. Just make sure you remember where you store it because really, adults shouldn't be riding in seats without headrests either. (speaking from experience as someone whose rear headrests have disappeared :eek:)

LOL!! Will do! Thanks!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Does it look okay? I can adjust the head part, does it need to be lower? It says the bottom of the belt guides need to be even with the tops of her shoulders. Maybe I need to bring it down some? She's just so wiggly! Hard to see.

She's a beautiful little girl! As for the height of the booster back, I'd check it in the vehicle so that you can compare whether it fits best the way you have it now or lower - it's hard to tell without the seat belt sometimes. :)

EzzieMom

She's a beautiful little girl! As for the height of the booster back, I'd check it in the vehicle so that you can compare whether it fits best the way you have it now or lower - it's hard to tell without the seat belt sometimes. :)

I'll take it out tomorrow to Dh's car and take pictures.
I wonder why they sell backless boosters when HBB are safer? And you can only use a backless booster in cars with headrest...so to take out the confusion and possiblity of someone not knowing that, why don't they only sell HBB?
Oh! It just came to me....maybe for a kid who was embarassed about being in a carseat...a backless booster would be less noticable.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I wonder why they sell backless boosters when HBB are safer?

It's also so kids can keep using the booster when they're too tall for the back. Not all kids can fit safely in the vehicle seat belt even when they're too tall for a HBB.

EzzieMom

It's also so kids can keep using the booster when they're too tall for the back. Not all kids can fit safely in the vehicle seat belt even when they're too tall for a HBB.

Oh yeah! I forgot about that! Duh! :eek:
Okay, a question. Should a kid be in a HBB until they out grow it and then move into a backless booster? I mean, is that the safest way to go? (I know a 5 point harness is the safest...but I mean just in terms of boosters)

EzzieMom

OMG she is sooooo cute! My DD would love her shirt. She is really into camo right now, and of course anything pink:rolleyes:

She LOVES camo right now too. She has a pair of camo shorts, a pair of camo pants, a pair of camo shoes and then this tank top. The tank top actually has another dark pink tank top that supposed to go under the camo one. But she likes to wear it seperate sometimes. Very picky little thing, she is!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC