Looking for answers...

Rebekah

Ok, I am not SN certified and have no experience with any special needs, but I am having a hard time contacting area techs who are. I have a friend whose son has severe cerebral palsy and recently had hip surgery and was given a Hippo to use until the long-leg broomstick cast comes off. He is 15-months old, but about the size of a typical 9 mo. I don't know exact stats. He has little/no head control, no trunk control, etc. They were looking at ordering a Hippo, but are worried that the 35 lb RF limit might not be the best option. He shouldn't need the openness that the Hippo has once the casts comes off, so my questions are 1) which regularly available seats (if any) might be good options for them to look at, 2) if not a regularly available seat, are there any SN seats that might last them longer RF, 3) will insurance cover a non-SN as they would a SN seat? I don't want to overstep my certification, but also don't want them to go with a less-ideal option just because of unanswered voicemails. TIA

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
What specific car seat related challenges does your friend expect to have once her son is out of the cast?

If she needs something that might be able to accommodate future casts, or that would be easy to lift him over, the low sides of a Radian might do the trick. In addition, the headrest should provide good head support.

If she's more concerned about the lack of trunk control, I recall that Shaunam really liked the deep sides of a MyRide for her DD Charlie, who also has CP and (I believe) low/no trunk control.

Rebekah

Even they aren't too sure what the future will hold for him, or what might be a bigger problem down the road. He does okay sitting (like in swings, bouncers, Nap Nanny, etc.) I was also thinking the Radian for the same reasons. I would think that ERF would be even more beneficial for a child with his issues, but like I said, I have no clue at all. I am worried that their insurance will buy an expensive SN seat that will be outgrown more quickly than something like the Radian. I was amazed to see that it only had a 35lb. RF limit, especially considering that 35lbs would include a cast which any kid using a Hippo would likely have because that is what it was designed for. I will keep calling our local SN techs tomorrow and hope that I finally get a hold of one.

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
You are correct that RF is especially beneficial for any child with special physical needs such as low tone, CP, etc.

When it comes to insurance paying for a seat, they generally require the seat to be purchased through a DME (durable medical equipment) provider. They also may not pay for a seat if a "traditional" seat will meet the child's needs. It's best if you can get a SN tech and an OT/PT together to explain to the insurance company what positioning needs the child has (safety reasons won't get you a seat apparently) and how the specific seat you have in mind will be beneficial for the child and meet those needs.

When it comes to the SN world, the Hippo is about it for RF. There are car beds, harnesses, FF seats, etc. but the Hippo is the only convertible. Perhaps this is because so many parents turned FF at 1 and by the time RF started to take the forefront, there were other traditional seats that work well with SN kids. (SN only restraints aren't really a big money maker.)

I do think the Radian would probably work well. Even if he needs more support laterally, that could likely be added outside the harness, and it would still RF a long time and possibly accommodate casts in the future.

If insurance won't pay for a Radian, though, perhaps you could help the friend pursue funding elsewhere through Shriners, Rotary, a hospital foundation, etc.

jess71903

Ambassador
Not a SN tech at all, but I believe the My ride is well liked for good support for SN kiddos. It has a nice natural recline for FF, too, so when the time comes, he won't have to be bolt upright. I believe Shaunum's Charlie is FF in a Recaro Euro right now.

Rebekah

One of the SN tech-I's called me back today. She said that the Hippo probably isn't the best option since it is really only needed with a casted child, and also recommended the Radian. She offered to talk with the PT and mom to figured out the best option. I then called the mom and she called the DME person, and it turns out that it isn't a Hippo that they were ordering but she didn't know which seat they were ordering. She is going to check it out next week. She is also going to talk to the PT about all of this next time they go. Thanks for all of your help, and I will probably be back with more questions. I just need to go get SN certified!

kelkel2090

CPST Instructor
I've been participating in SN Evals with our hospital CPST/PT for about four months now and just got special needs trained at Riley hospital for Children (who wrote the curriculum) and it was awesome. If you can make it to Riley at all (as opposed to one of the satellites) I would strongly encourage it.

Rebekah

How long do you have to be a tech, or what experience is needed before SN certification? I've only been a tech since April of this year, and haven't checked but a couple of seats, so I wouldn't feel comfortable actually doing it yet even if I could, but I would love to in the future. Where are Riley Hospital for Children and the satellites? I am in SC for now.

Suzibeck

I've been participating in SN Evals with our hospital CPST/PT for about four months now and just got special needs trained at Riley hospital for Children (who wrote the curriculum) and it was awesome. If you can make it to Riley at all (as opposed to one of the satellites) I would strongly encourage it.

This is great! I want to someday get SN certified but I have no time now. Good to know I can call you!

vlswager

I'm not a tech but I have a little one with CP. We use a MR65 and an Evenflo Symphony 65. The MR will last her much longer as she is 21 months and on the first slot still (without the infant insert) and it goes to 40lbs RF as the Symphony only goes to 35lbs. We use the Symphony as our main seat since it has more padding.

She will be able to RF in the Symphony I would say until at least 3.5(my oldest outgrew it RF just b4 3 but she's on the opposite end of the charts as her sister) but will be able to RF in the MR until at least 4, maybe 5 since she's so tiny( oldest barely still fits RF in the MR and she'll be 4 in Oct).

The only issues I have with both of these seats which your friends might want to consider - it is already starting to get difficult getting her in since both sides are so high.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC