Longevity of Roundabout

actuallyamanda

Is it possible to RF in a Roundabout until age 3? What if you have a super tiny kid? It seems like this seat generally is outgrown RFing before then but I was just curious if it was possible for anyone.

Reid is almost 22mos old now, only 21lbs. and still easily RFing in the CCO. He still has 3 inches of shell left above his head. As much as I wish we could keep this seat forever and ever, I know it is not likely to keep him RFing until he's 3. We own a FR85 that he will use once he's FFing so I'm basically just trying to consider what to get for the next year or so. I was looking at the roundabout(G4.1) mainly because of the great price on amazon, and because I've always liked Britax seats in general.

I did just sit him against the wall to measure him. He's 19" to the top of his head and 12.5" to the top of his shoulders.

ADS

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
My 2.5 year old is RF in a RA and isn't even close to outgrowing it. I haven't measured recently, but I think she has several inches above her head left. She is 34" tall and 26 lbs. I don't know what her seated height is, but I will measure her for you when she wakes up from her nap. I am quite sure she will make it to 3 years RF in it, but I want to keep her RF until 4, so I will probably pass the RA down to her younger sister before it is outgrown.

I LOVE the RA. It is my favorite seat. I actually find it easier to install (with LATCH) than the Nextfit, and it is much easier to use too. I can't believe how much cheaper it is than the other Britax seats -- and than a lot of other brands as well. It doesn't last as long, but I am okay with that because I only intend to use it as a RF seat.

BananaBoat

My 4 year old can still RF in a RA55. We recently turned her on her request, but RF til 4 at the minimum. She is 33lbs and 38 inches tall and has plenty of room in the RA55. I love that seat. I'm not generally a Britax lover, but I love that seat.

actuallyamanda

Thanks! That really helps me a lot and makes me feel much better about that seat. It seems like any research I've been able to find doesn't usually recommend it so I was unsure. My kid is so small, if I can get him to rf in it until he's 4, that would be great. I generally shoot for age 3 but anything after that is just an added bonus to me!

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
My 4 year old can still RF in a RA55. We recently turned her on her request, but RF til 4 at the minimum. She is 33lbs and 38 inches tall and has plenty of room in the RA55. I love that seat. I'm not generally a Britax lover, but I love that seat.

WOW! So according to the CDC growth charts, my kiddo is basically on the same percentile as yours for height. Maybe I won't even need a higher capacity convertible to get my daughter to 4! I knew I could probably get her to 3 years in the RA, but I always figured I'd have to get another seat to keep her RF until 4. If I could have both girls in RA's, that would be super sweet!

Honestly my only complaint about the RA is that it doesn't come in more fun colors. :)

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I measured my daughter from bum to the top of the head and she was 17".

jjordan

Thanks! That really helps me a lot and makes me feel much better about that seat. It seems like any research I've been able to find doesn't usually recommend it so I was unsure. My kid is so small, if I can get him to rf in it until he's 4, that would be great. I generally shoot for age 3 but anything after that is just an added bonus to me!

It is possible that your research is turning up info about the original roundabout, which was quite small, closer to the coccoro in size than the current roundabout. I don't expect you'd have any trouble RF a small kid to age 4 in a current generation roundabout!

actuallyamanda

It is possible that your research is turning up info about the original roundabout, which was quite small, closer to the coccoro in size than the current roundabout. I don't expect you'd have any trouble RF a small kid to age 4 in a current generation roundabout!

You're right, it probably is. In fact, I haven't been able to find much info at all about the G4. I'm happy to hear that it should be able to give us more time RFing.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I rfed DS in our RA50 until age 5. DD2 is still on the bottom slots at 2y6m.

50 is taller than the 55, it's the same shell as the old Marathon. Loved it, though, my dd had room over her head at 4.5, but reached the 33lb weight limit (which was high for RF back then, lol, she's 16 now!)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC