Logistics of flying with 3 kids and 1 adult

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
That's an interesting option. I hadn't thought of that, thanks :)

And no they don't provide breakfast; I'm taking food with me to feed them on the plane.

ADS

laserkatie

But if you bring a luggage cart with you, and a bungee cord, you can put the Radian on open, put in the CCO and diaper bag, and bungee it all together. You can get a cart and bungee at Walmart or Target for about $20.

Wendy

Do you think that you could bungee a carseat to a luggage cart, and then safely transport a child in the carseat? It seems like the same concept as a GoGo Travelmate, but would be a lot cheaper. I have a Britax Boulevard 70 and am trying to figure out how I'm going to haul it through the airport.

Thanks!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Yup. I've done it.

4254926422_1c449ee248.jpg

That was before I slid her onto the cart, but I wanted to take the picture before she woke up.

Wendy

laserkatie

Impressive! I'm guessing that you just gate check the luggage cart (or the GoGo Travelmate) once you start boarding the plane? I'll have to check with the airline to see if they charge extra to check something like that...I would assume they wouldn't since I don't think that they charge to check a stroller (at least, they didn't last time I flew, but fees change all the time!!)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
No, I folded it up and put it in the overhead. It folded to about 15" long by 12" wide by 4" thick. It easily fit up above.

Wendy

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I have wheeled a kid in a seat on a cheap luggage cart too. With the alligator style LATCH clips, they snap right onto the frame if the luggage cart.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I did a 'dry run' tonight with the seats. I was waffling between the CA for comfier sleeping and the Radian for the use of the tray table.

The CA on the luggage cart. It was awkward and a bit tippy as it wasn't flush upright. The CCO is held on with the bungie that came with the luggage cart.
IMG_8344.jpg

I "installed" the Complete Air on the luggage cart using the LATCH clips snapped to the frame. I also top tethered it for extra stability.
IMG_8342.jpg

The Radian 'installed' on the cart

IMG_8347.jpg

The Radian was much more stable and hardly tippy at all. With the wings shoved down all the way, the Coccoro fit nicely upside down.

ETA: I tried one more thing: folded the Radian, installed with LATCh like I did above, and then I hung the CCO upside down off the front and used the LATCH belt (in the RF belt path) and clipped it to the LATCH storage spot on the Radian. Then I ran the bungee around through the FF belt path. Very secure, and corners without tipping at all. I think I'll do this.
IMG_8349.jpg

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm another who prefers to sit 2 and 2. I'd put you and baby in one row, your oldest and second in front of you. You'll be able to keep an eye on them, and if the seating is staggered (like on Southwest) it'll be in easier reach than if you're "across" from each other.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
That actually might work better for Mali, too, as she could lean on the window. I bought her a neck pillow and was thinking she could lean on Scarlett's seat but she would probably be more comfortable leaning against the window.

Pixels

In order for Mali to get a window seat, you will have to be sitting with her and the two littles will have to be in the other row.

cupcakepirate11

I wore my son in the moby wrap through the security check points in Maine and In Denver. It really helped with shoving everything through the scanner! learned my lesson from not wearing him through the first time and had a full container of water. They made me leave dump the water and go back through.

Anywho, no one gave me any trouble with the moby. I think other carriers are more structured which...is somehow more suspicious?

I didn't even think of getting a cart for that! I am just going to use the harness of my quinny zapp to hold my sons car seat and wear him in the Ergo to go through the airport this summer!

Chris

Another alternative to using the luggage cart is to use a wheeled carry on and strap the carseat to that. Basically like this picture.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Traveling-Toddler-Seat-Travel-Accessory/dp/B000JHN3AS/ref=pd_cp_ba_1"]Amazon.com: Traveling Toddler Car Seat Travel Accessory: Baby[/ame]

I read one reviewer who just took a d-ring from a hardware store, clipped the top teather and latch straps over and around the carry used the D-ring to hold it all together. They do recommend using a good carry on with nice wheels, and filling it full so that the seat doesn't sag.

I am thinking of doing this when I fly this summer with all three kids and 2 seats.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
That's a great idea for one seat, not sure how it would work with two sears though.

We all made it, but it was miserable and I won't be doing that again anytime soon!

Posted by a robot and susceptible to unrelated and potentially inappropriate AutoCorrects.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC