Limo?

LuvMyGirls

My daughter's school is doing the limo ride and lunch prize for a recent fundraiser. She sold way over the 10 item requirement, but I told her teacher I'd rather she not go. Her private school starts with three yr olds, and Meredith is four. I'm trying to find info on whether it's even legal (I already know it isn't safe!) to ride these little ones in a limo without a carseat. A note was sent home telling parents they would go tomorrow, but it doesn't even mention carseats or boosters. We're in Mississippi, and I cannot find anything.

ADS

cookie123

I made my grandkids skip the limo ride from the wedding to the reception. I was unpopular, to say the least. I took them myself in dd's van. They got over it! Why would they even do this for a prize for preschoolers?

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I'd skip it unless the limo has only forward-facing vehicle seats (unlikely), and you can confirm that all riders will be restrained (unlikely). If even one person is unrestrained, that person becomes a massive projectile in a crash. Not a situation I'd want to put my kid in.

LuvMyGirls

Thank you! I called to ask the school about carseats and the secretary said that had come up, and all she knew was that the limo does not have any seatbelts so carseats will not be used. She commented that they had not thought about that ahead of time. I have already talked to Meredith's teacher and made it clear that Meredith is not to go. I told her if they want to let the kids climb in and check it out like the did the firetruck and ambulance for community helpers week, that was fine, but she is not to leave in it.

I cannot get Safe Kids MS on the phone, but I did leave a message for them to call. I called the main fire dept that does installs and the man that answered the phone just said they would have to ride in seats. I called another limo company to see what they'd say, and the lady said they do not need carseats if they are with a parent that can hold them. I asked her for the written law on this and she said it's the same law that covers taxis and to call the county about it. Of course, the county referred me to Safe Kids MS or the Madison fire dept I had called.

Pixels

There is no exception for taxis. Children under age four must be in a child restraint, unless the vehicle is designed to carry more than 15 passengers, is a motorcycle, moped, ATV or trailer, or a vehicle registered for "farm" use. The other exceptions are if the passenger has written documentation of a medical reason not to wear a seatbelt, a passenger car operated by a rural letter carrier of the USPS, or a utility reader while on duty.

autumnlily

I was in a limo yesterday that had 3 forward facing seats with lap/shoulder belts and at least one top tether anchor.

However, the other unbelted passengers would serve as a horrible and unsafe example.

Too bad the school didn't do their homework :thumbsdown:

LuvMyGirls

The accident on Oprah is what I think of everytime I hear of kids in a limo! I did finally hear back from Safe Kids and she said they do have to be in a carseat or booster on a forward facing seat. I know there used to be some exemptions for vehicles without seatbelts, so I asked. She wasn't sure and asked her boss who said he still thinks they would be required to be in seats and couldn't ride at all without seat belts, but if he finds out otherwise they'll call me back.

Last edited:

Baylor

The accident on Oprah is what I think of everytime I hear of kids in a limo! I did finally hear back from Safe Kids and she said they do have to be in a carseat or booster on a forward facing seat. I know there used to be some exemptions for vehicles without seatbelts, so I asked. She wasn't sure and asked her boss who said he still thinks they would be required to be in seats and couldn't ride at all without seat belts, but if he finds out otherwise they'll call me back.

Well I did not want that picture in my mind.. As a mother.. I can not think of anything worse. How devastating and a reality check. We all think.. this one time.. Or it is just 3 mins.

Never again.

luvsviola

I was also unpopular when DD was a flower girl and I didn't let her ride in the limo. Instead, she was in her RFing Radian in my car. I don't want to end up on "Wedding Disasters"!

zeo2ski

I was also unpopular when DD was a flower girl and I didn't let her ride in the limo. Instead, she was in her RFing Radian in my car. I don't want to end up on "Wedding Disasters"!

Ditto exactly here, except DS was the ringbearer, not flower girl. The flower girl (also 2 yo) did ride in the limo.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC