Lesser of two evils?

emntheboys

We currently have a '99 Ford Explorer as our second vehicle. We've been pretty happy with it except that it is two wheel drive and semi-worthless in the winter. We have the opportunity to purchase my husband's great grandpa's Pontiac Montana (betw/ '01 & '04 not sure of the year yet) for dirt cheap. We figure that we would be able to sell the Explorer for enought to pay off the loan plus buy the van outright, but I'm concerned about the safety of the van. I know that the Explorer isn't a very safe vehicle either due to rollover risk, but is one worse than the other? What would you do?

ADS

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Don't buy it! They have bad motors, and have horrible ratings for safety. I replaced my motor at 109,000 miles, went thru umpteen wheel bearings and tie rod and CV boot shafts.

And we were very careful with maintenance on it. They really are junk. We junked it at 150,000 when the transmission went (after $1000 in work on the tranny) two weeks prior.

Just my opinion though. ours was a 2003, my inlaws had an '03 as well, traded it in on a truck and the tranny blew 2 weeks later the dealer told them...it had about 70,000 miles

rosey2007

I would keep the Explorer and not get the van. Those vans get horrible crash test ratings. I would continue to save your money and get something different.

Qarin

Huh. My 1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette is a goddamn workhorse. I can only wish it would be a mechanical nightmare as that would give me necessary reason to find a way to have something else.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Huh. My 1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette is a goddamn workhorse. I can only wish it would be a mechanical nightmare as that would give me necessary reason to find a way to have something else.

it was a '99 to '03 or '04 issue if I remember correctly

Maggie

We have an '01. 150000 and still going strong.

They do get bad crash ratings. I knew that when I bought it. But guess what? It's what we could afford at the time. What worked for our family.

I paid $1200 for it. We were in dire need of a vehicle. We had $1500 cash to spend and out of everything available at the time, the Montana fit our budget and needs.

I will NOT go into debt over a vehicle. Regardless of whether or not we can make the monthly payments. We pay cash or we don't buy it.

I sit as far back as I can when driving. (IIRC the main issue is with the driver position)

I keep my kids in safe seats.

You do the best you can with what you have. ;)

amyd

I think statistically rollover is less common than frontal so I'd keep the Explorer. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, though.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
You do the best you can with what you have. ;)

I understand and agree with that statement.

However, she does currently have something that (IMO, at least) is safer than the Montana. I think "the best" would be to keep the Explorer. (Isn't the Montana 2WD also? What would be gained by switching?)

emntheboys

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Chickabiddy-the Explorer is rear wheel drive so it is pretty worthless in the snow (our driveway is a steep hill). The Montana is front wheel drive so should handle better in the winter.

Anyway, we decided to pass on the van. We found out that it is a '97 instead of an '01 or '03 and has a lot more miles than we were initially told. Plus the Explorer has been a really good runner for us (knock on wood) so it seemed kind of dumb to give that up for an unknown vehicle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC