Latchable nbb?

VoodooChile

So what's the skinny on latchable nbb's? I'm going to be moving dd to nbb's this year and the Santa Fe is a serious contender for my vehicle. But I thought I'd read somewhere (I have no source or citation, just a fuzzy memory, so this could easily be a figment of my imagination, in which case, please let me know!) that TC didn't get thrilling test results with latched nbb's?
So what's the story on this?

ADS

canadiangie

Less than stellar results for Clek Oto, which is now discontinued. But that had to do with the design of the belt guides, not so much the fact that it was latched, I'm pretty sure. It's been a while since I read the results tho.

Oobr (I think the only other latched booster they tested) had a slight increase in abdominal loading, I think. But not to an extent where the rec was that boosters be used free floating.

I didn't get the impression that the results were earth shattering, more so I got the impression that increased abdominal loading was observed, and simply mentioned in the results.

I should go back and read...

TXmom2

I know I will probably get my hand slapped for this, but is there any way to loosely tether a booster so it's not a projectile, but doesn't affect function?

canadiangie

Well and that's where it gets messy. Maybe rigid latch was the reason for increased abdominal loading. Maybe flexible latch would produce lower numbers. Or maybe not. Or maybe unlatched is best for abdominal loading, but latched is better in terms of side impact crashes.

Too many maybes. Just use whatever seat you own 100% correctly and consider yourself way ahead of the game, generally speaking. :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I've been pondering this... I don't have an answer except my mommy gut seems to think the a flexible LATCH not tightened too much might be 'better' (to ride with the child somewhat, rather than allow the child to slip forward and down off the front). Of course, one should follow one's manufacturers instructions (my B570 doesn't have a tightening mechanism at all, I guess they think loose is safe enough? Other manufacturers must test these things pretty well, wish dummies had better abdominal sensors, though...)

dneul

I just got the new Graco Connext for dd2. She fits in it perfectly. She is 75 pounds and 51 inches. She has a 21 inch torso. She is 6 years and 20 months. I have it in a 2005 dodge grand caravan. I can get pictures later today after she is up if there is interest.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC