LATCH in Jeep 2003 Wrangler - where are the restraints?

A

AJ_in_MD

I have a 2003 Jeep Wrangler and I've been able to locate the LATCH anchor points.
I recently puchased a Graco SnugRide 32 Infant Car Seat. (I will have a newborn in a couple months)

both manuals seem to refer to the other when it comes to installing a seat using LATCH and both reference the idea of some kind of LATCH harness restraints. While I know where the anchors are in my Jeep, it appears that restraints did not come with the car - so it seems I need to purchase them separately. However, when I do an internet search, I can't see to find anyone that sells them.

Am I missing something? Are the restraints really the seat belts attached to the latch points? I'm a little baffeled on how to install this with LATCH.

This shouldn't be that confusing... I'm an engineer...

-AJ

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi.

There is no LATCH for the center position, so for that you'd use the seatbelt.

Outboard you should see little circle indicators. Feel under there and those are the lower anchors. If you wanted to use LATCH you would then use the LATCH straps on the Snugride 32 to attach to the lower anchors.

Honestly, I find the seatbelt much easier to do on the SR32, and if you want to put the seat in the center you need to use the seatbelt anyway. So I'd just do that. Then find a tech to show you were the LATCH is and how to use it properly. We have several techs from the board in MD, if any are close to you.

Maryland MD

Kent, Queen Anne, Talbot, Caroline, Dorchester, & Wicomico Counties, Maryland...will consider parts of Delaware.
Susan
(SusanMae)
Technician since 2007

Baltimore
Caroline
(ShunNum)
Technician since 2006
Trained in Special Needs

Baltimore County
Kathy
(NannyMom)
Technician since 2008

Wendy

Wendy

Just to add on to what Wendy said, the latch hooks I think you found in your jeep, correct? And like Wendy said, you cannot use latch in the center of that vehicle, you need the seatbelt there (which is really easy with the snugride 32 because of the built in lock-off;) THe latch strap is the strap that came with the snugride 32 that has hooks on the end. Usually restaint refers to the carseat. So, the infant seat is a child restraint. Make sense?

crunchierthanthou

There is no LATCH for the center position, so for that you'd use the seatbelt.

actually, there is no center position in a 2003 Wrangler. Only the Wrangler Unlimited (4 door, 2007+) has a center seat. The regular two door Wranglers are only 4 seaters - if they have a rear seat at all.

AJ, the tether anchors for the top strap are red bars on the floor of your cargo area.

A

AJ_in_MD

Thanks everyone!

When I get home from work today, i'll examine the car seat in more detail. I'd read the manual, but didn't inspect the seat in good enough detail it seams like. I knew there were some kind of straps attached, but I didn't get that they were the LATCH straps. (I'm taking this slow - I have a little bit of time... I'm not due till July, so if I get this thing installed by the end of April I think I'm doing pretty good) :)

I did get that yes - the LATCH is only on the outer positions, not the center. Is it safer to put the seat in the center and use normal belts or use the LATCH on one of the sides? if it's a wash, then I think i'd prefer to have the seat in the center...

-AJ
(specifically near Frederick, MD)

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The center isn't an allowable installation location because there's not an actual center rear seating position equipped with a vehicle seatbelt in your vehicle as Crunchier posted above. :eek: A proper installation is key, and in your vehicle that would be outboard on either the passenger or driver's side, using either the vehicle seatbelt or a lower LATCH anchor installation.

crunchierthanthou

I did get that yes - the LATCH is only on the outer positions, not the center. Is it safer to put the seat in the center and use normal belts or use the LATCH on one of the sides? if it's a wash, then I think i'd prefer to have the seat in the center...

In general, the center is statistically safer. However, you vehicle does not have a center seating position. Use LATCH or seatbelt outboard - whichever you find to work best.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jocelyn

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Maxi Cosi is a proud sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2021 Carseat Media LLC