KLM and Air France car seat policies - what's written vs. reality?

chispita

I've been having a look at KLM, Air France's, and Air Europa policies with regards to car seats, since those are our preferred airlines when we go back at least once a year to our native country, but I'm unclear on some of their restrictions - on whether those would be sticking points or if they're even realistic.

KLM:
- You need to notify them in advance that you will be using a car seat
- Max width 16.5"

Delta operates one of our usual flights, but since it's an American carrier that seems to be more straighforward as to what is allowed and what isn't.

Air France:
- Max width 16"

Air Europa:
- Can only be used between 6 months and 3 years (exceptions for children who cannot sit on their own past 3 years)

My question is with regards to the width limits, which I'm very surprised at (especially because the KLM seats on our European flights had always felt wider than the Delta ones on the first leg, whcih doesn't have a width restriction). Are these restrictions real? Are there any of the common chairs this narrow (I'd always heard of 17" as the cut off)? Is it more of an if it fits it fits or you might need to raise the arm rest thing?

It's not a deal breaker for us, since we will have a good car seat waiting at out destination, and we've done the whole lap child thing before (yes, I'm aware it's not as safe, we're okay with this risk). But I'm starting to think of this Christmas - when baby will still be under 2 years old, but very much a toddler.

ADS

cantabdad

We took Air France in 2012 and were allowed to use our Britax Roundabout (approx. width 17"). On the outbound flight we had to argue with the flight attendant for a little bit and refer her to a copy of the airline's own policy. (She seemed unaware of the entire concept of using carseats onboard.) On the way home, we had no trouble at all.

In both cases, the width of the carseat itself was not checked and was never an issue. Unless someone has a tape measure, it would be difficult to verify, especially as they are bustling around getting ready for departure. I think the intent is just to make sure that it will fit in the seat.

I personally think you'd be fine with almost any carseat. Also, when I checked AF's website for the USA it gives a limit of 44 cm/17" which is more realistic (except 42 cm/16.5" for the bulkhead row).

newyorkDOC

I'd just avoid bulkhead as the arm rests don't move. Any other row and you can just raise the armrest to install then lower it again.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC