Kiddy Guardian Pro 2 - US Airways

meggles

On Friday, we'll be flying with our 21 month old on US Airways from LHR-PHL. We have purchased a seat for him, and were planning on taking our 'spare' seat the Kiddy Guardian Pro 2. We were planning on putting him in the window in the seat, and then we have two aisles (the plane is a 2-4-2 config).

However... looking at US Airway's website, there is mention of 'restraint straps' : http://www.usairways.com/en-US/traveltools/specialneeds/children.html

The Kiddy Guardian Pro 2 doesn't have straps per say, but a bolster pad thingy that slide into place and is secured with lap or lap/shoulder belt (in car).

I'm now really worried that a flight attendent will not let us use this seat and all plans will be put in disarrary.

If I'm not 100% US Airways will allow this seat, I'll go out and get a cheapish 'harness' type seat, or try & borrow for someone.

BTW - I'm 7 months pregnant, so I NEED this to go as smoothly as possible.

THANKS!!!

ADS

Keeyamah

I'd be worried that because of the way airplane seats buckle, it wouldn't work. But I don't know the seat, so it may be a moot point.

meggles

Yes - I agree. But on their website, they have instructions which suggest asking for a seat belt extender AND bringing a seat belt shortener on board so that the buckle bit can be between the strap threading guards on the front.

Keeyamah

Yes - I agree. But on their website, they have instructions which suggest asking for a seat belt extender AND bringing a seat belt shortener on board so that the buckle bit can be between the strap threading guards on the front.

That seems like a lot of hassle for traveling while pregnant. What's your main seat? It may be easier to install than the Kiddie.

cantabdad

Kiddy's website says that it is approved for aircraft use, but it doesn't specify which authority -- I am guessing that it has an EU approval mark.

If that is the case, then *very strictly speaking*, it is acceptable for use on US-registered air carriers, including US Airways.

Under FAA policy, "No aircraft operator may prohibit a child from using an approved CRS when the parent/guardian purchases a seat for the child." (In this context, "approved CRS" includes those with US, foreign government, or UN approval.)

All of that being said, the typical flight attendant is not very familiar with the regulations and may be even more perplexed by this particular carseat, which has no conventional harness straps.

And looking at Kiddy's instructions for aircraft installation.... it's complicated enough that I don't think I would want to attempt that. You probably don't have time to order and receive the belt shortener that instructions say is probably needed.

So, given that you want things to go as smoothly as possible, I think you're looking at buying or borrowing another seat. The Amsafe / CARES product is another lightweight option that is FAA-approved, if you don't need a carseat for your destination.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
If it's approved for aircraft use by any government, it's considered approved for use on US-based airlines also. EU certification is as good as US certification in that regard.

This blog post includes a link to FAA regulations and tells you where to find the parts that might be most pertinent: http://carseatblog.com/22134/flying-with-a-car-seat-know-your-rights/

The hiccup is that even the FAA regs talk about approved seats having straps. It doesn't address the shield issue. However, the sticker saying it's certified for aircraft use should trump all that. The problem is that it might not. Even if LEGALLY you're allowed to use it, if it's something the flight crew isn't familiar with, it might turn into a big ordeal.

Is there a different seat you can take? If the Kiddy you have is certified, you're certainly within your rights to use it, but you might be right in being concerned that it won't be easy.

meggles

Thanks for the replies!

My husband is travelling with me as well... so he can sort out Little Toddler, while I sort out seat (or vice versa)

My other seat is a Klippan Kiss Rear Facing... it's enormous, has to be rear facing, and I'm not sure I'd want to lug it around an airport: http://www.securatot.co.uk/klippan-kiss-2

I've already ordered & recieved belt shortener (thought I was going to do this trip is July so ordered it, but never used it)

sk8nut

Based on past experiences if you truly want everything to go off without a hiccup, then take a seat that has the FAA approved sticker. However, if you really want to use this seat, print out anything from the FAA's website that specifies the "approved" seats include EU approved seats and take that with you as well. I would also email US Airways customer service asking if car seat approved for aircraft use by the EU are considered "approved" by US Airways and if they say yest, print that out and take it too. That way you have the proof you need if asked for it, but if you are asked for it be VERY polite as some flight attendants don't like it when we know more than they do... and honestly I'm not sure how much car seats are gone over with them in training.

meggles

Thanks guys - I live in the UK - and am there now. Any seat I buy or borrow will only have the E... sticker on it. Although I really would like to take our existing Kiddy Guardian Pro 2 seat, as:
1- Little Man is comfy and used to it. ie more likely to sleep.
2- I already have the necessary bits to make it wheelable through airport
3- It's super easy to install in taxi/cars/etc when at our final destination.

I think I might try & borrow a 'typical' front facing car seat. I just don't want the possibility of him not having a seat, not being safe and not sleeping at all.

If the flight attendents have a few spare minutes, I might ask them their opinion for future flights.

I love my little man, but travelling with children adds a whole other layer of complexity!!!

(and as for the CARES harness - looks great, but I worry little man won't sleep in it)

cantabdad

Are those carseats approved for aircraft use? The first one seems _not_ to be since it can only be installed with a 3-point belt (cf. 2-point lap belt on the plane). The second one - I didn't see any info one way or the other.

Almost all US carseats are approved for aircraft use but I know the situation is different in Europe.

meggles

Thanks - I think I'll physically go to the car seat place tomorrow and have a look myself as this is turning into a rabbit's warren!

meggles

So went to a large baby store this morning and spoke with very helpful guy.
There are only (2) UK sold seats certified for use on aircraft (for my size child). Only these (2) can be fitted with lap belt... They are Britax Eclipse and Britax Prince. However, recently the Prince has had it's 'Aircraft Approved' sticker taken off, so he wasn't sure about that one now.

He called Britax HQ, and they said that officially the Prince was never approved, adn that Britax Eclipse is the only one for use on flights. However, to officially use it, it will need an extra sticker that you need to buy for £10...

So, now I'm trying to see if any of my friends have a Britax Ecliipse I can borrow for a week...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC