Question KF30 Installation Problems in a Subaru

SeattleRain

I just spent the better part of the last 40 minutes trying to figure out a way to install my KF30 in the back of my 2009 Subaru Impreza. I have a CCO outboard on the passenger side and I want it to stay there since it's tethered and doesn't come out of my car since it's my son's main seat. My best friend just had a c-section and can't drive and I told her I would be her main source of transportation for the next few weeks, so I wanted to install the KF for her to use so I don't have to keep installing and uninstalling her seat (it doesn't install baseless very well or else I would be going that direction).

Anyway, my personal preference was to install it in the middle seat with the CCO on it's right. Every time I did it, it was not a safe install. The problem seemed to be with the center seatbelt and the fact that it comes out of the ceiling and attaches to a long belt stalk connector to make into a l/s seatbelt. The Subaru already has long belt stalks, so having the two long belt stalks seemed to be a problem. Every time I would try to install it, the belt stalks seemed to be coming through into the beltpath and making it so I couldn't pull the belt as tight. Is it just not compatible in the middle seat?

I also noticed that the left shoulder belt lock-off (the one that I used primarily when my son used it for 10 months) seemed to be allowing the shoulder belt to slip through. I actually tested it a few times and each time it didn't hold the belt tight. Is that possible? Do these lock-offs have the potential to lose their grippiness?!

I gave up on the center install because I couldn't make it work and put it behind the drivers seat. On that side, the lock-off was fine, but I installed it with LATCH just in case because I didn't trust it.

ADS

Catalytic

I have never had good luck with my KeyFit's lockoffs on the base. I can install it perfectly, it's rock solid, and 30 minutes later, it wiggles all over the place. Have you tried just installing the infant seat without the base? I know that's a pain, but since it's only for a few weeks, maybe it would be do-able?

Pixels

Yes, sometimes the lockoff gets stretched out on the KF base. You can use the other lockoff or use LATCH as you have done.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
I've done a center install in a few new Subarus with that ceiling mount belt, and had to twist the belt stalk down twice but otherwise they went in fine.

SeattleRain

Yes, sometimes the lockoff gets stretched out on the KF base. You can use the other lockoff or use LATCH as you have done.

Isn't this a little ridiculous though? I used the seat from July 2010 until probably April 2011, so 9 months of it's life. It was made in November 2009, so it's supposed to be good until 2015. It is definitely conceivable that I could decide to have another child while the seat is still supposed to be usable, but I wouldn't be able to install it in 2/3 of the positions in any car that doesn't have LATCH. If the seat is supposed to be usable until 2015, shouldn't that mean that all the parts (especially really important essential ones like lock-offs) will work for the life of the seat? Also, isn't this dangerous? What if a parent isn't as savvy as I am and isn't constantly checking and testing their seat? What if they just follow the instructions in the manual and leave the seat alone? Their belt would slowly be slipping and slipping away from being a safe seat, not to mention what might happen in the case of a crash.

@Emma- Yes, I will try twisting the stalk next time. I didn't think of it at the time, but I thought about it later.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC