Jeep Grand Cherokee 2006 and the dumb headrests!

jleecole

I have read through many posts regarding the headrests in Jeep Grand Cherokees and Commanders. I have a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and I recently moved my Britax Boulevard to the outboard position with the non-removable headrest. The way I installed it (using all my weight, which is a lot!) is that it is indenting the headrest - the very bottom of the back of the seat is about an inch from the seat, but 90% of the back of the car seat is against the seat of my car. Is this a bad install? I am also concerned about the fact that I am currently shopping for a high back booster with a 5 point harness for my 2-1/2 year old and I had decided on the Frontier or possibly the Nautilus, but after reading these posts I am wondering if it those will even work?? To complicate things, I am convinced that I will not feel comfortable if I do not have a seat with side impact protection of some sort (since when I bought the Jeep I based my purchase partially on the five star crash rating, which only applies to models with side air bags, not on my vehicle) and now I have found out that my vehicle is even worse based on IIHS ratings..

Others had suggested getting a car seat that sits lower on the seat, but if I am understanding the difference between IIHS and NHTSA ratings, the difference is due to the test subject being smaller in the seat (IIHS ratings are based on smaller female and child dummies, while the NHTSA ratings are based on a larger male dummy) which means that their heads are more in the direct path of the force of impact....so wouldn't it make sense that the car seat that sits higher in the car would be at least a little better in a side impact collision because the persons head and/or upper torso is higher than the area of impact? Maybe this is me just going way overboard with the analyzing....or completely misunderstanding the ratings...

ANYWAYS, any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated. I suppose the best thing to do is take my vehicle to get inspected...

ADS

cpsaddict

My bff has a Dodge Calibur(07) with the same fixed headrests. I can get the Marathon outboard, but I have to put all my weight in it and it sits really upright. The whole back of the car seat is not touching the seat of the car. It doesn't in my Escape with no headrests. That's seems to be the way the Britax seats are made.
Now, the tests are done with smaller dummys not in car seats, I think. Passengers in 5pt harnessed car seats are much more protected than the average passenger. Seats on bases are not really going to be any better than ones without. For instance, the Sunshine Kids Radian tests EXTREMELY well, even untethered and it has no base at all. You will probably run into issues when using the Nautilis or Frontier as a booster, as those headrests will push the headrest forward.
Also, even though the Boulevard has the TSIP wings, there is no test to see how TSIP really performs. Just like there is no test to see how EPS/EPP foam performs. Common sense, though, tells us that these things are better. All car seats with harness have side impact protection by nature.
Long story short, you need to use the seat that installs the best. Can you possibly post a picture of the installation of the Boulevard outboard? This would help determine if it is compatible. I would feel comfortable using any properly installed harnessed seat outboard.

jleecole

I tried to get some pictures, but you can't really tell what is going on in them, so they are pretty useless. I posted them anyways. One side seems to be tighter against the seat than the other - I think the seat is just a tiny bit crooked - I have tried three times to fix it and I haven't had much luck. The top of the side that has the biggest gap is not more than about an inch (my husband has hidden the tape measure from me - I can't find it...)

I took the car to get inspected yesterday, and the inspector told me that as long as the seat doesn't move, it is okay. He said it is not a big deal if the back of the car sit is sitting against the seat - as long as it doesn't move. He had more (minor) issues with my Graco infant base installed next to it!

Is it possible to use pool noddles or some other material along the back if I need it to support the seat better along the back? Or are those only really used at the base?

cpsaddict

Actually, it looks fine to me. Mine sits just like that. As long as it does not move more than an inch side to side, it's fine. You can't use noodles with a forward facing seat, that's only for rearfacing. When I install mine, I set it in there way more upright than I would want it and then kneel in it. It seems to sink down more, as a tighten the LATCH straps. Is it any better with the seatbelt? Sometimes the LATCH doesn't work that well for me.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member

MandiRN

I was helping my neighbor install her DC in her 06 Jeep Grand Cherokee with those PITA headrests. It just wouldn't work even with the seat as "reclined" as it would go (which was barely reclined at all IMO). We got one install but it was waaaaay too upright and very little of the back of the CR was touching the actual car seat. We ended up putting the DC in the center and she won't be getting another Jeep when her lease is up in a year. Those headrests are horrible! I was uncomfortable sitting in that seat.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
This is a very common problem in Jeep and I think they have been made aware of the situation but I wonder if Jeep is going to do anything to fix this issue with car seat incompatibility. If anything they could make them moveable to help families. I mean these vehicle are not made for single individuals or childless couples. They are geared for families with children. So they should tailor these vehicles around every aspect that comes along with having a family and car seat are one of those items that come along with kids.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Is Jeep one of the companies that dealerships have a special key, to remove the headrests? That's something I would look into.

-Nicole.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Please be sure and contact Jeep and file a complaint - they won't make changes if they don't know that a LOT of people are having problems and choosing different vehicles because of this issue!

jleecole

I took the Jeep to the dealer. There is an easy way to get the headrest off, but the two 'poles' are still attached to the car seat. They would have to take the cover off the seat to get to the screws to unscrew the poles from the seat. They wanted $180 to do it. I found a trim shop that said they could do it cheaper, and I plan to take it in tomorrow to get the thing taken off. Hopefully then it will be taken care of.

N

NorCalMom

I have the same frustration but found out how to remove the dumb headrests!!! (jumping up and down...yeah!!) Heres how to do it....
1) release the rear seat by pulling the rear seat release. The headrest will pitch forward. The base of the headrest is are 2 plastic decorative caps. These are just snapped on, pry them off easily and wiggle them down best you can.

2) The headrests are held on by a U shapped spring (there are 2. 1 for each pole). Push on both springs and the headrest will come off.

I found this on a jeep forum, this individual used a hack saw to add a "notch" so the headrest could remain but sit higher. http://http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/rear-headrest-removal-stumped-726602/

I just put the headrest on backwards so the poles are covered but the carseat fits well. It doesn't "snap" into place but its easily reversible if I have an adult use the seat.

good luck to all on this!

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC