Is this outgrown?

Stelvis

At 30lbs I think it's safe to say the large RSTV would be too loose. It was nearly too loose on my son (95th for height and weight) when I bought it for him and he was at least 40lbs then, actually I think he was 43lbs. I had it cinched as tight as it would go. You might see if you can find someone on here who has a small and could measure it from shoulder to the bottom of the vest. Or are there measurements online? I just loved the ease of traveling with it! They so need to come out with a medium. There is just a pretty large gray area that neither size will fit or fit well, at least.

He is 37 lbs. I was going by the measurements and description in the car seat data pages, which said that the small would require a chest circumference of at least 22" in order to tighten, the circumference of the vest being 24.5". His chest circumference is 21" with a thick shirt on. The length is listed as 16.5", and his torso seems to be about 17.5". So it sounds like even the small would be too big around, and also possibly too short. I definitely would get one though if I thought it would fit.

(edited)

ADS

littleangelfire

I was going by the measurements and description in the car seat data pages, which said that the small would require a chest circumference of at least 22" in order to tighten, the circumference of the vest being 24.5". His chest circumference is 21" with a thick shirt on. So it sounds like even the small would be too big around, and also possibly too short. I definitely would get one though if I thought it would fit.

Ah, I missed the circumference of the small being a problem as well as the length, I'm sorry. And they really don't tighten all that much, IMO, either.

Stelvis

If you decide to go with a HBB you wouldn't have to bring one with- you could have her pick one up there, or have it shipped there, and leave it for another trip or have her donate it to a women's shelter or whatever when you're gone.

Yes, that's definitely true. There are family friends who could also use it. I'm not worried about the cost, just a good fit and narrowness. If I shipped one to her, it would have to be one she could reliably put together before picking us up. So definitely nothing with screws.

Why do I have to have such torso monsters!?!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Believe me, I feel your pain! There are plenty out there that come put together or close to it and fit skinny kids well. :)

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I would think you could find a 2012 X5 on a lot somewhere pretty easily so you could figure out for sure if he would be too tall in the vehicle in question.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
One thing I just thought of and this is an issue whether you take the Go or a booster or anything but a traditional harness- will the plane belt fit him? We flew when Emma was 7 1/2 and she weighed about 45 lbs., maybe a little more, but was long and lanky (has a small/delicate bone structure, as opposed to two of my others who are built like linebackers), and the belt would not tighten enough on her. I wasn't comfortable with it but there was nothing I could do at that point, and she was very nervous the whole time.

Stelvis

I would think you could find a 2012 X5 on a lot somewhere pretty easily so you could figure out for sure if he would be too tall in the vehicle in question.

Yeah, I'm sure I could just go down to the dealership. IIRC from last year the amount of room he had left -- about 2" -- was similar in my car and hers. We have a couple months though, and he's only going to keep getting taller. So I feel like even if he had 1/2" now in the X5, it wouldn't be a sure thing.

He sort of slumped his hips forward in it last year because there was a lot of room between him and the crotch buckle. This year he has to sit more upright because he's closer to the buckle, which makes him taller in it.

Stelvis

One thing I just thought of and this is an issue whether you take the Go or a booster or anything but a traditional harness- will the plane belt fit him? We flew when Emma was 7 1/2 and she weighed about 45 lbs., maybe a little more, but was long and lanky (has a small/delicate bone structure, as opposed to two of my others who are built like linebackers), and the belt would not tighten enough on her. I wasn't comfortable with it but there was nothing I could do at that point, and she was very nervous the whole time.

I have video so I went back and watched. It did tighten, although it rode high on his abdomen. Then again that's how it looks on the kids in the CARES examples on their website. It sounds like that can vary by plane though, so something to watch out for.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yes, some reportedly fit 20 lb. 2 year olds just fine, and some won't fit skinny 8 year olds. :( It depends not only on aircraft or airline but aircraft used by each airline and sometimes when it was made, etc.- they all have different configurations. :rolleyes: If they allow kids to travel on planes without car seats they really ought to make rules about how small the belts have to go to make sure they fit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC