Is seatbelt - LATCH - seatbelt install okay?

melinstar

There are only two sets of LATCH connectors in my Mazda CX-9. None dedicated to the middle seat. Is it okay to install a seat with the LATCH in the middle, borrowing one LATCH from each outboard seat, and then seatbelt install the outboard seats?

If the types of seats matter, it would be a Frontier 85, a Coccoro, and an infant seat. I haven't puzzled it to make sure it works seat-width wise bc I am 9 months pregnant and don't want to expend the effort if my seatbelt-latch-seatbelt isn't doable in the first place.

And I am asking bc my dog chewed through the middle seatbelt and it is $500 to get replaced (if that dog wasn't my first baby....;)

ADS

Keeks64

No , you cannot borrow the LATCH anchors unless permitted by both the vehicle & car seat manufacture.

A proper outboard install is still very safe using the seatbelt OR LATCH :)

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I think that's not quite what she's asking.

You don't have a functioning centre seat belt, so you want to install the outboard seats with the belt, and the centre with LATCH.

Lucky for you both your vehicle AND the Coccoro allow that, as does Britax. Now my big caution is only if the lower anchors and the outboard belts do not overlap. I would be surprised if they don't actually, and therefore I would be surprised if this works in actual practice.

Can you post a picture of your whole back seat with no seats in it so we can see if that's even a possibility? Otherwise you're going to need to get that centre belt replaced now, rather than later :(

carolyn_mtl

The CX9 does allow borrowing out outboard LATCH for a center installation as do two off your car seats, however, you cannot use the outboard seatbelt if they overlap the LATCH connectors.

melinstar

Thank you for your insights! I figured that even it were allowed, there would be some logistical reason it wouldn't be feasible. It is a good idea to fix the seatbelt for future non-car seat use, but was hoping to avoid the crazy expense right now. Instead of worrying about overlap, etc, I think it is best just to bite the bullet and get it replaced. (Esp since there are no tether ports in the third row making it unusable to me currently too.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC