Is it possible that my NT 6.6 yr old...

glockchick

Is not ready for a booster? I'm constantly having to remind her to sit right in her seat, don't lean forward to talk to me, don't lean to the side so the belt isn't over your shoulder etc. She's knows how to sit right and way. She's always been a spacy child but gees!

At this point I do have 2 FR 85s that I could harness her in, but then I'd have to get something for Caleb to ride in since he's outgrown the BLVDs. Or I could move FRs between cars for both of them, but I don't always have time for that and I'd rather not.

Any ideas to help her remember? She's not being disobedient. She always moves back right away and says sorry, she just doesn't think about it. She's in a TB SS and Recaro Probooster right now fwiw, so she has side support to remind her not to move but it doesn't matter.

ADS

tiggercat

My 7yo is just not a good booster rider. I am constantly reminding her to sit properly. She knows the rules, she just seems to not realize what she's doing until I bring her attention to it.
She's been in a booster since she outgrew the Nautilus at 6 (?). However, she's also too tall for any seat on the market now, so I just remind, remind, remind.

My eldest was always excellent in a booster (started at 4yo, full time boostered at 5, giant kid, crappy seat selection in Canada in that era!).

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Jessica61624

My dd goes through phases. Some times she does great. Sometimes she is awful. I've caught her leaned all the way over messing with her brother. She's also outgrown everything but the frontier. And that just doesn't fit in my set up.

jnamommy

My ds1 is almost 7...and we just moved him to a booster in some of the vehicles he rides in. He still doesn't sit well enough for me to trust him completely, we have to constantly remind him. And the more people in the car, the more distracted he gets and the more reminders he needs.

Phineasmama

Yeeah, I've got the same problem. DD1 turned 6 in February and I thought she was doing ok in a booster but I ended up having to re-harness her because she just cannot sit right. She knows what she needs to do but she always ends up leaning away from the shoulder belt, leaning over to play with her baby sister, or doing something else she's not supposed to be doing. I have to constantly watch her in the rear view mirror to make sure she's sitting nice, which is also not safe.

glockchick

The girl is driving me nuts lately. I'm constantly looking back to make sure she's sitting right. She doesn't want to be harnessed again so maybe if I have her ride in the FR a couple times it will help her remember to sit right at least for a little while. If that works I'll wash, rinse, repeat as needed. :rolleyes:

Or I could use it as an excuse to buy a couple HWH seats.... :evil grin:

tiggercat

The girl is driving me nuts lately. I'm constantly looking back to make sure she's sitting right. She doesn't want to be harnessed again so maybe if I have her ride in the FR a couple times it will help her remember to sit right at least for a little while. If that works I'll wash, rinse, repeat as needed. :rolleyes:

If she fits, why not just keep her in the harness? I totally would, but I have big torso kiddos and she knows it's an empty threat.

aept

This is what I'll do if DS1 is not remembering well enough to stay in place. Just switch seats around temporarily and give him a week in the FR85 to help enforce good position.
My guy has been pretty good but not perfect. One ride recently, DH and I threatened taking away iPad privileges and since then he was "remembering" a lot better! ;)
He is 6, will be 7 in August (eep! - that sounds so old!)
I don't want to buy any more HWH seats. I'm pretty sure he only fits in the frontier at this point, and I'm using it for ds2. I feel he is capable of riding safely in the booster and he does know its a privilege, so to speak, that comes with responsibilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

glockchick

If she fits, why not just keep her in the harness? I totally would, but I have big torso kiddos and she knows it's an empty threat.

I may, but right now I have 2 vehicles and 2 harnessed seats, one in each vehicle for DS. I could move the other FR to the car where we ride the most, but when I have more than 3 kids with me, I have to take the suburban so I'd have to move them both back then.

To throw another wrench in the spokes, sometimes I have to chunk DD's booster in the trunk so I can pick up an older kid. I'm not sure the FR would fit in the trunk plus it'd be a pita to install and uninstall every time I had to do that which is admittedly not that often, but I like to find reasons to complain aka "justify" new seats. ;)

You guys are really not helping with the enabling at all here..... :jive:

thtr4me

My DS1 is not booster ready either, and he recently turned 7yo. He has ridden in a booster maybe once or twice, with lots of reminders on how to sit.

nannykates

I've had luck with the harmony folding booster being quite tight around my booster rider. I also got one of those mirror that attach to your rearview mirror (this is my care giver to a special needs child self not my tech self saying this) and it actually helps her not move when talking to me because she can see my face.

Ellie173

I had no choice but to booster my 6yo nanny kid, mostly I didn't know there were other options available before I came here. I took a piece of paper, taped it to the headrest of the seat in front of her, each day I didn't have to remind her to sit properly she got a sticker. At first I was a bit more lenient and would give her 1 warning per ride but after a week she started catching on. After 5 stickers she would get a treat or we would do something like go to the park. It helped her a lot to have a visual reminder to sit correctly. She was an awful car rider before that and it was a big turn around in a short time.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
DH's granddaughter is a horrible booster rider. She hasn't ridden in my car in about a year, but her mother tells me she hasn't gotten any better. She's in a booster pretty much full time now; she's pretty much at the maximum height for the FR85 I bought her a couple of years ago. She went into a booster before age 3 because she outgrew her SafeSeat2 and, at the time, her mom didn't see anything wrong with it (and our state law is no help; she's big and we only have a size minimum, no weight minimum). I bought her an Apex for my car when she was 4 because I couldn't get her to sit right in the booster. Then when she was about 5, her mom came around to the idea of re-harnessing her and I bought her the FR85 which she's been using in the main car for a couple of years.
She is neurotypical, just... stubborn and squirmy. I was hoping she'd really be booster ready by now, but there's not much I can do really. She is only rarely in my care anymore. Even if she were, if her mom is right and she hasn't changed much since I was watching her every day (stopped a little over a year ago), I'm not sure there's anything to be done. She is the way she is. I just hope she learns eventually.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC